IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What do you consider when buying a good laptop?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by KIAMS, Jan 27, 2018.

1. KIAMS

KIAMS New Member

For me,a nice and better laptop is based on HARD DISC,RAM and the speed it has for manipulation of data.What is your opinion?

Kimjongo likes this.
  2. coolprogramer36

coolprogramer36 New Member

First of all I search about the performance that it can give to me, I am a gamer and I want to ensure that I get a none lag performance. I also check the RAM of it ,at least 4GB is good but higher is better. I also check the GPU of it that if it can give me a realistic display than I can enjoy. I also check the price of it, even it cost so much I will buy it.

3. Tru Aveli

Tru Aveli New Member

I own a Hp laptop and before leaving home to get it I had only three things on my mind. The first thing being a windows 10 activated Intel core i5 processor and since I am a hip hop head I wanted a huge storage for my music, so the second thing I asked for was 1Tb hard disk.
    The final consideration was RAM and since it is just a personal computer I got 4GB RAM.

4. daviels

daviels New Member

What am going to use it for.If i want a school or work laptop and the work i do is not gpu dependent ill go for a longer lasting battery and a bright screen for use even out doors.when i need a gaming laptop i will go for a higher perfomance laptop with a good gpu,a better performing cpu which should be atleast a quad core and more ram and lastly my budget and what i can afford at the moment

5. AWorld8Part

AWorld8Part New Member

I think that the definition of what a good laptop is depends on what the buyer intends to use it for, although there are some qualities that I would never overlook, regardless of how I will use the computer.

The most basic feature I look at is the hardware, since this is more difficult to change than other features. Memory can be expanded through the use of such things as external hard drives and portable media, so I tend to pay less attention to total amount of existing memory than to expansion capacity. The same principle holds true for other features, such as speakers, keyboard, etc.

The second thing I look for is the availability of apps, as well as the ease of expanding built-in functionality by doing minor scripting or configuration. I have never found the perfect computer out of the box, but a computer that can be easily enhanced is much more valuable to me than one that does not allow this.

The last major factor I look for is cost of long-term ownership. Catching a sale now is not as appealing to me if I know that I saved $200 on the purchase price, only to spend many times that on items required to run that machine over the time that I plan to own it.

In summary: purchase a computer that has quality hardware and make sure the hardware will support the functions you need; look for a computer whose functionality is easy to expand through the use of hardware, software, apps, and peripherals; and be mindful of how much you will need to spend to keep that machine running the way you want it to run until you decide to part ways with it.

6. Kinyamwangi

Kinyamwangi New Member

This will be funny but when I bought mine I sought approval so I just bought a big expensive laptop but now I know better so I prefer the brand name as it comes with lots of suggestions from many people

7. EfficientNinja

EfficientNinja New Member

A good laptop for me is one that can do what I need it to do. For example, if I need a laptop for basic internet browsing, almost all laptop even used ones will fit my criteria because I don't need a powerful one. I only need one with a large enough RAM and a fast enough CPU to handle Google Chrome.

But when I need one for computer games, I will need a laptop with the latest GPU and a more powerful model at that. Its CPU needs to be fast enough to not bottleneck the performance of the GPU.

That's my simple guide to choosing a laptop according to my needs. :)

Last edited: Apr 8, 2018
  8. Nancy Obi

Nancy Obi New Member

Things to consider when buying new laptop are the hard disk, processor speed (CPU), and the Ram.

9. Lighta

Lighta New Member

Personally, main items to check before buying the Laptop are;
    1. Form factor
    2. The CPU type
    3. The screen quality
    4. Keyboard
    5. Performance
    You should aim, at least an Intel Core i3 processor, which will comfortably cope with web browsing and office work.
    Laptops with Core i7 chips are expensive, but super-quick, so are worth considering if you want the best possible performance.

10. Hova

Hova New Member

The truth is buying a new laptop is not easy, there is so many things to consider and sometimes it can get a bit confusing. If you are looking to spend hundreds or even thousands of dollars on your laptop, you want to make sure you get a good value for your money.
    First things first, do you prefer using Windows, macOS or Chrome os? There is no right or wrong answer and it is usually best to stick with what you know.
    Windows is by far the most common platform so you've got the greatest range of laptops to choose from. MacOS is obviously exclusive to Apple macbooks and macbook pros which are very beautiful machines and finally chromebooks running chrome os.
    Personally though, I tend to prefer going for a Windows 10 laptop because there is so much choice which means I can pay what I want and get the specs and features I need. And if you are into gaming, windows machines are pretty much your only option right now.
    The whole time you are using your laptop you are looking at your screen so you want to make sure it looks good. Firstly, make sure it has an IPS screen as they offer the most better color accuracy and viewing angle.
    It is super important to understand what kind of performance you are going to get from the laptop so there is three things to consider, the processor(Intel core i3, i5 or i7), RAM(4Gb, 8Gb or 16Gb), storage and graphics card if you are into gaming.

11. NoviceNinja

NoviceNinja New Member

When I buy a new laptop, the first thing that I try to figure out is budget. How much am I willing to spend on a laptop that usually I use for around 3 years or so.

Then, the next thing I do is ask myself what is the primary use of this laptop. So, if I will be using it for gaming, animation, or other graphics work, I would get a high-end gaming laptop which costs more. If it is just for basic office applications like word processing, a mid-range laptop is enough for me. Usually about $400 in price.

Then I consider the hardware that I need, like RAM, processor, hard disk space, do I still need an optical drive? I also think about its value for money and reselling price after 3 years. Always consider a laptop from a trusted brand to have a high resale value.

Hope this helps.

12. Kenway98

Kenway98 New Member

When I go shopping from the mall, I always look for the branch of the laptop. So this is the list that I consider when buying a good laptop;
    • First of all check the specification of each laptop.
    • Know and examine the specification of each laptop you consider.
    • Try to understand which is good CPU, Video card and a right amount of RAM installed in the laptop.
    • Lastly, Try to operate it and check if there's something wrong in the system before you buy it.
    After all, this is only my opinion and I hope it helps you.

13. Rommel

Rommel New Member

Hi when Buying a laptop I should always consider the Following.
    1. Brand
    2. Specification & build
    3. Price
    4. Size
    First the brand because I want to insure reliability, quality, good standard and support and you can always find this in those laptop that has good brands. Second the specification, If i will be unto gaming I should buy faster laptop with high end graphics card, but if not unto gaming standard specs should work. The laptop build also is good to check out for because we need to make sure that It is build to last so we can always relay on it. Next is the Price, I always consider this, I don't look to very expensive laptop and Instead check the cheaper one. I need to balance the price and specs and this is a smart way to consider buying laptop. Lastly the size. at the moment i'm not traveling much so if I buy a laptop I will get the bigger one. 15 inches or 17 inches. but if you think you travel much, then I advice buying smaller laptop 13 inches or 14 inches.