IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What programming languages do you know?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by KenBrace, Apr 12, 2015.

1. KenBrace

KenBrace Staff Member Administrator

I've been into programming for less than a year now so I don't have that many languages on my belt.

My main strength at the moment is web development. I'm fluent in HTML and CSS and I know enough PHP + Javascript to build pretty much anything.

When working on large projects I still have to do a lot of learning though. I make several stops at the W3C, Stack Overflow, etc. when I'm working. I'm sure this will pretty much always be the case no matter how much I learn though. When it comes to programming, even the senior developers learn new stuff everyday.

I'm also learning C# at the moment. I have a lot to learn but I'm picking it up fairly quickly and know enough to make basic games, apps, etc.

So what sort languages do you know?

Are you learning any at the moment?

nourrashedd and torreyy like this.
  2. dave david

dave david New Member

I know a bunch of old ones, that are no longer of any use, but I have an arduino and it is close enough to C++ and C## that I can get it to blink. Now the Intel Galileo is a horse of a different color and I have got it to boot, but need to do a ton more to figure out how to get windows on it, and then to port over some code to make it look like and arduino.

similarly the little raspberry Pi is cool and the newer more powerful version is out now, for the same price as the Pi.

3. GearZ

GearZ New Member

Most of my professional experience in coding is with Visual Basic (everything the ancient 1.0 for DOS to .NET), some xBase (dBase, FoxPro, etc.), database systems (Access, SQL server, etc.), and naturally some web-based technologies (e.g., HTML, etc.). I've done a little code work in C, but I didn't stick with it for very long.

One I would really like to dive into if I had the time is Xojo. It is a BASIC dialect that compiles cross platform (Win32, Mac OSX, Linux, and web).

4. gadin210

gadin210 New Member

I am currently a computer science major and I am learning c++. I enjoy it, but I cant stand pointers! Oh well, thats all that c++ is basically. We are learning java in a few semesters, so im excited about that!

5. theninjawoohoo

theninjawoohoo New Member

I may not be as good with you guys with programming languages, but one thing I really want is the ambition to learn these languages. I've been on Code Academy recently and my motivation has been really killing it. Is it really worth it to major in something like programming with all the competition out there? I'm not too sure myself. :/

6. bLade

bLade New Member

I am a computer science graduate and the programming languages I know are Visual Basic, C, C++, Java, C# and Cobol. The first programming language I learned is Visual Basic and this is mainly the reason why I choose Computer Science. The one programming language I enjoy the most is C# because of it's drag and drop feature and simple GUI (Graphical User Interface) which makes it more easy to use. I mainly use C# for developing desktop applications like turn-based games and information systems. For me, learning a new programming language is optional but practicing and mastering a certain programming language is definitely a must.

7. DirkZiff

DirkZiff New Member

Hоw mаnу рrоgrаmmіng lаnguаgеs уоu knоw hаs nо соrrеlаtіоn wіth whеthеr оr nоt уоu аrе аn "оffісіаl sоftwаrе еngіnееr," (*) рrоvіdеd thе numbеr іs grеаtеr thаn оr еquаl tо 1.

Ноwеvеr, bеіng оvеrlу соnсеrnеd аbоut mіstаkеnlу lеаrnіng thе wrоng рrоgrаmmіng lаnguаgеs, оr thе wrоng numbеr оf рrоgrаmmіng lаnguаgеs, іs а surе mаrk оf аn аmаtеur. Оnсе уоu hаvе lеаrnеd уоur fіrst lаnguаgе іn а gіvеn сlаss оf lаnguаgеs, рісkіng uр оthеrs оf thе sаmе сlаss іs rеаllу nоt hаrd аt аll: іf уоu knоw С++, іt wіll tаkе уоu nо mоrе thаn а fеw dауs tо gеt usеfullу рrоduсtіvе іn Јаvа, fоr ехаmрlе, еvеn іf уоu dоn't уеt knоw аll іts іns аnd оuts. Јumріng bеtwееn lаnguаgе сlаssеs (е.g., gоіng frоm Јаvа tо Соmmоn Lіsр) іs hаrdеr but lоts оf реорlе dо іt suссеssfullу.

(*) Тhеrе іs nо suсh thіng аs аn "оffісіаl sоftwаrе еngіnееr." Ѕоftwаrе еngіnееrіng іs nоt а lісеnsеd рrоfеssіоn lіkе sоmе оthеr kіnds оf еngіnееrіng, sо thеrе's nо оffісіаl bоdу tо grаnt thе tіtlе; уоu аrе а рrоfеssіоnаl sоftwаrе еngіnееr thе mоmеnt sоmеоnе рауs уоu tо dо sоftwаrе еngіnееrіng, whісh dоеsn't nесеssаrіlу rеquіrе аnу fоrmаl еduсаtіоn аt аll.

