IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

who is your favorite philosopher?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by Maestro, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Maestro

Maestro New Member

Athens is home to the world's first, true and probably greatest philosopher, Plato. Born into a prominent and wealthy family in the city, Plato dedicated his life to one goal. Helping people to reach a state of what he termed 'Eudaimonia' or 'Fulfilment'. Plato had four big ideas for making life more fulfiled.
    *Think more.
    *Let your lover change you.
    *Decode the message of beauty.
    *Reform society.
    Who are some of your favorite philosophers?

2. Aahz

Aahz New Member

While ancient Greece was certainly home to the foundations of philosophy, I think that anyone focusing exclusively, or even primarily on the Socratic Schools of philosophy is selling themselves short.

Personally, my favorite philosopher is the French philosopher René Descartes. Descartes didn't just start where other philosophers had left off, but intentionally attacked questions of great import "as if no one had written on these matters before". This method is what led him to not only question the world around him and his place in it, but to even question his own existence. His Discourse on the Method of Rightly Conducting One's Reason and of Seeking Truth in the Sciences, from which comes the famous line "I think therefore I am", is, in my opinion the single most important paper ever written in the field of philosophy. It would be impossible for anyone to put serious considerations to philosophical questions without first absorbing this treatise by René Descartes.

3. Ben Korir

Ben Korir New Member

My favorite philosopher is Epicurus(341-270 B.C.). He was an influential philosopher who founded a community in Athens called "the Garden." I like him and his works primarily because of his arguments on living a pleasant life, which sincerely to me, has been the essence of the life I live on.

One of his principle doctrines, that I love, is that it is not possible to live pleasantly without living prudently and honorably and justly [nor again to live a life of prudence, honor and just] without living pleasantly.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2018