IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What was the first computer you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by KenBrace, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Alexandoy

Alexandoy New Member

It was 1993 when I bought my IBM 86846 computer with 70 mb of disk storage. It was not a pentium yet and quite antiquated. If you care to know, it was running on MS-DOS although I was able to install Windows by tweaking. However, the booting takes about 5 minutes and a mouse click takes another 2 minutes. In short, that old computer of mine couldn't properly run Windows.

2. Bladehit

Bladehit New Member

The first computer I've owned was a Pentium 2 PC. I still remember how happy I was and how confused I was while I was installing Windows 98. I used it for quite a long time until it was getting outdated and bought a new one.

3. Sergio Louro

Sergio Louro New Member

My first computer was a "Prológica CP 200" of 8 bits, was a micro-based Sinclair line, Z80 processor with 16KB of RAM. I won on my 10th birthday (in 1984). It was exciting out of the box the device and turn on the TV, but ...

When I turned on TV and saw a flashing prompt on the screen and the machine did not answer my questions, Oh Deception! I was very disappointed, but it was also discovered that give a computer to be useful had to be programmed, and it is (or was?) a lot of fun.

The CP 200 was not very interesting in itself, you digitavas programs in BASIC and each key has called a BASIC command (type P to PRINT). I remember a game where the challenge was to land a plane (the symbol>) on a dirty airport green squares, another game more interesting it was a maze in low resolution in which the goal was to get away from a dinosaur, believe it was exciting.

At that time, the programs were saved and uploaded to the PC through a cassate tape. There was a whole vocabulary on top of that (azimuth was a term) and also several Mandingo so that the program load occurred without errors. The sound of cassette tape was a sharp noise.
    Anyway, I now have a 1.2GHz i3 8GB Ram.

4. Cal

Cal New Member

I remember in 1995 the family got it's first computer. It was something old and mass produced by a corporation for the Navy. I do not remember the name but I remember it was cutting edge back then. With top of the line software such as Windows 95 it could cruise the internet super highway using the hottest ISP around, AOL, at a blazing 56 kbit/s. Today such a computer would be considered junk and unusable but back then that computer introduced me to a world of technology I hadn't known. From that starting point I was hooked to the world of technology.

5. jainish

jainish New Member

My first computer was a dell machine. It was a second hand peice which i bought from a friend of mine. I still have that one lying somewhere in my store room, all i used to do was play games on it and do some of the accounts/data entry work for our grocery store business.

6. Sakitha Navod

Sakitha Navod New Member

My first computer was a desktop.My dad gave it as a gift for me and my brother in 2005. Operating System was Windows XP. It was a very low end PC can't even play a game without lagging.You know,I was a 11 year old kid back in the day and always trying to play games;). But it was very useful to me because I've learned many new things about Computers, Technology and many more.

It was a very old computer. So we sold it and bought a new PC. But what can I say? time flies so fast! Now I feels like that PC is out dated too. So I gave it to my father and I use it rarely.Every day technology is growing right? and we have to keep up with it! So now I'm saving my money to buy a brand new laptop fast as I can:).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2015
  7. a10rodrigues

a10rodrigues New Member

I remember my first computer had Windows XP and I used a lot, do not remember exactly which processor it was, but I remember I had 80 GB HD and 512 of ram. I rather liked it, drawing in paint, recorded my CDs, playing counter strike, empire earth.

I bought he in 2005 I think, I called him every day, but soon when I bought I had not internet, then used it only to play it. I remember that the browser was Internet exploer 6 that came with windows xp, had the paint, patience and other little programs that I used. If I am not mistaken I still have he guarded yet, but it no longer works, he burned in 2009, soon afterwards bought another and kept my damaged computer. :rolleyes:

8. mahendra

mahendra New Member

My first PC I aquired 8 years back second hand. A gigantic old hp business desktop running windows 2000. It accompanied a major old sort screen and in the end was moved up to windows XP. Despite everything I have it, yet will take it to the tip soon, as its never utilized. Its so ease back and disappointing contrasted with more present day machines.

9. Toni447

Toni447 New Member

My first, was a Compac Presario laptop. I do remember that night, very well. The year was 2000; the store was Office Depot; and the operating system was Windows 98.

I just loved the anticipation of being connected by the AOL dial-up way, as well as hearing that I had gotten mail. Woo-hoo... How about those days?

10. Red-z

Red-z New Member

The first computer I ever used and owned was a Toshiba Satellite 440cdt (1995). It was a gift from a family friend who lived abroad. The laptop came with Windows 95 installed and equipped with a built-in 3.5″ floppy drive and, believe it or not, a 1.5GB Hard Drive!

Although it was challenging to work with this little number, words just can’t describe how fun it was! Actually, the only way I had to get files in and out was to use the floppy drive. Well, for those who are not familiar with, it was a 1.4mB magnetic disk that did nothing but ruining your life! To copy the installation files of Windows 98, which were 250mB in size, I would use the floppy disk almost 200 times! Obviously, it was out of the question to use that floppy thing when I decided to upgrade to Windows 98. Instead, I established a parallel link with another computer via DB 25 port because both Ethernet and modem ports weren’t available. I was thrilled to pieces with the ‘achievement’ at the end, although it took me 72 hours of continuous research and work, day and night.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2015
  11. Jude

Jude New Member

My first computer was a ZX Spectrum 128K +2. In that time I was 16 years old and it was a christmas gift from my parents.
    I still have my first computer and it still works :)
    That computer doesn't have hard drive and the games are in tapes. It takes me several minutes to prepare a game to play. But after that I can play my beautiful old games :)