IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Why is getting married so important?

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by yadira, May 13, 2015.

1. yadira

yadira New Member

My boyfriend and I have been engaged for about to years, but we haven't made any attempt to actually plan the wedding. When people ask if we've decided on a date yet, we just say no. I'm starting to wonder if having a wedding really that important.

hmary likes this.
  2. pwarbi

pwarbi New Member

To get married or not, will have to depend on the individual couple in question. It seems like people are still expected to find somebody, settle down, get married, have children and live happily ever after. That way of thinking seems to be bred into us from an early age.

For many though, that isn't going to happen and marriage will be the last thing that they want to do. I think it's better to live your own life, do what makes you happy, rather then do something because it's what is expected.

In your situation, if your both happy then it doesn't matter what people think or even if you get married in the end or not.

People can be committed to each other, with or without a bit of paper and a ceremony.

Kaynil, johanna white and KenBrace like this.
  3. Arvis

Arvis New Member

I'm only 22 years old and at this moment it's hard for me to see the point in marriage. You can have everything that marriage offers without actually marrying someone. Yet there are so many people who think marrying someone is very significant achievement. I'm yet trying to understand it but I can't.

As said before, commitment doesn't requite a paper!

John129 and johanna white like this.
  4. crimsongal

crimsongal New Member

Well, it is interesting that you stated that "having a wedding [is] really that important." Somehow, you kind of answered your own question. You don't have to feel pressured to get married, especially if others outside of your relationship are asking you when is the big day. As long as you and your significant other practice the value of commitment and consistency in your relationship, let the urge to get hitched come naturally. Unfortunately, some individuals get married because of pressure from family, church, society, or just because they are lonely. This is why many marriages end in divorce. Others become unhappy and just play the role of spouse or parent for the sake of the kids. Just follow your own path in your own terms. It is the fastest route to happiness, authenticity, and genuine love.

johanna white likes this.
  5. fmseee

fmseee New Member

It depends on your religion or how you were brought up or the culture you're in. Most probably if you're in an Asian country like the Philippines, marriage is highly valued due to the domination of religion and the belief that marriage is important. But you don't really have to follow what everyone says, just think it through and weigh the pros and cons on stuff. Just follow what you believe in. I believe the most important thing is you're happy.

6. Alexandoy

Alexandoy New Member

To me, marriage is a simple legalization of the partnership. And since we live in a society under the rule of law so marriage is required to avoid legal hassles. I really frown on lavish wedding preparation and celebration because the partnership may last or may not. I have known several people who got married and spent a lot but parted ways after a few months.

Kaynil likes this.
  7. Germain MUHIRWA

Germain MUHIRWA New Member

Here we go again... The Lord Almighty God created a Man and then did what ... from his left RIB and said what? Get your Bible and you will
    get an answer there. Marriage "PURE MARRIAGE" is even the most important thing on EARTH. First ask yourself why it does exist, second
    ask yourself so many FAIL to maintain it? Why? Because it is one of the TRUE commitment not only with your PARTNER as so many are mistaken but RATHER with The Lord Almighty God. Hope your DOUBTS are fully answered here and to remove them once for all go get your Bible. Amen.

8. Godsent

Godsent New Member

Yes I feel marriage is important. I have been happily marry for nine years to a christian man, as a christian woman I feel married is a holy commitment equally shared by both persons . I believe that you should consult God first, ask and pray for the right person, which is what I did before getting marry for the second time. I myself had one failed marriage because I married for all the wrong reasons, and didn't look for guidance from the Lord. I feel that people should date and really know each other, before they commit to one another. Don't get me wrong remember all marriages will go th trials and tribulations, but when you incorporate God into your marriage you are in for blissful moments. Remember God, instituted the marriage relationship and ordained the family unit.

9. johanna white

johanna white New Member

Marriage is a given right that I feel has been abused and cheapened by society. Ironically enough I say cheapened while women are spending thousands of dollars on a wedding dress that they use for one day then toss or put away in a closet. People in society today seem to get married for fun, especially wealthy people. The marriage success rate is very low and I feel that too many people get married for the wrong reasons.

10. joegakss

joegakss New Member

Marriage is as important as you want it to be. In the current times, marriage is a form of convenience. Though many are getting into it, the same many are getting out of it. Society has witnessed and continues to this day see that people are obsessed with the notion that marriage is a brisk walk in the park kind of thing. Where this may hold some water, it is only true to those who are in it for the good and the bad.
    You say that people keep asking you when you are getting married, but do this people ask you whether the two of you suitable for each other? Do they ask you questions which you realize you are yet to know about your better half? This is what will lead you to realize whether or not you are ready.
    My thoughts are that marriage is only as important as you want it to be. There are couples who are comfortable with courting and there are those who bill in courting after marriage. The choice is yours.

