IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

books or movie

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Sandip Pan, Jan 30, 2018.

1. Sandip Pan

Sandip Pan New Member

Sometimes it is easier to watch a movie rather than read the book. Some movies that are adaptations of books can enhance the setting, the scenery and dialogue. This is especially helpful for people who have experienced difficulty in learning to read, as watching the movie as well as reading the book can enhance the experience. A movie adaptation can enhance the experience of the book and can bring to life, and get transported into 'this other world'. Visual images are very powerful, but so is the experience of reading and development of our own images. It can also be argued that in order to use our imagination whilst reading we need to have some actual experience of the situation and that experience either comes through accurate and informative writing or visual images (movies).

2. DrArmenta

DrArmenta New Member

I agree with you Sandip Pan both are important in my opinion. For example, I recently finished watching The lord of the Rings trilogy which I highly enjoyed. It was definitely beautiful to see great CG and cinematography come together to create such a fantastic experience for me, but when the movies were over I was left with so many questions. Why did the Elfs have to leave middle earth? why did Gandolf come back to life? I ended up reading the books and found that there was so much more to the mythology of The Lord of the Rings that the films didn't show.

3. jusumortal

jusumortal New Member

Thank you

Last edited: Apr 3, 2018
  4. MomoStarr16

MomoStarr16 New Member

It's like there are two kinds of people in this world. One who read books and one who like movie. For me I both step on their territory. I have books to read and a lot of movies to watch. But I got more time reading books. They give you a good sense of the story and freely imagine what is happening in the story. There are no deleted scenes or character that change a bit. Unlike in the movies, there are lot of changes that they are making before releasing of the movie. It's like they taking away some of small situations. But sometimes the one they take away is actually one of the important scene even though it is just a small scene. So reading it is more accurate that just watching it in a movie. :D

5. Ana Galdamez

Ana Galdamez New Member

It really depends on the movie/book. While it wasn't an overly loyal adaptation Ender's Game was an interesting movie. Barebones compared to the book but still interesting. I think the adapters did a good job modernizing The Giver even though I loved the book with all my soul. I may never forgive what they did to some of the Harry Potter books and I am firmly in the camp that it needs to be a TV series rather than movies because there is too much detail. Eragon on the other hand, while a mediocre book at best, made for an ok movie and benefited from the changes that were made to the source material. While some adaptations can be flat out insults to the sources, some are really good as standalone movies and add to the experience of the book.