IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Will Computer Always be Around? Or Will Tablets Take Over?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by VIJENDRA RATHORE, May 6, 2015.

1. VIJENDRA RATHORE

VIJENDRA RATHORE New Member

Do you use a desktop or laptop computer at home? Or do you use a tablet? Tablets certainly have their advantages; they are easy to transport, light, efficient, have excellent battery lives and can be more intuitive than a laptop or desktop. On the other hand, desktops and laptops can run higher powered programs including games, Photoshop and other professional programs. Additionally, desktops and laptops are often more efficient for quickly creating documents, paper, Excel files, etc. However, these seem like challenges that tablet makers are increasingly addressing; the new Ipads can have a full keyboard attached and can run nearly any program you like. Do you think there will always be personal computers in our lives? Or will we eventually switch over to tablets completely? Why do you feel the way that you do?

2. John Jenkins

John Jenkins New Member

I do believe that the home computer or laptop will always be around. One of the reasons is due to the limitations of the tablet/iPad. The ram on hear devices can't handle a ton of programs running at once, even when a few programs are in the background running, I've noticed some devices to slow down. They are making home computers in a tablet style with new touch screens and mother boards built inside of the monitor itself but my opinion is that they want to keep that up to date look plus have a device that offers more.

3. anurag

anurag New Member

Hell no way tablets would replace the beast computers. Even if they did, it's not foreseeable in the near future. Give them another 100-200 years.

4. fmseee

fmseee New Member

I think it'll always be around. The tablet is more handy but if you want to work properly or more efficiently, I think the computer or laptop would be much better. I think they'll constantly improve on the computer/laptop's look or features whilst also improving on the tablet. I can't see a future where in offices would be filled with tablets instead of computers/laptops, unless they start making a laptop slash tablet kind of machine, then maybe.

5. mat14

mat14 New Member

In my opinion home computers or PCs will be replaced by Laptops; not by tablets. Tablets may be handy but when it comes to speed and reliability it falls far behind PCs. While laptops has both, handy and fast as well.

6. DirtRider

DirtRider New Member

Well I have the best of them all and my list is as follows

Home - high end gaming PC
    Work - high end laptop
    Mobile - Galaxy Tablet.

With this said I find that they all serve the task at hand.

The work laptop is great as I am able to mover my office with me when I travel this not losing any of my work tools and documents.

The Tablet I find is great for those in between moments when I might be stopping off for a cup of coffee. This way I am still able to relax catch up on my forums and mail if needed.

My home desktop is still my all time best PC to be one as it offers all the features of my laptop and tablet combined as far as communications goes, then of course the most important function gaming. If I had to give up any of the three I think the laptop would be the one to go as with the desktop and tablet I could still function very well all round.

Kaynil likes this.
  7. carl whitmore

carl whitmore New Member

I have a belief that yes we will have tablets and computers. What I think will take over is cell phones.
    If cell phones have not taken over already. It may be coming. Cell phones seem to be the way of life its seems as though everyone has sort of smart phone. It seems people are to busy with their cell phone then anything else anymore.

8. niche

niche New Member

A tablet will not replace a laptop or computer for many users because a tablet has extremely limited data storage capacity and many softwares will not work on the tablet. Most tablets have inbuilt wifi and bluetooth which can be hacked remotely without the permission of the tablet owner especially in India. So no data on a laptop or tablet with wifi will remain confidential .

While tablets are useful for people who travel, a majority of the offices in India continue to have desktops for their employees, so that no business secrets are leaked

9. RangaNayaki

RangaNayaki New Member

I personally think that tablets and smartphones will take over the electronic industry. Computers may be efficient but tablets have been giving them a tough competition. Today a tablets can do everything that a desktop or a laptop can and can be much faster, compact and reliable.

10. Robin jensen

Robin jensen New Member

Computers wont go away. I think tablet will soon or later. Not many people in Norway buys tablets "Beside the rich teenager girls".

11. ArcosHarcos

ArcosHarcos New Member

I think every kind of device and input method has its own place. Maybe the next bigger things will be the laptops with touchscreens, especially if they will come with detachable keyboard parts, thus enabling the user to use it both as a touch device and as a regular laptop, depending on their current needs.

12. orwelo

orwelo New Member

My view is that computers will continued to be widely used for the forseeable future. I believe there has already been a drop off in the growth of tablets, which might ape the decline in e-book readers. Of course there is a difference in usage - reading books on a device is not the same as having much better online access that tablets do.
    However, its worth remembering that fads or trends come and go. If a device does replace the PC, it won't be tablets as we know them today.

13. burrdun

burrdun New Member

I think computers and laptops will stick around. Tablets are great for carrying out and about but they're not useful for all aspects of computing. Things like gaming that need a serious piece of equipment will always need a proper computer because even as tablets advance, so do the game requirements and computers are better for that.

Personally I'm not keen on using a tablet for all my browsing, I still prefer my laptop. If I were to move to tablet-only it would definitely have to be with a detatchable physical keyboard, I couldn't be doing with screen typing all the time.

14. mehdiblanket

mehdiblanket New Member

l have Ipad , Iphone but nothing can replace my Toshiba Laptop.

15. layth02

layth02 New Member

At the moment, no. Computers are to powerful and useful for us to give them up. Maybe in future, though.

16. MegaManX

MegaManX New Member

I started out with desktops but eventually moved onto laptops. The portability, convenience and versatility that a laptop provides is just unparalleled. Tablets are great and I can understand their mainstream appeal. However, they are not that great for productivity and are far better suited for browsing, watching videos, playing games and social media. They are pretty much stripped down computers sporting a touch screen, a great concept but rather limited in use.

To answer your question, no. Programmers, content creators, freelancers and entrepreneurs will always need either a laptop or desktop for their work. This market isn't going anywhere, it may even expand as more folks are shifting towards the digital economy.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2015
  17. castbound

castbound New Member

According to me,computers will continue being the best work/play tool.

18. Anuj Dhawan

Anuj Dhawan New Member

I use laptops mostly but given the choice, I'd love to use desktops. Desktops are powerful when you want to do a real, an enterprise level, work or when you are working on a client/server application which needs a lot of I/Os (input/output operation). Tablets, on the other hand, make you look fashionable; you can play games or do similar things and can look like a gizmo lover but they can't be used for, e.g. "operations" (enterprise level) for any firm.

So, as it has been mentioned by others too, desktop computer will remain a choice for long.

19. OneShot

OneShot New Member

I think that PC or laptop will always be around. One of the reasons is due to the limitations of the tablet/iPad. The ram on hear devices can't handle a ton of programs running at once, even when a few programs are in the background running, I've noticed some devices to slow down. The tablet is more handy but if you want to work properly or more efficiently, I think the computer or laptop would be much better.

20. abubaker

abubaker New Member

I do believe that the house pc or portable computer can perpetually be around. one in every of the explanations is because of the restrictions of the tablet/iPad. The ram on hear devices cannot handle a large amount of programs running right away, even once a couple of programs square measure within the background running, I've noticed some devices to hamper. they're creating home computers in a very pill vogue with new bit screens and mother boards designed within the monitor itself however my opinion is that they require to stay that up so far look and have a tool that gives a lot of.