11. MistyMisty

MistyMisty New Member

For my husband and I, we decided that marriage was or us after the birth o our first son, though he'd officially proposed marriages when I found out I was pregnant. Aside from being a symbol of our lasting love, and a covenant with God, we wanted to do it for legal purposes. In the event one of us were hospitalized, and could not speak for ourselves, we wanted the other person to be fully covered, or able to make decisions for the other person.

12. Sue Giplaye

Sue Giplaye New Member

To me getting married is very important because it is a promise you are making to a person in front of people and God. Many people have children and baby daddies or a baby mother. But after your kids grow up, who will you spend the rest of your life with? That is the question a lot of people don't want to face or even dwell on.

13. Benetnasch

Benetnasch New Member

I only see marriage as important for all the little perks that come along with it, though I hear you get more back from taxes by filing separately. I have no idea if I will ever get married or not, but I do not hold the affair with as much sentiment as my friends. If there were no benefits for it, I would not see the point.

14. btruskosky

btruskosky New Member

I don't think it is as important as it used to be in this day and age. I've been married once and that ended in divorce. I've been with my current partner for seven years and we have a similar situation where we became engaged but never actually planned the wedding. I think if anyone believes they are with their partner for the long haul, it can be a very significant achievement, especially if the marriage works! I currently am happy in my own relationship and believe it is what works for us at this time in our lives and that if we do get married, it'll be when it's meant to be.

15. Ari Goldstein

Ari Goldstein New Member

In my opinion, the only benefits are the tax breaks. Marrying someone else helps you save money, and create a legal bond between you and the love of your life. If you're worried about marriage or have trouble staying faithful, maybe marriage isn't for you.

16. SLy

SLy New Member

I am 21 and engaged. It's not really all that important. We've just decided that we want to spend the rest of our lives together and why not get married.

17. Nocturnal Writer

Nocturnal Writer Member

I got married without a single penny on my pocket and I was 21 years old at that time, still studying in college. I married my high school sweetheart for she's already pregnant. I didn't want her to have a baby without a father, beside I really loved her.

Now, we have a happy, contented married life for 43 years now. And I had realized the importance of marriage as part of the plan of our Heavenly Father. We became the true Church of Jesus Christ and thus we have learned the greatest value of marriage for a man and a woman. To solidify and strengthen our civil marriage for it was the late city court judge in our place, who officiated our marriage at his sala, we have been sealed for time and eternity in the temple of the Lord that was sometime in 1986.

As of this writing, we do have that faith that our marriage would last for "time and eternity" and that my wife and me, and with our children would together forever and ever. We have the strong faith that families could be together forever.

18. phumelela2

phumelela2 New Member

I agree with those that say your religion plays a role in the importance of marriage.
    I belong to one where any form of sexual relations out of wedlock is a sin. For me to be in good standing with my religion and to enjoy sexual encounter, I have to marry.

The second reason is that with marriage there is some kind of security and commitment that makes it hard for the other individual to just up and go leaving you on the leech.When not married and you are engaging in sexual activities you will never truly know the intentions of another person, whether they are in just for physical outlet.

19. Wilsongirl

Wilsongirl New Member

In today's world marriage has lost its meaning and there's no longer a sacredness for that covenant. Here's what people need to understand about marriage:
    First- it's origin as marriage comes from God. God specifically stated how marriage should occur and He is a God that doesn't change so his design would never change.
    Second- God's design for marriage and what should occur in marriage. Sexual intercourse was designed within the confines of marriage. So if there's no need for marriage then there should be no need to have sex.
    Third- The nature of the covenant relationship you are about to enter. Marriage should not be taken lightly and this is a scared promise between three persons. A male, a female and God. When this covenant is broken you are also destroying the promise made to God.

20. Hozyboy

Hozyboy New Member

Honestly I see marriage as a way of tying myself down. Many people have their views on this and it may be viewed as a controversial topic to others but I really do not see the point of trying to live with another person for life.

First of all. There is no such thing as love between unrelated people. Love is only present when somebody is related to you like cousins and siblings. What partners have is addiction. You get too addicted to somebody then you can not breath without them and like all drugs there are side effects. The constant fights and breaks.

I like the concept of an open marriage. Marriage is not necessary if you do not want to tie yourself down.