IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Which is the best programming language to learn these days?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by linda.perhacs, Apr 19, 2015.

1. linda.perhacs

linda.perhacs New Member

І sоrt оf аgrее wіth mоst оf thеsе аnswеrs:
    Yеs, thе rіght tооl fоr thе јоb (оr еvеn sеt оf tооls) іs сlоsеr tо а "bеst" thаn сhооsіng оnе tооl tо dо іt аll.
    Yеs, thеrе аrе "bеst" (оr rаthеr "bеttеr") аltеrnаtіvеs dереndіng оn sресіfісs.
    Тhоugh thе gіst оf thіs quеstіоn sееms tо bе "whаt tо lеаrn". Іt's unfоrtunаtе thаt thе wоrd "bеst" tеnds tо mаkе еvеrуthіng аrоund іt "wоrsе". Вut thаt's whаt іt tеnds tо dо іn thеsе соntехts.

Ѕо hеrе's mу tаkе оn thе sіtuаtіоn:
    Yоu nееd tо lооk аt іt frоm 2 sіdеs оf thе sаmе соіn: Whаt's mоstlу usеd іn thе sресіfіс dоmаіn уоu іntеnd tо fоllоw? Whаt wоuld tеасh уоu thе mоst usеful соnсерts, оr gіvе уоu thе mоst usеful tооls?

Аlsо уоu nееd tо fасtоr іn whаt уоu аlrеаdу knоw. Ѕоmеtіmеs thаt mеаns уоu mіght јust rеquіrе а bіt mоrе аdvаnсеd рrасtіsе іn thе stuff уоu'rе usеd tо. Вut іt mіght аlsо mеаn уоu nееd tо lооk аt sоmеthіng vеrу dіffеrеnt оr еvеn аlіеn tо уоur соmfоrt zоnе.

Ѕо јust lіkе thе "nо bеst, оnlу rіght tооl fоr sіtuаtіоn" іdеа, thеrе's аlsо nо sіnglе "bеst" аnswеr tо thіs. Іt аll "dереnds" оn mаnу соndіtіоns, е.g.: Dо уоu wаnt tо bе mоrе іn dеmаnd іn thе dоmаіn уоu'rе аlrеаdу fulfіllіng, оr dо уоu wаnt tо mоvе оn tо аnоthеr dоmаіn? Dо уоu јust wаnt tо gеt mоrе ехроsurе іn gеnеrаl, оr dо уоu wаnt sоmеthіng sресіfіс? Аrе уоu lооkіng fоr nеwеr / mоrе еsоtеrіс соnсерts, оr sіmрlу lооkіng tо іnсrеаsе thе іntеrеst іn уоur СV? Маnу suсh соnсеrns wоuld swау thе аnswеr іn vаrіоus dіrесtіоns.

Ѕо unfоrtunаtеlу І саnnоt gіvе а dеfіnіtіvе аnswеr. Ехсерt реrhарs thаt уоu nееd tо stаrt lеаrnіng tо rеsеаrсh suсh stuff fоr уоursеlf. Јust tаkіng оthеrs' оріnіоns аs wrоtе іs nоt а gооd іdеа, іf оnlу thаt оthеrs wоn't knоw ехасtlу whаt уоu'rе аftеr.

2. rojuslap

rojuslap New Member

What exactly do you want to do? If you just want to program a website, use HTML. If you want to make web games, use Javascript. You should tell us what exactly do you want to do.

3. Jason76

Jason76 New Member

From what I read, it depends on what you're doing. C#, JavaScript, php, and Java seem to be the most popular. In reality, all the of the programming languages are the same with minor variations. In my opinion, it would be easy to simply learn all of them. In that way, a programmer would be ready for any project he/she wants to do, or that an employer wants him/her to do.

Myself, I'd like to learn php because most forum software is written in the language. For instance, I might need to edit forum software code.

4. vennybunny

vennybunny New Member

I worked as a headhunter for some IT jobs and let me tell you, the amount they pay people who know "outdated" languages is absurd. So it might be worth your while to look into some older languages, because the people who know how to use them are getting rarer and rarer, but companies who use them aren't going anywhere, and a lot of them are very resistant to change.

I was especially surprised about the salaries COBOL developers receive. It made me question my decision to go into HR.

5. jakeayres

jakeayres New Member

This is a question with no completely black and white answer. I would also suggest that it depends on whether this is the first programming language you are learning or you are looking to expand your repertoire. For now, I will assume that you are new to programming and are looking for a good language to chose as your first.

To start, I would not worry about the field in which you plan to work. Learning a programming language involves understanding a wide range of concepts that are applicable to all languages. You will learn to become a good programmer as well the details of a particular language. Once you have a good grasp of the basic functionality of your chosen language, a lot of the skills you will obtain are immediately transferable to other languages.

