IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What was your favorite subject in school?

Discussion in 'Education' started by KenBrace, Apr 12, 2015.

1. KenBrace

KenBrace Staff Member Administrator

For most of us school was quite a burden growing up and we were more than happy to graduate.

Yes, I was very happy to graduate.

But school wasn't all bad. Some of it I actually enjoyed.

My aunt has a masters in mathematics and she tutored me for a few months in high school. I enjoyed that. I really learned a lot and my progress skyrocketed. I would go to her house once a week and would knock out a an entire weeks worth or study in one day.

I also enjoyed the literature course I took one year (I forget which year it was). It was mostly just reading and the books were fascinating. I read some of my all-time favorite novels during that year. That was great.

2. Alex

Alex New Member

I was a geek at school and a favorite of the teachers, but my favorite subject was history. I enjoyed it mainly because I didn't have to try very hard and I liked reading about historical characters and events.

I ended up reading history at University and it was so much better choosing the era rather than having specific ones to study. I still have all my old history books and encourage people to study history, because we can all learn lessons from the past.

yoyo88 likes this.
  3. lerxst

lerxst New Member

My favourite subject was history too. At school, we took a "Modern World" syllabus and covered World Wars I and II, Arab/Israeli conflict, apartheid and the suffragette movement. I liked the fact that these topics allowed me to understand current events and I'm grateful that I had the opportunity to study more modern topics. I'm sure that learning about the British monarchy or the history of agriculture would have bored me rigid.

I also enjoyed the social sciences and went on to gain a degree in Psychology. Again, I found these subjects to be relevant and useful to almost every facet of day-to-day life.

4. galmal

galmal New Member

Growing up, I loved reading and was always curled up in a corner somewhere with a good book. But I hated English. I hated grammar and syntax and sentence structure. And I hated the books they made us read - like Shakespeare and Hemingway.

For me, history was always my favorite, because what better stories are there than those that actually happened. I remember in 9th grade, I had a history teacher who, on our first day, jumped up on his desk and started telling us the story of the Romanov's and Rasputin. He told it like an action story - it was so exciting. I loved history ever since. Not the dates and places, but the stories.

5. Brizeida

Brizeida New Member

My favorite subject has always been English, because I grew up in a community where English wasn't a very popular language, but I for one, Loved it. Thus, ever since I started learning this fascinating language, my curiosity grew more and more and I became one of the best in my class. I loved the feeling of freedom - being able to express myself in an almost bilingual manner. I don't pretend to be a master in English, but it's just a subject I will always enjoy, and I connect it to positive situations and memories in my life.

Other than this, music (singing) and PE have always been my other favorite ones, simply because of the freedom and less restriction/rules.
    Literature was also a preferred subject; however, the teacher was a bit limited in her interpretations of texts, which annoyed me.

6. kjonesm1

kjonesm1 New Member

I was not a fan of school as a teenager and didn't excel until I hit college. One thing that I enjoyed from childhood to today is getting lost in a good book. I loved reading and English and Literature have always been my favorite subjects. Even when I was skipping school to do things I shouldn't have been, I would still come home and pick up a book. While I was in college I was strongly considering an English degree.

7. Hala Al-Tinawi

Hala Al-Tinawi New Member

As a kid my all time favorite subject was Math, I know crazy! But as I got older and all the numbers became letters and everything became super complicated, I started to hate Math and by High school I was amazed by Art. in high school you have some more freedom with your classes and art was always on my schedule, and this year my last year I am taking 3 art classes 2 of them being AP art classes, I intend to attend art school in the fall and I cant wait. Now and then I go back to that Math that I loved but for the most part I cant stand it.

8. Camille

Camille New Member

I could never really get too much into school, although I usually got pretty good grades. If I had to pick, my favorite classes in high school were French language and cooking. There were just kind of neutral I guess. Low stress and they came kind of easily to me.

