IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Your favorite zombie blasting games?

Discussion in 'Games' started by GearZ, Apr 13, 2015.

1. GearZ

GearZ New Member

One of the reoccurring themes in the first-person shooter and survival horror genres is that of good old fashioned zombie shooting. While the genre has plenty of hits and misses, there are some great titles out there. I thought I'd toss it out there for discussion and see what we're all playing.

My picks?

Zombie Panic!: Source: This is an oldie, but a goodie, and totally free. It is actually a Source-based remake of an earlier title. It is multiplayer and you can either be a survivor (human) or a zombie. The humans move faster and can use tools (like melee weapons) and firearms. The zombies are slower, but can soak up a lot of damage. One of the zombies (randomly picked) is called the Carrier. He can infect humans with the zombie disease and they will turn into a zombie after a set amount of time. The game modes are survival (kill all the zombies to win), objective (complete a series of objectives), hard core (which is more Carriers and higher infection rates) and ZPA (which is kind of a competition mode). Alas, the game isn't real active these days, but some rounds can be fun.

Contagion: This is from the same makers of the aforementioned title, but it is a paid game. It has similar mechanics and concepts, but is darker in tone and has additional game modes. One of which is the "Hunted" mode where you are fighting both the zombies and your fellow survivors.

No More Room in Hell: This is an awesome, free title that features slow, Romero-style zombies. You can only play as a human and not a zombie. There are a ton of different tools, items, and weapons that can be used to survive (in survival maps) and/or complete an objective (objective-style). The game is still receiving active updates and support and a lot people play it.

So, how about you; do you have a title to suggest? Thanks!

2. Hiraeth

Hiraeth New Member

I haven't played many games as these but one of my all time favorite is Wolfenstein and Return to Castle Wolfenstein. They aren't exclusively about zombie shooting, but the undead and other parahuman and paranormal entities occupy quite a large portion of the story.

The game is set against the backdrop of Nazi occupied Germany, where this organization is trying to create indestructible monsters to one up their side of the war (the World War). The ultimate weapon is the awakening of one Henriech, a being that has been buried and locked away for centuries for good. He is made capable of shooting, firing, launching rockets while being immune to all of these and more himself. Besides him there are many more equally and almost dangerous and difficult creatures that have to be killed and destroyed before facing up to him, least scary of which are the zombies! There are these vapor like 'ghosts' that come swooping towards you if you go too close to certain graves, the very touch of which empties you of half your immunity every time. And the fact that most of the times you're fighting them in twilight or candle/torch lit areas makes it all the more difficult, scary and sometimes impossible! This is hands down one of the most intense and nerve wracking games that I've ever played.

3. gadin210

gadin210 New Member

My favorite zombie blasting game is both of the left 4 dead games. They are the best zombie games. All it is is super fast zombies that die easily, but they swarm so quickly! Those games are perfect. I played the poop out of them!

4. N8zerdude

N8zerdude New Member

If you have a PS3 or Vita, I definitely recommend Dead Nation. It's a top down shooter with an old-school feel to it. It's basically an ode to the arcade game Smash Hit TV, where you're shooting hordes and hordes of enemies. You can upgrade your weapons, collect new armor and wear it based on your play style (eg. do you want more health, more damage with melee, or the ability to sprint more often?), and did I mention killing hordes of zombies? There's different types of zombies that seem to be inspired by Left for Dead too.

The other one is called Dead Block, which is an odd hybrid of Call of Duty Zombies and Team Fortress. There are basically three different characters which each have their own special ability and strengths and weaknesses. The construction worker, for example, can nail zombie sto the ground with his nail gun, while the boy scout can throw a burger which can distract the zombies for some time. You barricade windows and doors and try to survive. It's not an amazing game, but it's like 10 bucks, so definitely worth the price tag.

5. OliverJason

OliverJason New Member

There are only two zombie blasting game that became my favorite. Number 1 is Left 4 Dead 1 and 2, I liked it because you are given the opportunity to play with actual players which is commonly your friends to survive in a zombie holocaust. Your team work and effort will be tested as you get progress in the game. Team coordination and cooperation is indeed essential to accomplish this each stage of the game especially when you are in the Hard Mode. While my number 2 zombie blasting game would be Resident Evil. Why? Because they made a movie out of it and it is awesome!

6. happycow

happycow New Member

My favorite zombie blasting game is Left 4 Dead 2. It's much better than the first one in that is has more zombie types and more weapon types. I also like the locations better. I like Left 4 Dead in general because I get to shoot zombies with my friends, actually.

7. Unknown_153

Unknown_153 New Member

I can definitely second the recommendation of Dead Nation for PS3/PS4/PS Vita. It is a fantastic game to play, especially with a friend. It has a nice arcade feel to it, and the hardest difficulties requires the player to be on their feet the entire way through. It is incredibly satisfying when you do manage to beat it.

Left 4 Dead is also a recommendation I can support, mostly only if you have friends to play it with.

Killing Floor is a fun zombie-ish game, although like Left 4 Dead, really only if you have people to play it with.

8. Lee Ann

Lee Ann New Member

I love Project Zomboid. I think it is only for PC and I got it off of steam so it wasn't free. In this game you are trying to survive and not get bit by zombies. I guess the fun part is looting all the houses for food and items then finding a place to setup camp away from the zombies if possible since high traffic areas can be dangerous. There is a lot of strategy in the game in my opinion and other fun things.

9. Braids

Braids New Member

For Online my favorite is Killing Floor. Is a co-op survival horror game. Is a game that you need to know how to play ( well, maybe not in the easy levels but in the hardest you need for sure), each perk ( there are seven ) are better to do this or that and you need to know how to deal with some type of enemies. You have the medic ( healer, of course ) , support ( shotguns guy and weld fast than any other ), commando ( machine guns ) , berserker ( melee weapons ) , sharpshooter ( the "sniper" ) , demolitions ( kaboom ) and the firebug ( name says all , flamethrowers, etc.. ) . Max level is 6 with each perk , each one have specific bonus each time they level up.
    Is a wave based gamed , last wave is the boss.
    Now there is the Killing Floor 2 too, still in Early Acess , more chaotic than the first and with some changes.

Offline my favorite i guess is Resident Evil but i dont like Resident Evil 5 and 6 and probably a few others.

Another good zombie game is Nation Red , give a try if you are a PC gamer, is cheap in the steam sales