IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Working from home

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by comfie, Mar 9, 2017.

1. comfie

comfie New Member

I started working from home because I got ill. After feeling better, I never looked back! I recently read Susan Cain's book 'Quiet' about introverts, and it really helped me understand why working from home suits me so much. I'm very introverted and I get so utterly drained by being with people for hours on end. An open-plan office is my worst nightmare.

I count that ailment a blessing in disguise; it opened up a whole new experience for me. Now I work from home, and I'm really thriving. I work so much more productively, much less stressed and I get far fewer colds and viruses. The best decision I ever made.

jen likes this.
  2. Rachel

Rachel New Member

That's great to hear and congratulations on your success! I, too, am very introverted and trying to work from home. The main reason is because I need money ASAP and I don't have time to put in applications, only to not hear back and if I do hear back, I have to do an interview, wait some more, and wait two to three weeks before getting paid. Not having to work with people is just a really good side benefit, especially after working with asshole managers.

As a young introvert (I'm in my mid-twenties), I feel like that I should be more outgoing and make friends because that's what most people, especially those my age, do. But for the most part, I'm fine with being by myself and at home. Most of the time, I just don't feel the drive to make friends or be social, yet I keep telling myself that I should because of the type of world we live in, where you do need friends sometimes.

comfie likes this.
  3. comfie

comfie New Member

I can totally relate Rachel. It is a great road you have chosen. Glad that you have discovered it while you are quite young. With all the benefits we have both cited above, think about how cool it is to work at your own time. Taking a break when you so damn wish. Not having to wear those suits and uncomfortable heels (read working in bed, pajamas and all!). As if it is not enough, you get paid. How more awesome can it get? I cannot have it any other way.

4. macgirl68

macgirl68 New Member

In many ways I can relate to you. I had been working part time from home as a freelance writer and full time for an employer. Last year I developed a very severe mold allergy which nearly killed me in March. It takes at least six months for your body to detox from that in which you are pretty ill most of the time. I lost my job because of attendance problems that resulted. I had little choice but to work fully from home and like you I am so glad that that came to be. It is so much better in so many than having to go to a job and work for someone else.

comfie likes this.
  5. jen

jen New Member

I am working as a customer service representative for us customer. I have been looking for a home based job for almost two weeks now but still i didnt found one. Im a single mother and i took care of my kids alone but still i need to earn for my childrens need so i decided to work outside of my comfort zone. But things did change, my relationship with my children becomes different. They started going out and mostly they much wanted to spend their time outside together with their friends. Sometimes its almost midnight and yet their still outside. Worst, something bad happened to my 12 year old daugther, all because i am at work and no one took care of them. Can you help me find a job online? One that is reliable. Most of the job i have found is more about asking me to invest money, tradings etc. Hope i can find a job online that can really help me earn enough for our livings. On July 9, i will formally sign my resignation. Thanks for inspiring me. I was about to lose hope when i found this.

6. tallulah

tallulah New Member

I always say it took me a while to get here. But here I am finally:). In my own space, doing what I love. I count it as a blessing and I am so grateful. Life is too short to hate what you do for a living and what we do for a living affects or will determine the kind of lifestyle we have.

@jen: Now, no one is saying we should all quit day-jobs and freelance. There is a place and a purpose for full-time employment outside the home. You can still hold a day job but you can start by posting on forums or offering services on platforms like Fiverr and Upwork and saving the money you make from there till when you are ready to take the big plunge.

7. Louise du Plessis

Louise du Plessis New Member

I think working from home is fantastic. I must say that I enjoy working from home because you can choose your own hours and don't have to work according to a schedule created by someone else. I must also agree that it is less stressful to work from home because you don't have to rush to be somewhere and deal with the constant press of people.

8. Rossy

Rossy New Member

I would really love it if I was to work from home. Working from home has its advantages and disadvantages too.

Working from home is preferred by most people . This could be due to the fact that you work under no close supervision. This would lead to a little freedom of getting to work any time of the day as long as you get the work finished on time. One don't have to dress up, you could decide to work in your bed with your pyjamas on. Generally working at home comes along with very minimal supervision and freedom to do other things in between.

Working at homes has its disadvantages as well. At times you find that its too difficult to meet the working deadlines. It could be difficult for some people to balance between their home chores and work end up not completing their work on time. Working from home could become a difficult if one don't have privacy in their homes as they would be easily distracted from the rest of the family. This form of working mostly works only for the self driven people.

9. Rossy

Rossy New Member

I would really love it if I was to work from home. Working from home has its advantages and disadvantages too.

Working from home is preferred by most people . This could be due to the fact that you work under no close supervision. This would lead to a little freedom of getting to work any time of the day as long as you get the work finished on time. One don't have to dress up, you could decide to work in your bed with your pyjamas on. Generally working at home comes along with very minimal supervision and freedom to do other things in between.

Working at homes has its disadvantages as well. At times you find that its too difficult to meet the working deadlines. It could be difficult for some people to balance between their home chores and work end up not completing their work on time. Working from home could become a difficult if one don't have privacy in their homes as they would be easily distracted from the rest of the family. This form of working mostly works only for the self driven people.