IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Which Book Are You Currently Reading?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Ayinna, Jan 25, 2018.

1. Ayinna

Ayinna New Member

I'm currently reading The Godfather by Mario Puzzo. I have been so much engrossed in the novel that I have found it difficult to let go of it even just for a moment. I have read the novel like thrice but yet, it still feels like it's my first time of reading through it.

The novel is basically about the Italian Mafians and their various dealings. It particularly focuses on Don Vito Corleone's family and their fight for superiority and dominance over other mafian families. The novel is filled with jaw-dropping events which revels the extent people are willing to go in other to get what they want.

Mario Puzzo did a great work with this novel. I love the way he gave life to each character. They were so real that it made me feel like I was part and parcel of the events.

The novel is an interesting read. I think it should be one of the few books one has to read in one's lifetime.

Light likes this.
  2. Matheus

Matheus New Member

I am reading Rich Dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaky and Sharon Lechter. This book was written in 1997 and it deals about financial freedom.

Robert says that people need to generate assets, in other words, it is necessary to make money work for us, but, most of people generate liabilities and they do not generate prosperity.

Another point in this book is that there is a quadrant of financial freedom, which is divided into Employed, Self Employed, Business and Investor. The author says that is important that we become entrepreneurs and investors, because, in this way, people and money will generate wealth for us.

3. Abdul Siddiqui

Abdul Siddiqui New Member

I am currently reading the biography of a man named Al-Hasan bin Ali bin Abi Talib, peace and blessings be upon him. The book is written by Dr. Muhammed Ali As-Sallabi and does a great job of painting a clear picture of who this man really was. He was a man who showed the beauty of Islam, and I think evryone, both Muslim and Non-Muslim, would benefit from reading this book.

4. Tomah

Tomah New Member

I'm reading The Art of Learning, by Josh Waitzkin. It's an autobiography that doubles as a guide to how to achieve excellence in any field. We go through the author's life, from his beginnings as a chess prodigy to his current status as a martial arts champion, and what lessons he got along the way from these two seemingly very different types of competition. He talks about learning from defeat, dealing with stress, getting into "the zone", and introduces many interesting concepts taken from both academic research and his own experiences. The aspect of this book that really resonates with me right now is the author's continuous pursuit of excellence while simultaneously seeking internal peace through Taoism. The book actually made me look into Taoism seriously as I try to incorporate some of its concepts into my own life philosophy.

5. Tru Aveli

Tru Aveli New Member

Sounds like an interesting read Ayinna. I find organized crime family stories always intriguing because of the many twists and heinouse murders.
    Currently I'm reading 'Bird Box' a novel by Josh Malerman which is set in a post-apocalyptic world where we follow the protagonist as she tries to get from location A to B.
    There is two different timelines, so you get to see the world's civilisation collapse and why there are very few survivors.
    I haven't quite found out what causes these chaos but that's because I'm only halfway through it.

6. Amos14

Amos14 New Member

I am reading a financial book 'The Richest Man In Babylon'. It is an eye-opener to anyone who would like to be smart in fanancial management.

7. kinyae

kinyae New Member

Am now reading BELOVED,It's a 1987 novel by the American writer Toni Marrison. Set after the American Civil War(1861–65), it is inspired by the story of an African-American Slave, Margaret Garner, who escaped slavery in Kentucky late January 1856 by fleeing to Ohio, a free state. Morrison had come across the story "A Visit to the Slave Mother who Killed Her Child" in an 1856 newspaper article published in the American Advocate and reproduced in The Black Book, a miscellaneous compilation of black history and culture that Morrison edited in 1974.

In the novel, the protagonist Sethe is also a slave who escapes slavery, running to Cincinati, Ohio. After 28 days of freedom, a posse arrives to retrieve her and her children under the Fugitive Slave act, which gave slave owners the right to pursue slaves across state borders. Sethe kills her two-year-old daughter rather than allow her to be recaptured and taken back to Sweet Home, the Kentucky plantation from which Sethe recently fled. A woman presumed to be her daughter, called Beloved, returns years later to haunt Sethe's home at 124 Bluestone Road, Cincinnati, Ohio. The story opens with an introduction to the ghost: "124 was spiteful. Full of a baby's venom.

