IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Which programming language should I learn in order to be able to develop an Android app?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by DanielYahoo, May 11, 2017.

1. DanielYahoo

DanielYahoo New Member

I am thinking of learning programming solely for android app development since I heard they pay well. I have done some research and some people advice me to learn Java but some tell me C++ is the best since it builds unique apps.
    Guys please advise me, which language should I learn for Android app development?

2. David17

David17 New Member

Hi. You can alternatively start by learning HTML, then CSS, then Javascript or LUA. But the official language for Android development is Java. Large parts of Android are written in Java and its APIs are designed to be called primarily from Java. That said, it is possible to develop C and C++ apps using the Android Native Development Kit (NDK), however it isn’t something that Google promotes. According to Google, the NDK is seen not to benefit most apps. As a developer, you need to balance its benefits against its drawbacks. Notably, using native code on Android generally does not result in a noticeable performance improvement, but it always increases your app complexity.

3. pixelex

pixelex New Member

I would say, assuming you want to make games, download unity and learn their version of C#.

4. Quratulain_Sajid

Quratulain_Sajid New Member

For Android developing app, you should learn java language because in development of android app java coding is used.

5. Corymillz

Corymillz New Member

If you plan on developing Android apps, there are different options you can explore. Starting with Java which is made for developing native apps is a good starting point, however you also have React Native which is used for developing cross platform apps (ios and Andriod). That is killing two birds with one stone if ever you need to run an andriod and ios app.

I am currently experimenting with Meteor which makes it super easy to develop a web app and also use the same code to make Andriod and ios apps. It all depends on the time you have and what you want to achieve with your knowledge. For just Android apps go for Java or React

6. Shade812

Shade812 New Member

Java is used to program Android apps. If you want a good all-around language, I would suggest Python.