IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Working out with or without music?

Discussion in 'Music' started by pandax, Jul 22, 2015.

1. pandax

pandax New Member

I think many of us people work out especially young people like me.
    I was wondering what is better working out with or without music?
    I personally think that when I work out music pumps me up but I've read in some posts that science has proved me wrong.
    Some people say that working out without music and closing your eyes increases your mental strength.
    I don't get how that would work or benefit but do you guys even think is possible?
    Why would having your eyes open or listening to music not increase your mental strength if you are doing the same thing, pushing yourself to the limits and try to surpass your past limits.
    I would be really happy to get to know which is the truth and if I am doing something wrong or right.
    Do you people work out with or without music?

2. Tonya

Tonya New Member

I do both but I have found that when I do workout with music it pumps me up or I get lost in the music. I was listening to music last week while walking and realized once it got dark that I had walked 3 miles and had 3 more to walk to get home!

3. Eric Nilsson

Eric Nilsson New Member

Music when I'm working out is a must. I just can't do it without music. Well, I do workout sometimes without music, but thats only when I forgot my headphones or when my phone doesn't have any battery. I feel like I cant have a great workout without music.

4. DonMakaveli7

DonMakaveli7 New Member

In my opinion, music can boost your workouts a lot ! I find it hard to motivate myself during my workouts without music. Songs are also a great way to measure time when you train in intervals. I usually go at medium speed trough every verse and then I go hard during the chorus. However, I am not motivated by every music genre. I tend to choose aggressive hip hop songs for my workouts. The soundtrack from the Rocky movie is also incredible. I manage to push myself harder everytime i listen to "Eye of The Tiger". In conclusion, I think that music is definitely very important for your workouts !

Last edited: Aug 14, 2015
  5. CloClo

CloClo New Member

I absolutely have to play music while I am working out. Without it, I can barely find motivation! Hearing upbeat tempos and loud beats puts me in a better state of mind. I begin to go on a fun and exciting journey in my head. The music helps me to be focused on the song, instead of how tired I may feel.

6. Donz

Donz New Member

According to studies, music helps a person keep up with his or her tempo when exercising. In my opinion, it is a great way to boost your mind to adapt to the rigorous activity. It can also serve as a distraction on how much force you are exerting each time you lift weights. Aside from all of that, I personally think that it would be boring to exercise without music playing on the background.

7. Beatriz

Beatriz New Member

I like to work without music because it make me feel concentrate about what I am doing. Each time that I listen to the music I can not follow my ideas, I distract and I must turn off the music in order to recover my thoughs. I admire the people who can do both but I really think that when you do something you must be present at all.

8. timothy_2003esc

timothy_2003esc New Member

Music makes working out more fun. Sometimes I don't even workout unless I have music. If my mp3 is not charged up for my run I'll just skip it or wait til it's charged up before I run. Music motivates me to work out harder and go faster.

9. akasha24

akasha24 New Member

I am exactly like that too. I need music to work out. I wouldn't be able to work out properly without it. I need music for everything. I even work with my earphones in. This just makes everything much easier. Also, time goes by quicker.
    The only time I don't listen to music is when I leave my Ipod at home by accident or when I forgot to charge it. This doesn't happen often thank God.

10. GenkiWORld

GenkiWORld New Member

I can’t work out without music. Nothing gets me out of the mood of working out faster than not having any music to listen to. Even when at the Jim, I always make sure to have my workout playlist with me.
    The type of music I listen to is also important for the kind of workout I do. For example, for running, doing laps on a tred, or cardio I tend to favor up beat techno, or disco music. For a more relaxed workout I tend to gravitate towards soul music, instrumental at ties, or simply soft and smooth music for yoga for instance.

A workout without music for me is no workout at all.

11. arthnel

arthnel New Member

I'm also trying to figure out how someone can workout without music. I workout sometimes at the gym and very often I have to drag myself there. By the time I get to the door and see other people working out with the music, I'm ready to get into it myself. The music gives me pace and motivation and sometimes just takes me away, so I don't feel like I'm doing something hard. It's the music that makes my workout real fun.

12. Shawn

Shawn New Member

Great topic to ask, and I believe it comes down to what feels good to you. I personally can not work out without music. Music gives off such a happy/positive vibe (or angry) depending on what your workout pertains to. Music is a part of my life, and it definitely helps through the tougher times.

13. ipol12

ipol12 New Member

Being a music fan, I always have music on while working out. I used to feel bored without hearing anything. Actually, I have my music on right now while writing. After this, I'll go straight to our small gym for exercise.

14. Seelya

Seelya New Member

Well Like Most Of The Other Previous Posters Have Said, I definitely Need Music To Work Out, For Me It Has To Be Fast Paste Music Like Reggae Or Calypso. If Not, My Body Feels Lazy And I Just Don't Want To Work Out.

Normally It Is With My Earphones In Or I Will Turn My Stereo Up A Bit. In About 5 Minutes I am Wet From Sweating And Really Pumped Up.
    The Faster The Beat The More Motivated I am And Want To Work Out Even Longer Than My Regular Hour.

I Think The No Music Work Out Is More Of A Relaxation Thing, Say You Want To Meditate, Which Some People Do Do With Music. In The End I Think It Is All About Preference And What Works For You.

15. cheryl

cheryl New Member

I need to have music while exercising. Just listening to silence makes the time seem to drag and makes the workout seem that much longer. When I walked, I listened to music all the time. I would walk like 5 miles. That would have been very boring if I didn't have music to listen to. The only time I didn't listen to it was when I had someone to walk with and talk to.

16. Indi5k

Indi5k New Member

I have to say that I'm all for music in the gym! Actually I don't know if I would ever be able to go to the gym without my iPod. Last year my brother found himself in the position where he needed a kidney and gratefully I was a match to be a donor. But unfortunately I was overweight and in no position to go under the knife so I had to hit the gym. I'm telling you that was one of the hardest things I ever did was losing that 60 pounds. And if it wasn't for my iPod and the fact that my brother was in dire need there is no way I would have been able to meet my goal. So in short say yes to music in the gym :)

17. LeaJude

LeaJude New Member

Music has a way of effecting my emotions, and I don't think I'm the only one. Sometimes when I get bored while working out music helps, energy filled music pumps me up and keeps my adrenalin flowing.

18. Leca

Leca New Member

I have to workout with music. It gives me a great vibe and gives me a lot of motivation do my workout. I have tried working out without music but it gets so boring that I want to stop. So for me, working out with music is necessary.
    With that said, I do not think there is a wrong or right when it comes to working out with or without music, everyone is different, so whatever drives and motivates you, choose it and go for it. As it relates to the studies about working out with music that increases mental strength, I think there could be some truth to that because one may tend to get distracted by the music and not focus on their proper form or posture for doing a particular workout. But as I said, it depends on a particular individual ncesause not everyone get distracted by music and without music, I would get so bored and stop doing my workout.

19. sebzswag

sebzswag New Member

Listening to music while you
    exercise increases your endurance to the pain you experience while exercising therefore music is essential when working out for greater results. without music you tend to get bored faster because you don't have a good distraction such as music.

20. CreoleQueen777

CreoleQueen777 New Member

I have know idea what those Scientist were talking about.
    I can't get into the zone with out listening to Hard Core Rap or Classic Rock music blasting through my ear buds.
    However I do close my eyes when I workout, Some how it takes the burning pain in my limbs and allows me to push myself twice as hard.
    So maybe. Just maybe those quirky science guys were on to something.