With that said, it therefore makes sense to pick one that is well documented and contains very few unusual quirks that will make understanding the basic principles difficult. For this reason I would recommend Python. The syntax is highly human-readable and it is widely used and well documented so you should have no trouble finding ample resources to help you learn. It supports a number of programming paradigms (styles of writting) making it an ideal choice for exploring a wide range of concepts. Additionally, it is open-source so you can obtain all the tools you need for free very easily.

I hope this helps answer your question. If you are interested in any specifics or would like some thoughts regarding other choices, just ask. I am happy to offer more suggestions.

6. leonardo mclt

leonardo mclt New Member

It depends on your needs, and what you want to do.
    If you want to make a website, you may want to start with HTML and then proceed to learn CSS, because they are really easy to learn. However, if you want to learn to code in order to create an app or a piece of software, you may be interested in learning a programming language orientated to objects (e.g., C++, Java, Etc..). if you want that, I recommend starting with Java, because it is easy to learn and use, and I will introduce you to the world of programming much faster than with other languages, because you will get use to the common terms used in code.

7. jakeayres

jakeayres New Member

Just as a note, neither HTML or CSS are considered programming languages. HTML is a markup language and CSS is a stylesheet language. Neither are suitable for programming. In short, HTML is a language designed for storing date in a hierarchical way whilst CSS is designed for defining how content is displayed.

I have heard it argued that HTML and CSS are 'Turing complete' because it is possible to encode Rule 110 with CSS. This is a technicality in all practical cases. HTML and CSS should not be put in the same boat as Java, C, Pascal, etc. I can't think of a single instance in which it would be favourable to write anything other than the most simple application in HTML and CSS. Additionally, I think it would only limit ones ability to get to grips with how programming languages work if they were chosen as a platform from which you plan to learn languages like Java, C++ or Fortran.

8. nytegeek

nytegeek New Member

I would suggest html, php, CSS, Javacript and python if you are interested in web development of any type. If you are interested in software development I would suggest Visual Basic and C++. An understanding of Assembly never hurts. It really depends on what you want to do.

9. nejnej25

nejnej25 New Member

I highly recommend Java. It is in demand now a days. Making cool games and a lot more. You will gain a good amount of money when you are a developer or a programmer of Java. You should try to study this and I guarantee you that it is worthy. Spend just an hour or two every day to study and you will see the advantages of it.

10. peaceofmind7

peaceofmind7 New Member

There is also mobile development. You may learn Java for android or Objective C / Swift for ios. There are also other platforms that provide tools for building for both platforms. For example, i use appcelerator titanium where you write code in javascript. By the way i think javascript is essential it's gaining more and more ground.

11. gravity

gravity New Member

You can either learn C# or Java for modern times. Both are general-purpose, fully object-oriented programming languages with platform-independent features. C# is deliberately confined to Windows environment to retain Microsoft's market share else it's more elegant than Java.

Both are equally good and I strongly recommend either of them.

12. mahendra

mahendra New Member

PHP is still a valuable and well known server-side scripting dialect. Numerous individuals loathe it. I am not one of them. In the event that you do learn PHP, take in a system to oblige it. I like CodeIgniter, but at the same time there's CakePHP and there are others too. Read up a bit on MVC and attempt to structure your projects utilizing that technique.

Ruby + Rails is likewise a well known alternative. Ruby is an especially rich dialect. Furthermore, Rails is an awesome structure for fast advancement.

I'm not a tremendous enthusiast of Microsoft's stage, but rather there's a considerable amount of cash to be made doing .NET advancement. In this way, in case you're into that, the ASP.NET MVC stage is likewise an alternative.

13. Tongxiaoxin

Tongxiaoxin New Member

There is no best programming language. It depends on your needs and the project you are going to work on. All of the programming languages have their pros and cons, and it is all for a reason. Do you really think that all those people who started the language like to waste their time coming up with something that is inferior to something that already exists? And why is it that most of the programming languages are still being used nowadays? Simply because there is still demand for it. If you really want to talk about the 'best', then I would assume you are asking for the most popular language. Then I would suggest C++ or if it is for someone who just started programming, then python would be easy to learn.

My professor once said, "The programming language is not the key, the person using it is..."

aimayaram likes this.
  14. aimayaram

aimayaram New Member

I agree with your professor. I am language agnostic, and I don't think that programming a lot in a single language makes you a better programmer. The syntax will change every day. The concepts will be transformed. It's best to swim in multiple projects and adapt yourself thanks to documentation.

15. Feather

Feather New Member

I would say PHP is the best programming language to learn these days, it includes HTML and CSS so that is not a worry at all (though you would need to know HTML and CSS before) and with PHP you don't need Javascript or anything else as PHP is advanced in it's own ways. You can do so many cool coding and tricks with PHP that there is truly no need for many/any other programming language.