IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Where did Undertale Go?

Discussion in 'Games' started by dreamhacker, Nov 2, 2019.

1. dreamhacker

dreamhacker New Member

Undertale in its heyday seemed to be groundbreaking in the sense that the ending of the game was dependent on the choices you made, but not in the sense that you think. You had a choice to be a pacifist, avoid conflict, be aggressive and attack everything, or be somewhere in the middle. Your journey would depend on the choices that you made and you wouldn't be able to change the ending of the game unless you started an entirely new save file. Was this why it was such a popular game? Why do you think it has died down? Do you still play it?

2. TooShortToReach

TooShortToReach New Member

Personally, I believe that Undertale had a big boost from Toby Fox's pre-existing fanbase. Not to say it wasn't an amazing game, but having a head start can go a long way.

I do still play undertale! I've more or less just screw around in the files now for kicks. I have a version with swapped music and textures.

The illusion of flowey being aware of you actions in previous playthroughs also added an extra depth lots of other games didn't have at the time. Trying to rush through his first encounter triggered dialogue implying you'd had a run in with him before. It was really charming to me.