IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What are your thoughts on the movie Goodfellas?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by RootsForTheGroove, Jan 20, 2021.

1. RootsForTheGroove

RootsForTheGroove New Member

I re-watched the movie again just now and it remains one of my favorite movies of all time and I think it's Scorsese's best movie too. It's an incredibly immersive movie, especially for a biopic. You feel like you're in the mafia for 2 1/2 hours.

2. Light

Light New Member

Perhaps the most awful moment in the whole of Goodfellas is when Tommy heads to what he thinks is the ceremony in which he’ll be made and gets killed. As Henry explains the whole thing, we get a haunting look and how strictly the mafia stick to their rules: “It was revenge for Billy Batts, and a lot of other things.
    What makes Goodfellas arguably the best mob movie ever made is that it doesn’t just depict hitmen killing people for mafiosos and gangsters stealing cigarettes out of trucks. It also shows the seductive nature of the mafia lifestyle.
    Part of what makes Goodfellas the quintessential mob movie is its exploration of the mob lifestyle and what leads people into organized crime in the first place.
    To conclude Goodfellas is a great movie worthy watching.

Lighta likes this.
  3. Randal Shinn

Randal Shinn New Member

I spent a period of my life when I had no T.V. in my house except for a VHS of Goodfellas. Not the greatest movie to fall asleep to every night. That aside, what a great story. Could you imagine having people like that for neighbors. I wish.

4. modollaz247

modollaz247 New Member

Chilly night scenes are an addiction for Scorsese. Goodfellas is a transcontinental "cocaine" network classic and thesis of "the mob v. everyone else" syndrome. Scorsese creates targeted content on fraud, embezzlement, police payoffs, with investigators descending on Ray Liotta and crew like a mother watching out the window when you didn't come home before the street light came on.

But, he managed to do something highly unusual: despite the mutterings of a just-another-mob-movie, he succeeded in outrunning his own ghosts and showing the travesty of reality that gangsters typically face prison time on drug charges. This group includes mistresses, ex-wives, and old drug cases that often lead to suicides and cooperativeness of "rats" once facing federal time.

So many sad outcomes have come true when dealing with mob movies. Some think the government should go easy on a man now in his 60s or 70s who is not charged with any violent offenses. However, there will always be muscling to snitch on everybody - it's just that kind of ugly.