8. babumarka

babumarka New Member

I'm currently reading this book titled "The Story of My Experiments with Truth" by M.K. Gandhi. I have just completed last night 120 pages and I found this book quite engaging. It was a pleasant surprise for me to know that Gandhiji too was not a good orator like me and avoided speeches whenever he could. His views about religion too are like me.

9. Liberty

Liberty New Member

@Ayinna , I am currently reading, The message of the Cross by Dr. Robert Kayanja. It's one of the books that always reminds us of the profound ways that God shows Himself to us in life and throughout history as a Covenant keeping God. In order for us who are believers to tap into limitless power, we ought to hear not just what is said of the Cross, but what the Cross itself has to say.

10. aly.cam

aly.cam New Member

I am currently reading 'Sapiens' by Yuval Noah Harari. It is an insight into the evolution of humankind and explains many human behaviours as well. Not only does it educate on human history but also is beautifully written so it is not a chore to pick it up. Along with this, it is a very philosophical novel with a touch of light humour. I would highly recommend this to anyone interested.

Light likes this.
  11. Kimie Kate Majait

Kimie Kate Majait New Member

I am currently reading some manga (Japanese comic book) and I think I can consider it as a book too. I like their manga because it gives me more life thoughts and lessons. Japanese writers have a special and unique style of writing and I like it very much. I usually read adventure, mystery, romance and their slice of life genre. They are very entertaining and interesting to read. Some of it has a nice twists of story and that makes it really cool and fun to read. Sometimes, I read a serious one but in some ways it turns into comedy. I have this one comic book/manga that really caught my attention, it is entitled Anohana. It is all about a group of childhood friends' friendship, their struggles and challenges to still keep their group. Its ending part made me really sad and I cried but at the same time it is fulfilling.

12. Liza40

Liza40 New Member

I am currently reading 'The Alchemist' It's one book that I will read ten times and never grow tired of doing so. I love the book and what it tries to tell the reader who can decipher the meaning of certain terms. A friend told me it is a boring book. But I think she is the kind who are not good readers and good leaders. ;) I have read this book around five times, and every time I do so, I am compelled to read even more. I like how the author shapes people's way o thinking. About what is Success and how to get the hidden treasures: Which not so many people can find.
    The hidden treasures are just within us but the shepherd boy had to travel to the Pyramids to try and get them. Eventually, he was told that the treasures he was seeking were in the very place he dreamed of the treasures.

13. EarlAlexander

EarlAlexander New Member

I am currently reading History of Second World War, it is a book I will never get tired of reading. Starting with the Japanese invasion of Manchuria and Rise of Hitler to the battles which took place in many locations. It was a war that will continue to live on in the minds of many especially those that fought it.

While reading the book I came to find out about more reasons why Hitler was hostile to the West especially because of the outcome of the Treaty of Versatile that gave Germans a heavy burden to carry after suffering a humiliating defeat.

It also went on to explain epic battles that took place in the war most especially the battles that turned the table around in favour of the allied forces, most remarkable are the Battle of Midway, Battle of Stalingrad, North African campaign and many more.

Since I started reading the book my intelligence on war warfare has increase and my world view on the conflict has faced another dimension.

14. Light

Light New Member

The Year of Decision 1846, by Bernard DeVot is what am now reading. Compelling narrative of events of 1846, alot happened that year -- the Mormons leave Illinois for The Great Basin, thousands of immigrants go overland by wagon train to Oregon and California, Zachary Taylor moves south to the Rio Grande and the Mexican War begins, Henry David Thoreau invents civil disobedience, Stephen W. Kearny takes the Santa Fe trail to conquer New Mexico then on to California, Winnfield Scott lands at Vera Cruz and goes on to the Halls of Montezuma, John C. Fremont wanders around in California and Oregon trying to do something, the Bear Flag Rebellion in California, the Donner party starves in the Sierra Nevada, Francis Parkman travels the Great Plains, and much more.

