IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Can Music Reduce Stress

Discussion in 'Music' started by 6ends, Jun 3, 2015.

1. 6ends

6ends New Member

I have read articles where music is said to be reducing stress. Is that true with most of us? Which type of music is needed in such situation?

2. NewPupil

NewPupil New Member

I greatly believe music can reduce stress; as I once lived a very irksome lifestyle while working as a customer service representative and technical support representative at my past job. After a long annoying day, I would come home put on Pandora and listen to non-stop smooth jazz for hours! The experience is by far soothing, calming and just amazing. Every note of music is vibrantly fine-tuned and I even noticed that my favorite instrument to hear while listening to jazz is the saxophone; as it is harmonizing.

What type of music do you listen to and do you feel as though the genre influences your mood to suppress being stressed or not affect it at all?

3. light1988

light1988 New Member

Well i know for one music can reduce stress. There are many kinds of music for everyone for we all have different taste in music which helps with stress. i listen to music everyday with out it I think I would go mad.

4. fatema

fatema New Member

Yes, I think that's possible. It reduces my stress. You just have to find a good song. For me, like pop songs are my way to reduce stress. It just makes me smile, then I automatically start singing and dancing , then i forget everything that's going on. For some people, classical music helps them, they say the soothing beat is relaxing.

5. Anuradha Singh

Anuradha Singh New Member

Depends on the music. Mozart, Bach, Philip Glass may work to reduce stress levels. In fact, if I remember correctly, there was research done specifically into the effects of listening to Mozart before taking SAT tests, and showed positive results. Music is emotional symbolism, and can induce a wide array of emotional audience responses.

6. kammy

kammy New Member

I have found music to be a life savior on many occasions. I suffer from high blood pressure and as a result i have to endeavor that I take things easy and free my mind of all life worries. Whenever I am feeling strained the only thing that seems to alleviate my stress is to dance wildly for about an hour to some pop or reggae music. This usually work wonders as whenever I am through I enjoy total peace of mind and serenity that i only derive from listening and dancing along to music.

Anuradha Singh likes this.
  7. mairj23

mairj23 New Member

Yes, music does relieve stress. I listen to music everyday. The slow ballad's are very helpful when going through things. Music calms the savage beast.

8. itsmeagain

itsmeagain New Member

I don't have any scientific explanation but if you ask me personally, I believe that it does relieve stress and calm your nerves. I usually pay my favorite song before any important exam or interview and it actually helps reduce my nervousness and even makes me a little confident about myself. I watched this show claiming that regardless of the type of music you listen to, may it be Mozart or a hard-metal song, it would make your brain sharper. So I guess there's a lot of perks in listening music.

9. Sakitha Navod

Sakitha Navod New Member

The music absolutely can reduce your stress. However, I can't say every genre of music can do that. For an example, listen to Mozart. I think his songs are specially made for relaxation and it would definitely calm your nerves. I'm always listening to music or a song before I go to sleep every day. It really helps me to have a good night's sleep.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2015
  10. Leonel Dewitt

Leonel Dewitt New Member

Well I'd have to agree with that, but it depends on the genre and harmony of the song, for instance, there are songs like may it be by Enya that quite simply take you to another land where all dreams are possible, and others like now we are free by Lisa Gerrard that have more of a melancholic effect on you, either way this type of music does relieve the stress and anxiety on people that are taken by their enticement.

11. nicole b

nicole b New Member

Yes i think it can reduce stress. It is very calming if you pick a soothing tune to listen too. Sometimes jazz or classical can do that for you.

12. SweetPoetry77

SweetPoetry77 New Member

I am a firm believer that certain types of music can reduce stress. Classical music is one of my favorites to listen to when I am stressing. I love gospel music, praise and worship music is always a plus to help me relax from a stressful day. I also use YouTube to find meditation music that will help me to relax. My personal opinion and experience is that music can and is an atmosphere changer. Music at times has turn bad days good for me especially when it seems like nothing is going right music will make it better.

13. Tongxiaoxin

Tongxiaoxin New Member

I share the same sentiments too! Music can achieve a variety of effects, not limited to reducing stress. In fact, it can stir various emotions and have complex connections to our body mechanism. When people listen to rock music, most of them will be naturally high. If we are just talking about reducing stress, then the most suitable genre would be classical music with soothing tunes. This can be easily seen in meditations or even yoga which often use suitable music to reach their goals.

14. Twinsmommy31

Twinsmommy31 New Member

Music has always been effective is reducing stress. Music has been very influential in my life. Music is motivational and inspirational. We can all relate to the lyrics in the songs. It helps us feel like we are not alone and understand that we can make it in this life. I love the calming affect it had on my twin babies. I used music daily to put them at ease. Music will always be a wonderful stress management tool.

15. Sarah

Sarah New Member

From my personal experience it helps relieve stress no matter what type of music I listen to. Sometimes if I am so upset, I tend to listen to pop rock or rock bands and I feel a lot better after. Probably it is weird but works for me.

16. DnkH

DnkH New Member

It mainly depends on your likenesses. Good music can reduce stress while bad music can make you more stressed. If you were forced to listen to music you don't like, that will never make your stress reduced.

However if you listen to music you love, that will clearly reduce your stress. For me, it is always working. I really can reduce my stress by listening to music I love.

17. Tonya

Tonya New Member

Yes, I think it can reduce stress. I can get lost in the music and everything seems to fade away. I also have used light classical music to calm my son and help him to sleep. When he was around 2 years old, he had lots of trouble falling to sleep. I started playing classical music when putting him to bed and he would fall right to sleep.

18. Kevar7

Kevar7 New Member

Yes music lower stress. but is also can put persons in a depress state and enhance deep depression. Let me explain. Say that some is going through a difficult period and find themselves listening to a song that should help them, but rather taking them into a deeper state of stress. How is it so you might ask? In the state of relationship brake up through abuse and rejection and for example the person find herself or himself listening to a song that speaking specifically to another loving another in their relationship......now the abuse person will only see the motive of the other person, which will drive him or her in deeper depression. How can you listen songs that help? Listen to song to that speaks directly to correcting the problem. for example a gospel song talk about Jesus Christ being and which will eventually take your mind off the issues little by little and free you up. Listen to testimonies ..............please see http://itunes.apple.com/album/id1003402006

19. hamdi44

hamdi44 New Member

The soothing power of music is well-established. It has a unique link to our emotions, so can be an extremely effective stress management tool.
    Listening to music can have a tremendously relaxing effect on our minds and bodies, especially slow, quiet classical music. This type of music can have a beneficial effect on our physiological functions, slowing the pulse and heart rate, lowering blood pressure, and decreasing the levels of stress hormones.

hhhsquare35 and Kevar7 like this.
  20. Kevar7

Kevar7 New Member

I agree with you. the body operate on a systematic structure and also a rhythmic mode. Music is develop with a riddim and a constant base beat which is call the base. When these are combine in a smooth, soft melody then the heart is thrill. But the words also play apart in regards to the song and how much groove one get from the song. And therefore, choosing the right song can help a lot to avoid nerve irritation by negative songs.