IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What music genre(s) dominates in your country/ state?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Kibe, Oct 7, 2020.

1. Kibe

Kibe New Member

With different music genres emerging while others are splitting up, it would be interesting to know of the genre(s) and also subgenres currently dominating in your country.

2. Kookiest33

Kookiest33 New Member

I currently reside in Pennsylvania and my town is dominated by country music. It may be different in other parts of PA but where I live we have a lot of forests, farms, and other country type areas. Because of this, many people around me have grown to like country music in a kind of "what around you controls your taste" effect. This is unfortunate for me because I have never been a fan of country music. Most people who don't listen to country music are fans of rap or hip-hop. This is mainly due to the rise of rap in popular music that has been increasing for a few years. Personally, I prefer this genre to the country genre so I'm not complaining.

3. Jessica Thienes

Jessica Thienes New Member

Living in MN, a stand out music capital of the US, there is a movement to not only generate new content, but to recognize those who came before us. Prince is still "king" here in so many ways.

However, with the rural areas that are prevalent in our state, country is still very popular. Festivals for country music attract thousands of concert goers every year and the music that speaks to the working man is still widely enjoyed. I think there is something about country music's acknowledgement and praise of working with your hands, of being outdoors, of earning an "honest day's wage", and the central focus on family that speaks very strongly to MN culture. As a state that experiences quite a few extremes in the weather, we also appreciate the difficulties of working outdoors and I think that the recognition that country music gives to that resonates with our listeners.

4. Heithun

Heithun New Member

I'm from a slavic country named North Macedonia, above Greece, and here old folk songs and a new genre called turbo-folk are emerging and growing fast. The genre is just like some trap/rap with autotune and lyrics are about girls, money, and rich living with flexing, but people go crazy for it and they call you crazy if you don't listen to it...