IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What Do You Look For In Music?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Pipergale, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Pipergale

Pipergale New Member

As someone who loves music, and likes to talk about it with friends and family, I've noticed that there are usually two types of music listeners - those who listen for the lyrics, and those who listen for the melodies and such.

I have many cousins who will listen to a song, even if they don't particularly enjoy the melodies. If the lyrics are good, then they will consider the song a great one, which I don't understand. For me, everything has to be there for me to like a song, though I do fall into the category of people who listen for melody and harmony over lyrics.

Which category do you fall into?

2. dave david

dave david New Member

I like the combination, either one or the other or both. I love music....my current crush is Steam Powered Giraffe, Honeybee and the video is cool, as they have added mime, costumes and performance art to brighten up my music listening. I just wish they traveled further from home to perform.

3. lerxst

lerxst New Member

I listen for the music. I'm not really a sentimental person so the majority of song lyrics mean very little to me. The actual music though, and the singer's voice, if applicable, are much more important. I really enjoy a great guitar solo the most and think that in a funny way, they can convey so much more emotion than words. I also appreciate a singer with a fantastic voice, even if they aren't my preferred genre.

4. Brizeida

Brizeida New Member

I am a lover and supporter of vary eclectic musical genres. Thus, I think a lot and various stuff appeals to me whenever I listen to a piece of music. It's either the voice and melody, the combination of the two, or simply a certain feeling that the melody induces in me.
    In any way, music is perceived in a complex way, it's a sort of phenomena that stimulates us like no other. I can easily say that I look for the "magic" when I approach an unfamiliar musical piece.

5. workonb

workonb New Member

I tend to fall into both categories. If I really like the melody and beat of a song I will listen very closely to the lyrics. If the lyrics complement the song or enhance the song, I will love it even more. If the lyrics detract or take away from the song or simply do not appeal to me at all I will not listen to it, even if it is very popular. The song from Alicia Keys entitled, "101" would be a good example of a song that appeals to me lyrically and has a great melody.

6. waffleparty

waffleparty New Member

I can definitely appreciate good lyrics, but usually I listen to music with a good melody or beat. I think that's because music is usually in the background when I'm at work or cooking or doing something else where I am not really paying attention to the lyrics. I definitely have an easier time listening to music that has bad lyrics but a good melody as opposed to having good lyrics but a melody I don't like. I often listen to a lot of music in languages I don't speak just because the beat is catchy, or the music itself is enough to bring out an emotion. For me to really like a song though, I need to like the lyrics and the melody.

7. Hala Al-Tinawi

Hala Al-Tinawi New Member

The most important thing in a song for me is really the melody, if its something catchy and that I can keep up with I can listen to it 100 times. Lyrics are also pretty important for me, I dont like ugly and inappropriate lyrics I enjoy clean lyrics and something that I can really relate to. If a song brings out a certain memory or feeling, I become very attached to it. Like if i were to hear a song in a certain place like an airport or airplane that song will usually take me back to that place and the feelings that I was feeling. Even if those feelings are sad, I will want to listen to that song again to bring up those feelings again.

8. SleepySnake

SleepySnake New Member

I depends on what mood I'm in. If I want a quiet relaxing song to listen to, then I think clear meaningful lyrics with a soothing rich and distinctive voice is very tasteful. In a social situation, an uptempo catchy rhythmic tune works well, and I like something that stands out from the rest, as I get bored of monotonous and very similar dance tracks. In general though a singer or a band has to stand out for me. I can spot ability and accomplishment in most genres. Be it a trumpet or saxophone, or an energetic electric guitar, if something is fun and exciting, I'll love it! I agree melody is important, as is the voice being tuneful. There are so many aspects that I'm saying that determine whether I think a song is catchy. Some foul language in an album is one thing, but I don't see the point of constant swearing. I really don't think that adds to music at all, and would put me off it. Too much foul language and monotony are the things that put me off.

9. jlcjackie

jlcjackie New Member

I love to listen music very much and love genres of the songs. I love to listen and to understand the whole structure of the song the music, melody, lyrics and the appeal of the arrangement this is very important in the music world, other listener likes the music but the lyrics was not good at all and in the other hand the lyrics are very good but the music or arrangement is not good this is have a very important role to the listener. When the music and lyrics are compatible wow you hit the jackpot, it means the mass appeal of the listeners that caught to their minds and hearts. I forgot the part that the artist too have a very important role in the song. What ever music, melody or lyrics that we hear the big part is on us the listeners, we can't judge others in choosing their music or songs or what they like it's a matter of freedom in the right limitations

10. rahman quadri

rahman quadri New Member

I think it really depends on the performance and quality of the song. I listen to all types of music and feel like I have heard poor from each types. I look for compelling lyrics and a powerful instrumental to give the song a bright kick along with it. I would say when looking for a song I would be willing to try anything, but I think the performance matters most

11. fuzyon

fuzyon New Member

It depends on the genre I want to listen to.
    If I plan on listening to some rock or hip hop I'll pay more attention to the lyrics and the melody. I want it to send a message.
    If I listen to dubstep I pay a lot of atention to the beat and how the producer made the song and melody.

12. sugarbooger

sugarbooger New Member

I am 60/40 preferring lyrics to the music in that if the lyrics are too offensive, but the music is awesome, sometimes it will ruin the song for me. Lyrics and the meanings of the songs have a lot of influence on me. I wish I could make playlists for a living. I look for music that will transport me for a little while. If you ever watch Imagine Dragons perform "Radioactive" live, you will see what I mean. It is hypnotic.

13. abhinahi77

abhinahi77 New Member

My taste is in soft melodies. One that calms your mind and gives you peace. One of my favorite songs being "nothing gonna change my love for you" :)

14. Tofindwithvalue

Tofindwithvalue New Member

I agree that both lyrics and music could benefit in a song. Although, to me the lyrics would have somewhat more significance than the music. My preference is various genres of music. Being able to feel that a song could be reasonable in ways is another thing I'd look for about a song.

15. Ibrahim neko

Ibrahim neko New Member

I also agree with Tofindwithvalue - both the lyrics and the melody are important. I really think though that on an individual basis it would depend on the genre of music. I'm a hip-hop fan and I believe every good hip-hop has to have lyrics that make sense, sound good (have a good flow), rhyme, and obviously the beat has to be on point.

16. Shine_Spirit

Shine_Spirit New Member

I always look for originality. I think this is the key factor that makes me listen to a song more than once, or to accompany an artist, go to a show, buy a cd, etc. In a world where musical plagiarism is such an easy thing to do, it's difficult to get through with so many famous names and to consolidate as a true artist.

Unfortunately, not everything that makes success is original (the great majority is very generic, at least for me). I think the originals always have a nebulous path to success (which for me, it's very unfair).