IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Why are some K-pop fans so entitled?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Sabreena, Apr 19, 2020.

1. Sabreena

Sabreena New Member

I want to talk about how idols are seen as nothing but virtual boy/girl friends by their fans. I know this how they're projected: the over invasive interactions, the fan service, the dating bans etc. And I've often seen some of them being left with little to no personal lives.
    For example: Chen from Exo and his marriage announcement and thereby, the fans' protesting that he leave the group. This led to him issuing an apology (for having a personal life???). So, I came across an interview about the Korean fans' reaction on the apology and many of them were surprising: One actually stated that she (and other fans) had been betrayed and after all they contributed to the group, they deserved more than apology. She said Chen should leave the group.
    I honestly did not understand how she had such a mindset about him. She was so, so entitled and acted like she'd been cheated on by him. Like he was her boyfriend or something. Not a random celebrity who didn't even know she exists. A human being who was allowed to have a life of his own.
    What is this portrayal? Why are fans allowed to feel this way? Why are they not called out?

2. cyan

cyan New Member

Our culture makes us think that we need to know all about a celebrity. I would say the media contributes a lot to this behavior, spraying gossips all around, basically making money off of someone's private life. But I also agree that in k-pop culture this is even worse, artists suffer a lot when they enter this world, unfortunately. The music companies treat them not only as singers or dancers, but as figures of beauty, and, as you said, the perfect boy/girlfriend. I think this is really sickening for both fans and artists. It only makes everyone obssess with their own image, and that can be really harmful for the mental and general health. It's past time that someone speaks up about this issue.

Sabreena likes this.
  3. Sabreena

Sabreena New Member

I totally agree with all that you've said. I seriously wish more idols spoke up about these issues, so there can be change