IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Walking or running?

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by allison smith, Jun 1, 2020.

1. allison smith

allison smith New Member

For those who enjoy long stretches of time outdoors, do you prefer walking or running?

Obviously, walking is more sustainable for a longer time period, but running is better for working up a sweat. Walking, you can take in the scenery more, but hiking you can take in more scenery.

2. theforumguy

theforumguy New Member

What an interesting question Allison.

Personally, I prefer walking. Long stretches of time in the outdoors can be extremely relaxing, and scientifically speaking, it can have a lot of health benefits. I have always found that walking in the morning gives me an energy boost while running leaves me with soreness in my legs.

I may not be an expert, but my interest in science led me to a fascinating revelation. Running for long periods of time can elevate cortisol (stress hormone) levels in your blood. Walking, on the other hand, does not present this issue.

Due to the reasons listed above, even though I enjoy the occasional run, walking is my preferred means of exercise.

3. Christopher Bjarnson

Christopher Bjarnson New Member

If i had to choose one id go all in for walking but running gives you more exersise and allows you to be more healthier for many good and positive reasons

4. Eliza Glass

Eliza Glass New Member

Walking all the way! My love for scenic views and hatred for anything cardio are at odds, but walking is a lovely compromise. Though I understand the benefits of running, I just don't enjoy it. Besides, walking can be just as beneficial physically while being more gentle on joints. All the benefits of running with none of the injuries.

It also makes it easier to stop every once in a while and smell the roses in a sense. I like to take my time and enjoy the experience of exploring a new area, rather than rushing through it.

Good for all of you brave people who enjoy running, but just remember: the tortoise beats the hare.

5. 2wicked2quit

2wicked2quit New Member

When I run. I look like I just discovered I have legs and haven't quite figured out how to use them so walking for me :0

6. ja4lite

ja4lite New Member

Honestly, walking is better for me, namely because i have flat feet and running is like a punishment, especially going long-distance. I like to walk to get my grocery shopping done, doing at least 5 miles a week. It has keeps me in shape and allows for me to appreciate the little bit of nature that exists with the city confines.