15. Wilfredo

Wilfredo New Member

Very good topic, it is not common to meet young people who like reading, especially with so much new technology and other multimedia resources such as videos, however, from my point of view, it is always important to cultivate the habit of reading. In my case, it is about technical books. One that I have reread recently, although it has already some time published, is the Spencer and Spencer Competency Models, a topic that I like very much.

This topic is about the intrinsic characteristics of the individuals that assure them excellent performances, as their motivations, traits, and others. When you can, read a little about this topic, you will like it.

16. Hafeez Ullah

Hafeez Ullah New Member

I am currently reading The Secret By Rhonda Byrne.

The Secret
    is a self-help book about the power of positive thinking by Rhonda Byrne. The book is based on a pseudo-scientific theory called the “law of attraction” – the principle that “like attracts like.” Specifically, Byrne focuses on the idea that your dreams do in fact come true – thinking about money and wealth will attract these very things, causing them to manifest in your life. Likewise, fretting over a worst-case scenario will only cause your fears to be realized. Hence the importance of positive thinking. There are no accidents and bad luck. Instead, Byrne writes, “Your life right now is a reflection of your past thoughts.”

According to Byrne, the mind is a magnet, emitting and receiving frequencies to and from the Universe. Each thought sends out a signal, which is turn gathers similar frequencies – due to the law of attraction – before returning back to you. In this fashion, your mind can bring you anything you desire – dream of a new house, and somehow, someway, it will come to you. On the flip side, dwelling on war and poverty will only perpetuate these evils. Byrne even proposes that too much negative thinking can put you in the path of a natural disaster or terrorist attack.

People often accumulate great wealth only to lose their fortune and gain it again in cycles. She argues this is due to the law of attraction. People lose money because they allow “fearful thoughts of losing wealth to enter their minds,” causing their fears to be realized. Once the money is gone, their fear disappears as well, and they are able to focus on rebuilding their fortune.

This is the law of attraction in a nutshell – if you think it, it will happen. “Like attracts like” – so envisioning riches will actually bring you wealth. Byrne means this literally. She believes that thoughts are magnetic, emitting a positive or negative frequency. Whatever thoughts you send out into the Universe will attract similar energies before returning like a boomerang. She explains, this is not different to watching TV. You receive a signal that the channel is programmed to send you. If you want to see something different, you have to change the channel. Thus the importance of positive thinking and sending the right frequency into the Universe.

17. FitFatTony

FitFatTony New Member

Adrift by Steve Callaghan. Its a story about how he survived 76 days adrift at sea.
    As I have recently gained an interest in sailing I thought I would compile a list on Goodreads of books about the oceans and seas that have been travelled by men and women for many centuries.
    The allure of the sea is what drives me and to keep centered on some of the risks of traveling great and vast distances at a slower pace than what I drive to work each day. While I have a small experience with water and travel, I am happy to draw my own conclusions from other peoples experiences and words in print or audio form. Overall it's a challenging book and the other books he has referenced as material for his own survival has inspired me to add them to my ever-growing list to read.

18. montakun

montakun New Member

I'm currently reading This is What Happened by Mick Herron. It's about Maggie, a person no one would notice if she goes missing. She's recruited by MI5 to infiltrate a building to thwart a threat. I'm still at chapter 2 and not much has happened. Her adventure as an agent is just at the beginning. I haven't read any works of the author but I'm excited to continue reading this book.

19. kaitlynstubbs

kaitlynstubbs New Member

I just started reading “Money, Master the Game” by Tony Robbins and so far it’s a very interesting book. As of recent I’ve fallen down the rabbit hole of reading financial and improvement books, I didn’t realize how interesting they were till I read “Rich Dad Poor Dad.”

In both of these books they explain how they became financially free and how you can do it too. I’ve always wanted to not have to be stressed about money, but wasn’t sure how to do it till I read these books. I recommend them to anyone who want some to also become financially free.

inat likes this.