IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What about mental health?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Terezia, Apr 29, 2020.

1. Terezia

Terezia New Member

Many people discuss the importance of mental health. As a psychology student, I feel the mission to talk about it.
    In my opinion, mental health is as important as phisical health. When I started to learn psychology, we talked a lot about the correlation of these twoo types of health. If we are not doing well mentally, we would feel so sick. We would have headaches, stomachaches because of anxiety. We could feel weakness. So, it is extremelly important to coach our mental health. For example, we need practice relaxation or meditation, in order to separate for example work and private life, and feel more confortable in life. We need manage our feelings. Since, I am learning in the field of mental health, I have developed the skill of manage emotions. I write it to a piece of document. Why not paper? Because I am blind and it is easier to do it with a conputer.
    So, let's coach our mental health as well. If you did not start, go for it.

2. cyan

cyan New Member

You are bringing up a very very important issue. Mental health is so overlooked, but it affects literally all aspects of life. In a world where we seek productivity at all all costs, workers and students are feeling more and more sick. If we don't take some time to take care of our mental health, we start to feel the impacts in all aspects of life, be it work, studies or personal issues. All of this can evolve into some pathology and worsen overtime.
    I also like to keep track of my emotions by writing, it feels like the thoughts are transported from my mind to the paper. It really helps with my anxiety. I also benefit a lot from therapy. Good to see you adapted to write in a computer, it's really good to see that everyone is able to take care of themselves. I just wish our world became a bit more empathetic regarding mental health.

3. Terezia

Terezia New Member

Thank you for your comment @cyan. You have written many very-very important things. It's a very important thing to manage your anxiety. You have taken the biggest step: Start to write and seeking therapy.
    My mission is creating a more empathetic World, and help many people who are in challenging situations in life.

cyan likes this.
  4. Elliot

Elliot New Member

Hooray! I originally clicked this category of the forums to see if there would be some mental health discussion. So glad to see there is a thread about it. I work as a volunteer for a mental health charity myself and I truly believe mental health support and treatment is something we need to talk about more. I do think we are getting better at acknowledging its existence compared to several years ago, but it's still one of those topics that can be considered taboo and can just be hard to talk about. There's also a large percentage of people that still believe mental health can be treated with it being ignored or you simply being a little more positive ("Just ignore the negative! Count your blessing!").

I really hate that, honestly. If you happened to break your bone or experienced some kind of physical health problem, you'd be encouraged to reach out and get help from a doctor right away. Mental health problems are no different. There is no shame in reaching out and asking for help if you are mentally struggling. It may not be a health problem that's as visible as some others, but it's still just as valid, and it can even be as dangerous as some other illnesses out there.

Terezia, I'm proud of you for pursuing psychology. This is a major I have also been considering myself. You also bring good points on how mental health can actually lead to physical health problems. That's exactly why it's so important for it be acknowledged and treated.

I hope everyone is staying safe and keeping their mental health in mind during these hard times. Take care of yourself.