8. rachel83az

rachel83az New Member

I used to know PHP fairly well. Good enough to fix things that were broken, but not quite advanced enough for other things. Right now, I'd like to learn C#. Unity 5 being made free(er) has renewed my interest in programming. Sadly, I've got a lot of things going on right now, so that my programming skills aren't progressing as fast as I'd like them to.

9. gabr1ela

gabr1ela Member

I know my native language, it is logical, but also Spanish and English, the two languages I learned more from television, I looked at some serials and was able to learn something from both.
    But still the basic language to be able to learn all your Internet is English, not the language I do not think I could learn something, how can you know would be to download a picture, if we think that many do not know how to even this.

10. Rex

Rex New Member

I'm fluent at C, C++, and Python. It's been a while since I programmed anything in Python so I might need some memory refresher whenever I need to use it, but I'm programming in C and C++ quite frequently. I'm even taking a programming course right now for my Electrical Engineering major in university, I was hoping they'd teach the course in Java, but they chose C for some reason or another. I don't feel like I'm gaining much from it to be honest.

As of now, I'm trying to learn PHP and HTML, and I'll probably jump to MySQL right after. I'm interested in web design in general so I probably won't stop there. Java and JavaScript are a priority as well once I have free time.

11. taylor0314

taylor0314 New Member

Hello,
    I actually know the two main coding programs. The two I know would happen to be HTML and CSS. I have been wanting to learn Javascript but I have not had time to do so. So I am hoping in the near future I will be able to learn it!

12. rojuslap

rojuslap New Member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  13. abhinahi77

abhinahi77 New Member

I would run away at the first instance whenever I had to learn any programming language. I am really, really poor at it. However, I still remember the time I was forced to learn at least one programming language was in my junior college days. The highest level I could ever achieve was couple of "printf, scanf" commands in C++. Apart from it, I learned a bit of industry-level PLC programming while pursuing my graduation.

14. Leky

Leky New Member

Java, C++, C#.net, PHP,HTML(not quite programming :) ) and python. Been programming for 5 years up to now

15. W Scribe

W Scribe New Member

My programming expertise ended with the end of the Commodore. Back then (mid 80's) I had learned simple programming which enabled me to build games but that was the most of it. I do want to learn some of today's languages but it's almost confusing figuring out where to begin and on which platform.

16. mou3ad15

mou3ad15 New Member

Well, Programming for me is just a hobby so I don't know a lot of languages, I'm a software coder and I know only four languages: C#, vb6, vb.net and some Pascal. But I only use vb.net to release people's requests.

These days, I'm trying to know how to handle java so I can code advanced types of software applications.

nourrashedd likes this.
  17. Bass

Bass New Member

I am relatively experienced in HTML and CSS - even though those are not actually programming languages, contrary to popular belief; they are mark-up languages. HTML and CSS are simply ways of adding context and structure to things. I currently know PHP and Javascript, but that is all. I am in the process of learning Java. (Note: Java and Javascript are not the same thing)

nourrashedd likes this.
  18. Scouten

Scouten New Member

Currently, I am fluent in HTML and CSS even though it is not really programming, as Bass said, and I am in the process of learning Java.

nourrashedd likes this.
  19. MononobeYuu7

MononobeYuu7 New Member

Right now, I am very proficient in Java and Python. As of recently, I am getting into a new language called Processing, developed by MIT folks. This language is mainly used for graphics, and although it uses Java syntax, it isn't that strong in Object Oriented Programming. I am also familiar with XML code because of my experience with coding for Android apps (using Java). I plan to be computer science major in college so I will probably have to learn a lot more.

KenBrace likes this.
  20. leonardo mclt

leonardo mclt New Member

I have been learning HTML and CSS, it has been really fun and interesting. I am in love with coding and programming languages, I feel that I can do a lot of things, and it has been less than a month since I started the course.
    I have a intermediate level of knowledge in these two languages that work together pretty well, and I am planning to learn PHP, Python, C++, Java and more.
    it has been really fun and I think I am capable of doing much better and learning many more programming languages to create something AMAZING!!the website I am currently using to learn HTML and CSS is this ---> http://www.codecademy.com. I highly recommend it for the ones that want to learn to code and don't know where to learn programming languages.