IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What is your favorite medium in Art?

Discussion in 'Art' started by HappyHeart, Sep 21, 2015.

1. HappyHeart

HappyHeart New Member

As a painter I have used many different mediums. There are many different ones.
    Acrylic, Oils, Pastels, Crayon, Watercolor, Pencil ect.

Coloring as a child in my favorite coloring book has survived its way into my future where I now enjoy quality time coloring with my 3 year old grandson. Did you ever do finger painting in grade school? Doodle on a paper while talking on the phone?

We are blessed with so many different mediums to create art. Which do you prefer?

2. shygal

shygal New Member

Acrylic paint is my favorite art medium. I like how fast it dries. If you mess up, it is easy to paint over once it's dried. They are less expensive than oil paints and do not have a strong or harmful fume. I also like how versatile acrylic paint can be. You can paint on just about anything if a canvas is not available. The colors are so bright and vibrant.

3. Van Gogh

Van Gogh New Member

Whatever medium you use, "I think you need to use your emotions along with your eyes". I think Andrew Wyeth said this, and I would agree. I really like pencil drawing, especially coloured pencil because it dosen't
    compete with painting.

4. icanbe

icanbe New Member

As an animator and illustrator, I find that I love illustrating line drawings in pencil and ink. Even though animation is going in the three dimensional direction, I can't let go of the pencil! I feel line drawings are very compelling and emotionally driven, especially when it comes to character drawings. I love to create emotion and find that pen and ink allow gives way to a very realistic finish.

5. poppycat

poppycat New Member

As an artist who's worked in many different mediums, I find something to love about each of them, except perhaps, oil pastels. They're just not right for me. The medium I prefer at the present time is acrylics. I've been using them for several years, and I love the versatility and quick-drying time. I'm still learning and experimenting. I like building up multiple glazes of color, using an acrylic glazing medium.

Long ago, I worked in oils and watercolors. I have to admit, I loved the smell of oil paints. Working in them was a bit intoxicating and always put me in mind of the old masters. But the cleanup and slow drying time were a pain.

Watercolors are a beautiful mystery unto themselves—capable of producing magical works of art—but easily overworked and destroyed.

6. hobaki

hobaki New Member

For now I am focusing more on digital painting but when it comes to traditional paintings, what I like the most is the oil paint. Although it will take you time before it dries but this medium gives you a smooth flow when you use it. It well blends to other colors and since it gives you long duration of time before it dries, you can still blend other colors if ever you are not satisfied with the result of your art. Some or most artists used liquid oil for them to work it more easily and smooth because if you don't put liquid oil (this product can be bought in art stores) on it, although it dries easily compared to the one with oil, the flow of your brush is not as ease as to the one with oil.

Second one is the acrylic paint. A lot of artist prefer the medium acrylic because it dries fast. What I like about acrylic is that even the illustration board or canvas you use was a used canvas and you just want to recycled it because you want to save money , you can still use it because it will just give you layers when it dry. I like using acrylic especially when I really need to finish the comissions that was assigned to me and acrylic is much appreciated by a lot of artist.

I have tried using different medium and I can say that both medium are easy to control although they are differ from each other.

7. Ashley O'Neal

Ashley O'Neal New Member

My favorite art medium is a good, old fashioned, pencil and paper. I absolutely love the sound of a pencil scratching against paper. The sound is so relaxing to me.

Another reason is that there are so many opportunities to add depth and texture to a traditional sketch. A lot of artists underestimate the amount of things you can do with just a pencil, but in my opinion, you can do almost anything.