IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What are some of the best foods for fighting Common Cold?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Mary Anne, Feb 5, 2019.

1. Mary Anne

Mary Anne New Member

Throughout history, people have been using several home remedies to treat a lot of illnesses. I want to get more options for treating common cold without using over-the-counter medication.

2. phanuruch

phanuruch New Member

I have always know that citrus fruits or fruits packed with Vitamin C are good for mitigating cold and its effects. In addition, you should consider ginger, ginseng, and rosemary brewed in tea. These three are very good and have been used for generations to treat colds and flu. They help to decongest a puffy nose, clear blocked airways and calm your nerves in the midst of a cold infection.

3. monaobispo

monaobispo New Member

Last December, there are a lot of people who got colds. In order to avoid that I told my children to take vitamin C whenever they feel some irritation or itchiness in their throat. When I see one of them beginning to develop colds, I immediately told them to take at least 1000 mg. of vitamin C, eat fruits, and drinks lots of water. I also prepared hot soup to them because colds, as I understand come from cold weather also. Someone told me that hot turmeric juice is good for common colds. If there's no turmeric, we drink hot ginger juice instead.

4. Margaret Nyambura

Margaret Nyambura New Member

I totally agree with Phanuruch and Monoabispo remedies for common cold treatment. Myself, I have used a mixture of ginger and garlic when I have a common cold and I have seen it do great, I just take the mixture for two days and the common cold clears by the time I am finishing the dose.

Study has also shown that, foods such as honey, broth, spicy foods, yoghurt and green vegetables cure common cold. Honey has antibacterial effects and is known to suppress coughing. Yoghurt contain beneficial probiotics which help both adults and children get a cold less often and heal faster when sick. Dark green vegetables are loaded with beneficial plant compounds which act as antioxidants to protect cells from damage and help fight inflammation.