IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Book smarts vs. Street smarts

Discussion in 'Education' started by Proletariat, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Proletariat

Proletariat New Member

What things did you learn in real life that they never taught you in school? Between book smarts and street smarts, which one is more important? Why do you think so?

2. anurag yadav

anurag yadav New Member

Both book smartness and street smartness are needful in daily life. For example when you buy a phone knowing abut the phone and what it can do is book smartness but doing things with the phone which is not thought of is called street smartness, some people use phone camera and take out beautiful pictures the rest can barely take pictures. Using the phone camera like a professional camera is street smartness. Book smartness indicates rules where as street smartness indicates play.

Proletariat likes this.
  3. Proletariat

Proletariat New Member

I somewhat agree with you, but I feel like if you have street smarts you have an advantage since book smarts don't teach certain skills. Book smarts without street smarts can cost you some opportunities for instance in a job interview, but some people with only street smarts have been known to fool people into thinking they have book smarts.

anurag yadav likes this.
  4. anurag yadav

anurag yadav New Member

I agree with you but just being street smart is not enough, as they say half knowledge is very dangerous. You can be street smart but it can take you only to a certain level, after that book knowledge becomes a must. A sales person must be street smart but a store manager should have both book and street smartness. Books tell you the rules or instructions where as street teaches you where and when to use them for your benefit. I guess i have made my point.

Proletariat likes this.
  5. Unilever001

Unilever001 New Member

The two are necessary and a balance between both is what live requires. We learn what we need to make money in school while we learn how to survive while making money on the Street.

6. Shaguftaa

Shaguftaa New Member

Both book smartness and street smartness are necessary. They should both be taught to children from a young age itself. Unfortunately, schools teach children to be book smart but not street smart. Schools only teach children hunky dory things and form a euphoric image of the world in their heads. When the child grows up and learns what a pathetic place the world is, and gets emotional shocks multiple times in life, he learns to be street smart. That's a tough way to learn things.

7. Judywealth

Judywealth New Member

One without the other will cause a handicap. You need to be intellectually heightened as well as quick to grasp Street intelligence.

Why do I say it would be a handicap if both of them are not running side by side? I have seen very wealthy people who came into their prosperity through Street smarts. But, they can barely hold an intelligent conversation with you especially if it is outside their field of expertise.

I have also seen some people that are well versed in scholarship, but they are painfully naive when it comes to holding their own out of the classroom. This is why some of them get easily duped.

So, I believe that you've got to marry both phenomenon as they will give you a edge both amongst intellectuals, and out there on the streets.

8. Caleb

Caleb New Member

I think the society an individual finds himself or herself determines which of the two will be more important to that individual.

In a society where Street smartness is the norm and the only means of survival, what is the importance of book smartness in such a case, and vice versa.

Just like in some establishments, certificates are used as the major criteria to give jobs (whether you know what you are doing or not), while in other establishments, experience (no matter how it is gotten) is the major criteria to be given a job.

On a personal basis though, I'll say a combination of the two is the best for an individual. In that way, one can survive in whatever environment he or she finds himself or herself.

9. Shantana

Shantana New Member

Both are needed as both have their own individual benefits