9. Rosannne Jordan-Mayers

Rosannne Jordan-Mayers New Member

My favorite subject in school was English. I was very good at English, writing and reading. I used to love going to the library and seeing all the books. I was like a kid in a candy store. I remember when I was a little girl there used to have a mobile library and I couldn't wait for it to come.

10. happyworker

happyworker New Member

My favorite subject in school was history because I enjoyed learning about past presidents and other great moments. I think somebody's past is important because one day that person may end up in the history books at school and then students will learn something new. I liked learning about Martin Luther King, Jr, Rosa Parks, Maya Angelo, and Mother Teresa. There are so many fascinating people in history who have done extraordinary things in life. I have always enjoyed school and in fact I'm still learning by taking courses online and my goal is to get an associates degree then definitely go even further with my education.

11. Carol

Carol New Member

I have to say my favorite subject was English. I loved reading stories from influential authors and honing my writing skills.

History is another subject I loved because I learned about the different time periods and what life was like for people.

The one subject I didn't like was math because I was never any good, although I did get better during my last years of high school.

12. xXTHEICEXx

xXTHEICEXx Member

My favorite subject was Math. I understood it so well, but yet I hate doing Math. So many formulas you had to remember and it made me mad because all this math I was being taught. I would never use it in real life.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  13. bLade

bLade New Member

Before I enter college my favorite subject was Mathematics because I find solving Math problems interesting. By the time I enter college things suddenly changed, I start to hate Math because of complicated things you need to learn in order to solve the problem like too much computations and memorizing the formulas (i hate memorizing). During that time I'm starting to like my programming subject because coding was fun and it tests my logical skills.

14. preacherbob50

preacherbob50 New Member

Favorite subjects? Anything I made an A in I loved. Music, Band and Gym were pretty much a gimme for getting an A but the rest of the time I had to study in order to obtain the honored letter of compliancy.

To be serious, I really did enjoy all of the sciences including math. Throughout my days of minor academia, I loved it all from basic science to biology and chemistry not to mention physics when I was of grade.
    I really thought I might be a biochemist or even on the outside chance a theoretical physicist. But, a war came along and afterward there were other asperations of gradeur that prevented me from perusing those cloud like dreams in a positive manner.
    Things just seemed to change and it was time to stop dreaming and start providing for a family. But, I do enjoy the question, for it does bring back those dreams.

15. Veronica M.

Veronica M. New Member

My favorite subject has and always will be English. Learning of the grammar, reading different literary works, be it stories or poetry has always fascinated me immensely. I have a very wild uncontrolled imagination and when I read, most literature completely captures my mind and paints a vivid picture of what's going on in my mind. It was really incredible for me, and it inspired me to write on my own time as well.

16. abbey

abbey Member

i didn't have a favorite subject but i had a lot of subjects i didn't like. Mathematics, physics and chemistry was a nightmare, i guess my problem was just not being able to process calculations. After so much tutorials i became better at them.

17. hooper24

hooper24 New Member

My favorite subject is science. Science has really cool things that you learn about. I always got grade in every subject but my favorite subject was only science. You have to concentrate a lot in science to understand things.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2015
  18. zarag8w

zarag8w New Member

My favorite subject in high school is Math. I love anything that involves calculation. Of the Math subjects, I loved Algebra and Trigonometry the best. I had difficulty with Geometry, but I still liked the subject so much. Curiously, though Physics has a lot of Math, I never developed a taste for it. It's probably because my teacher had such a great diction that I always end up listening to the lilt of her voice more than the substance of the lessons she was trying to teach.
    While I love Math, I ended up taking up Bachelor of Arts in Psychology. A lot of my classmates took this course to avoid Math. Little did they know, we had A LOT of MATH in this course. So, I still enjoyed the course, especially the Statistics classes.

19. Shane

Shane New Member

My favorite subjects are English, Economics, and History. While my most hated is Math. When I was in high school, I frequently prayed that our Math teacher would attain one-month leave. But it didn't happen. Every time that he is teaching, I feel very drowsy.

20. Leky

Leky New Member

My favorite subjects are English, PE andHistory. I do not like physics..Also maths and IT are easy for me :)