IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What unhealthy foods you just can't let go?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Fergus1234, Apr 29, 2015.

1. Charlene Little

Charlene Little New Member

Unfortunately, I am a creature of habit. While I have let go of many of my bad habits, and I have let go of some truly unhealthy dietary options, some things I just cannot let go of. These are things my brain automatically turns to without contemplating. Of course, once I purchase the item and it is in my home, I cannot bring myself to waste it, which is of course an excuse. Basically, until something drastic happens, red meat will be a staple item, potatoes will be a staple item, and a huge mug of coffee will get me through early mornings.

I would like to hear whether other people have certain "go-to" items they subconsciously pick up without thinking about it. Do you make excuses for yourself like I do or do you battle the urge and just let it go to waste?

2. chingam116

chingam116 New Member

I have had a binge eating disorder for approximately 2 years now and I am sick of it. It started out as severe eating disordered behaviors where I lost weight and later turned into daily. Eventually I was able to stop eating disordered behaviors every day. The 2nd year it would be about once a week and then I would try to get rid of it and the cycle would continue. During the 2nd year I was also participating in ED behaviors therefore not gaining a lot of weight from my behaviors. This past summer, though, I was able to stop myself from ED behaviors and maintain healthy eating habits with very few behaviors. Once school started it was back to ED behaviors. I’have gained a few pounds since the summer and I am miserable. This last week I have had dailyED behaviors and I am trying to blame it on the holidays but that isn’t the problem. It’s me. I make great efforts to fix things but I cant stick to it and I feel my life crumbling around me and I don’t know what to do. I want to stop ED behaviors but I literally can’t. I know therapy wont help because I’m not that kind of person. I don’t know what I’m supposed to do.

3. teighlor smith

teighlor smith New Member

One unhealthy food I just can't let go is French Fries because they are my absolute favorite food, because they are so salty and crunchy.

4. JerrodS

JerrodS New Member

Ha, I was confused, at first, why were you talking about a type of fish as being unhealthy as fish meat is pretty much the best type of meat you can have ... but a quick Google search revealed that Swedish Fish has more in common with gummy bears than tuna ;).

Personally, I'd have to say pizza, to be honest. I tend to stay away from unhealthy foods for the most part these days, but there are times when there's nothing like a large, steaming pizza with hot sauce.

5. Tyi

Tyi Member

This is really funny. I have seen "Swedish Fish" in the store and have been tempted to buy some. I don't like all gummy candies but, I do like "Sour Patch Kids". I also like the sour straws. Gummy candy tastes a lot better with the sour coating on it. Now are the Swedish Fish more like the fruit snacks?

6. elliemae1678

elliemae1678 New Member

There are so many unhealthy foods that I can't let go, but soda and candy would be the top two. I drink way too much soda. Seriously, I have been known to wipe out a two liter in a single day.

I actually wonder sometimes if I'm addicted to candy. I love Sour Patch Kids, Starburst and cinnamon disks. I usually have a few pieces of one or the other after every meal. It's embarrassing.

I think what makes it harder for me, in a way, is that I don't have a weight problem so there's no real motivation for me to give the soda and candy up. Although the fact that my kids have pointed out my bad behavior lately has made me feel more pressure to make some healthier choices.

7. BloomingThrough

BloomingThrough Member

I tend to find my self wanting sweets such as cookies, candy, chips. Generally snacks or what we would call junk food. I try to limit myself and only if I've done good eating healthy through the week, I may go buy some Oreos or have a laffy taffy or some chips. I feel like if you are eating healthy foods on a daily basis it's okay to treat yourself. I don't believe in "cheat days" because those seem like people make a whole day to just do bad. Eat healthy as much as you can and if you feel the urge to have a snack go for it. The good out weighs the bad.

8. Beachgurl87

Beachgurl87 New Member

Unfortunately, I have a sweet tooth. I'm not diabetic, but the route I'm taking just might lead me there. At the same time I just have to have them. Chocolate is my weekness. What is it about us that causes us to continue eating something that we know is bad for us? After all, anything and everything that tastes good is generally the bad.

Moderation is the key to a successful diet. At least, that's what my college professor once told me. So tell me, when it comes to chips, can you really just eat one?

9. Sidney McCall

Sidney McCall New Member

My goodness, this thread is how I feel about my healthy eating life! I love eating healthy because I love how my body feels but oh boy, I sure do miss the foods I grew up on like triple cheese baked macaroni and other great things I grew up on. I still have cravings for the strawberry cream pies from McDonald's. French fries are also a weakness of mine, but thank goodness I can get those frozen in the organic aisle at the grocery store.

I do miss many things that I had to let go to eat healthy especially since I breastfeed my 3-month-old daughter, but I have found that I can find many of those things in the organic aisle which helps me curb my cravings. We also found this company that I invested in which is a health company which gives us 30 organic whole raw fruits and veggies in capsule form and in the form of chews and shakes. The shakes have helped me curb my sweet cravings which I have all of the time.

Pretty soon, my husband and I are going to be getting a tower garden so we can grow our own fruits and vegetables, so hopefully, that will help me keep my eating in check.

10. Isaiah Guto

Isaiah Guto New Member

I thank all other contributors for their inputs about the unhealthy lifestyles they lead. Sometimes back, I I use to eat a lot of french fries with a coke. However, I reduced substantially, but I realized I have a craving for barbecued meat. In my country, we call the delicacy Nyama Choma. The resultant was the blossoming of a pot belly that I did not like. My objective this year is to do away with this food and hit the gym.

11. Sikka

Sikka New Member

I find it REALLY hard to avoid cookies and chips. Mainly chips. I can sit and eat an entire bag in one go!