IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Why Do You Like to be an Astromer When You Were a Kid?

Discussion in 'Science' started by Vheeno, Sep 16, 2018.

1. Vheeno

Vheeno New Member

When I was a kid, my dream was to become an astronomer. Tell me yours.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2018
    Alansar likes this.
  2. Alansar

Alansar New Member

Same here. I think it is because of the beautiful freedom that astronomy gave us as children. It was almost magical to look at the stars at night. You would dream of going there one day as an adult.

3. FitFatTony

FitFatTony New Member

I'm an adult with the aspiration to be an astronomer, if only an amateur one.
    It has been a process to recognize the night sky which started with my love of hiking and camping and appreciating nature.

I began to photograph a lot of things, in particular nature. And I would attempt a Super Moon photo when possible. It has then progressed to wanting to get more involved with creating images of the night sky. A still image or time lapse can invoke so much emotion, especially one that is done well of the night sky.

I have been fortunate that I live within driving distance of a NASA centre and visit from time to time to learn more about this hobby, and while I would not consider a career I this field, I believe being able to show others my passion for this science, can encourage them to also learn more.

4. Mr.Lewis

Mr.Lewis New Member

As a kid, one could wonder at the endless possibilities of the universe and marvel and the beauty of it. The amount of time in which a kid has in their hands is unparalleled to the amount of time in which a adult receives. A child also has no knowledge of the challenges that face an astronomer and even if they do, they cannot comprehend the difficulties of which they are going to face due to the fact that they have never experienced it before. Examples of these challenges may be stress, learn difficulties, hard to negotiate with partners and etc. When a child grows up to be an adult, they no longer have the time to look up at the night sky everyday and wonder of the endless possibilities of the universe and the immense amount of knowledge which surrounds it. Thus, during the time in which we mature, we lose the time in which we observe space and as a result lose interest upon the universe.

5. DemonChild95

DemonChild95 New Member

I think that the reason why some what to be astronomers is because of how beautiful things are out there and as children they don't understand the risks. Also, it is human nature to what to explore the "next frontier".

6. Mimi143

Mimi143 New Member

When I was a kid, being an astronomer is my dream. Why? Because I am so fascinated by looking at the stars. I thought that they look beautiful and to me, they are magical. Even now, I still love looking at stars. When I was living in the city for some time, one of the things that I miss the most are the stars. The city lights couldn't compare to its beauty. You cannot see the stars in the city because of the pollution and the large buildings.

Now that I am back in my province, I love to look at the stars and I feel amazing. Even though I don't have the dream anymore of becoming an astronomer, my fascination with the stars did not disappear. I always marvel at the beauty of this specific creation of God.

7. Roselvn

Roselvn New Member

We were all born curious. I'm pretty sure non of us knew why the seas were blue, or what were beyond our skies, when we were kids. Therefore, it is our curious nature that made us dream of exploring the unknown and answer the endless questions, mostly revolving around the question: "What is out there?". Looking at the millions of stars, I used to think they were really tiny, hoping to catch one when I get older. But I know better now, yet I still wish to understand them, discover them.

As we grow up, we get caught up with work and stress until we gave up on our curiosity; until it forced us to settle with the norm, to just study, work, and grow old, never knowing the answers to your undying questions. I still wish to be an astronomer; I still want to discover the infinite stars and the infinite possibilities of life.

8. mirin9

mirin9 New Member

As a child, I was drawn to astronomy because I am in awe of large sizes and vast distances. At first, I thought the Earth was already big, but it turns out it's small compared to some other planets in the Solar System. And it's even smaller compared to the Sun! And later I would learn that the Sun is small compared to so many other stars out there, that are so far away they appear as nothing more than dots in the night sky.

And later I would learn that whatever it is we are seeing in the night sky is only a very, very tiny fraction of the volume of the Milky Way Galaxy. The Milky Way Galaxy I thought was already huge at about 100,000 light years in diameter, and yet it is but a small part of the Local Group. And the Local Group is just another galaxy cluster in a sea of other galaxy clusters, billions and billions of light years in diameter in total.

And now we have studies saying that the visible Universe is only a fraction of the actual Universe, because the Universe is expanding and there are parts of it that we will never see, because the speed of light is finite.

I feel humbled knowing just how tiny we are compared to the entire Universe. That kind of size and power drew me to astronomy when I was a little girl.

And then I grew up, and I realized that I love money more than anything.