IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Beats or lyrics?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Lillylabelle, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Lillylabelle

Lillylabelle New Member

What makes up good music?Is it the beats or the lyrics of the song? Your take.

2. Ajah

Ajah New Member

It really varies, sometimes the lyrics make the song, I'd say if it's rap it's the lyrics if it's anything else the beat plays a big roll.

3. Eugene Cantona

Eugene Cantona New Member

Vocals and lyrics are by far more subjective than other sounds.Music without lyrics is still music but lyrics without music are poetry.Call it a draw but I think lyrics play a secondary role to music.

4. Milay

Milay New Member

I would say both. In some songs I enjoy the beats more than I do the lyrics. In others I prefer listening to the lyrics regardless of whether the beat is good or bad. But it's awesome when you find a song with great beats and great lyrics.

5. jaybee19

jaybee19 New Member

For me both lyrics and beats are just secondary elements when it comes to making good music. As a listener myself, I do believe that vocals come first when it comes to making good music. I have heard so many songs out there that have good lyrics and good beats but they don't capture me as much as those songs that have good vocals on them.

6. Kitcat

Kitcat New Member

It depends on my mood. At times i'm in the mood for EDM which is mostly just beats and at times I need to feel sad with Sam Smith.

The one constant is mumble rap. Has amazing beats but would not listen to it if you paid me.

7. R_jay

R_jay New Member

According to my assumptions, good music is determined by the beats. Lyrics brings together the element of song composition and is therefore displayed in form of lyrics. Most of the best Afro pop artists(from Nigeria), produce the best afro beats in the west, though some of their lyrics are kind of hard to pronounce, but at the end deliver the best to their listeners all across the globe.

8. Gabbz95

Gabbz95 New Member

I think it depends on an individual's taste, current mood and also the genre of music.

People who love rap music are all about the lyrics and the beats are only secondary however they both go hand in hand. As for an individual's mood and feelings whether they are sad, happy, in love or heart broken at that particular moment the song is all about the lyrics. As for genre we all know EDM is best enjoyed with little or without lyrics unlike genres like hip hop, rnb, rock or even country music.

9. birdman100

birdman100 New Member

its the beat i say because without the lyrics the beat still sounds good like taking back from time when Africa was just druming some people like to listen to just the beat