IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What do you think of Stoicism?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Apathetic, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Apathetic

Apathetic New Member

I've read a few things about Stoicism and while I have been called a "stoic" in the past, I find myself wondering if it's a school of thought that can be applied in our daily lives. The concept of stoicism is to distance yourself from events and understand that it is only your perception that cause you to feel the way you do. For example, if something bad happens to you, you have the ability to be unfazed by whatever that occurrence might have been and understand that you can control how you feel and think about the situation.

I'm grossly oversimplifying it here but I'd like to have your input (if you know/have read about Stoicism).

2. butterfly2015

butterfly2015 New Member

My friend, Stoicism can absolutely be applied to everyday life. I strongly encourage you to check out the book The Obstacle Is the Way by Ryan Holiday. Read the book or listen to the audio. I downloaded the audio and listened to it on my mp3 player, several times. Either way, it is packed with info that will answer your questions. Good luck!

3. Roman Williams

Roman Williams New Member

Always remember that a nation is born stoic and dies epicurean. Due to entropy, nations are going to have down times and may even lead to destruction. The stoics are the people that find the good life. A stoic is someone who pays their dues now so they may reap exponential benefits later.
    You will probably find this book very interesting to finding the good life http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/01...&tag=romanwilliams-20&linkId=34DLJY3CWUFQQFH4