IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Can you consider being a vegetarian?

Discussion in 'Health' started by camilleraon, May 24, 2015.

1. Lizzie

Lizzie New Member

I've never even considered becoming a vegetarian because I don't see the point really (at least for myself). I love all kinds of meat, I eat it as well as vegetables and other stuff. That's called the balance. I don't think you should deprive yourself from certain food you like even if it can be considered 'unhealthy' by others. If you're okay with not eating meat, eggs or fish then go for it but I'm not hopping on that train.

Knitting likes this.
  2. Ireca Sims

Ireca Sims New Member

I tried being a vegetarian for about 8 months. I wanted to see what it was like. I didn't really miss meat at the time. I increased my intake of veggies. However, I didn't stick with it. I noticed that I lacked energy. So I slowly began incorporating meat into my diet. My energy levels increased. I still prefer to eat turkey, chicken, and fish over other meats, such as beef and pork.

3. Knitting

Knitting New Member

I would not be able to practice a vegetarian lifestyle for more than a couple of days, maximum. I love both meat and fish and tend to base at least my main meal of the day around some sort of animal protein.

I don't necessarily think it is healthy to completely eliminate a major food group, I've always believed that everything in moderation is surely better for you.

I have in the past switched a couple of meat products during the week to vegetarian alternatives, but only in an effort to eat less fat. And even then I couldn't go more than a couple of days!

4. Carmen

Carmen New Member

That's what I am currently doing. I decided that as I strive towards better health, I should go back to eating the way I believe nature had intended. This has meant cutting out all the unnecessary additives and processed foods that are killing us and making us fat. Don't get me wrong, cutting out meat and sweets has not been easy but the physical rewards have been amazing. I feel great!

5. Angel Howard

Angel Howard New Member

I believe that I could consider becoming a vegetarian, basically because I enjoy eating different types of vegetables and fruit on a daily basis and I become full very quickly. The biggest challenge for me is my family would not be able to transition to eating only vegetables and fruits, especially my husband who is a huge meat-eater. In addition to that, I love seafood. I really enjoy eating crab legs and lobster tails and I'm a huge fan of baked and grilled chicken. That would be a huge challenge for me, although it could become possible if I had to discipline myself for strict health reasons. I would like to learn more about vegetarians and what consist of vegetarian's diet? I would also like to know how does religion connect with the lifestyle of being a vegetarian. It would help me to understand the pros and cons of considering being a vegetarian.

6. Secre

Secre New Member

That isn't what vegetarian means. Vegetarian means eating no meat; it has nothing to do with sweets or junk food and to suggest it does is simply incorrect. To be a vegan means eating no animal products at all which includes honey and will vastly cut down on the amount of sweets and junk food available as few cater to the vegan lifestyle, but again there are still sweets and junk food available.

You can walk into McDonalds and buy a veggie burger with chips that are heavily salted and a chocolate milkshake and that would be a vegetarian meal; it is also undoubtedly unhealthy and most certainly junk food. Chocolate is vegetarian although mostly not vegan with the exception of a few using pure cocoa beans and no milk or cream. However I have even managed to find a brand that does vegan chocolate including 'milk' chocolate and chocolate spreads here; https://www.plamilfoods.co.uk/chocolate. So you can be vegan and still eat sweets!!

To answer the actual definition of vegetarian rather than your poor description; becoming a vegetarian would be an easy change on my own although my fiance would be less impressed! I already try to eat far more veg and fruit than meat as I have had digestive issues in the past and the more fruit and veg I eat, the less issues I have. I would struggle more with being vegan I think; some of my favourite products are dairy based including cheese!

7. Danielle

Danielle New Member

Being a vegetarian isn't as hard as it seems! I have been a vegetarian for almost 2 years now, and I have never felt better. I come from a family that has meat for dinner every night. I'm not going to lie, the first week was tough, mostly because I was sitting at the dinner table eating some rice and beans while my family was chowing down on some chicken thighs. But then I learned how to properly cook vegetarian foods-now I don't miss a single thing about meat. There is nothing more satisfying than a big bowl of greens to fill you up and to make you feel good while doing it!

8. harijobs

harijobs New Member

It will be very difficult for me to stay from sweets. I have tried in the past to be pure vegetarian but couldn't last even a month. ;)

9. JasmineG

JasmineG New Member

I am actually considering this now. I have never eaten red meat and I have never had the desire to. Sweets have always been a weakness of mine, and cheese is my secret lover. I recently cut out chicken and fish, but I have been starving only eating vegetables. After talking to my best friend-who is a fitness guru, I decided to stick to fish only until I can actually stop eating meat completely.

I think there are several health benefits to going vegetarian, but it is difficult to switch over when you have grown to love so many unhealthy foods. I am going to continue on this journey to a healthier diet. Wish me luck!

10. AngelaMc

AngelaMc New Member

I am ashamed to say I don't think I could ever be a vegetarian. Don't get me wrong I love all types of vegetables but I have to have my meat. Even if I don't have red meat for a couple of days it seems like I get really moody or cranky.

I do plant a little garden in the spring and use my vegetables with my meals. But as far as veggies alone with no meat I couldn't do unless I had to.

11. nikki rose

nikki rose New Member

I gave up all meat for almost a year in 2007. I had gone on a environmental journey after watching An Inconvenient Truth and Supersize Me. It was challenging for about a month, and then I didn't miss meat. I lived on salads, chips and salsa, cheese fries and chocolate.

Then one day in late 2007, I walked into a Fuddruckers with friends who raved about the burgers. I swear my intended meal was a milkshake and fries. The burgers smelled so good, I caved to the temptation of ground beef smothered in cheese, mushrooms, onions and sweet bacon. Soon after the Fuddruckers episode, I came to the conclusion I really enjoyed meat, ending the deprivation.

12. womforums

womforums New Member

I can never imagine being a vegetarian as I love the texture of meat. It may be a symptom of my autism but I love felling based sensory input. If vegetarian food was able to provide the same textures as meat then I would try it.

13. shaneka jones

shaneka jones New Member

I can definitely consider becoming a vegetarian because the meals are healthy and make you feel good. The foods we all love to eat are not good for us and they make us feel tired after eating them. Why are we fine with feeling like balloons after eating? It started when we were kids until our older ages and now we can't see ourselves eating healthier. We have to break the cycle as soon as possible.

14. Shana-Kay Barrett-Smith

Shana-Kay Barrett-Smith New Member

Yes, I can. Being healthy is something we should all take interest in and partake in. Being vegetarian makes you mentally and physically healthy...i.e., it improves your immune system, it gives you most or all of the nutrients your body needs, it makes you have excellent bowel movements, makes you smarter, calmer and more relaxed. When your body is in that state it can perform at its best.

I strongly recommend being vegetarian for your body to function optimally. Not only is it good for your body but it helps/saves animals and the Earth. It is one of the best lifestyles one can live/adapt to.

15. Justin Johnson

Justin Johnson New Member

I can consider myself being a vegetarian but it would not be easy. I have been eating pork, beef and chicken my whole life. I can totally be a vegeterian the more I think about it because there are a lot of vegetables I like and I can make some great dishes. I would make all my vegetarian meals with brown rice and use vegetables like corn, okra and zucchini.

16. Makalai Johnson

Makalai Johnson New Member

I can not live without at least chicken. I can definitely give up the red meats, and the pork, because as far as I am concerned those are not healthy for you anyway. I've heard that you miss necessary nutrients when you are a vegan as well.

17. lilac123

lilac123 New Member

I've tried going vegan for a couple months before, but I couldn't stick to it. It was just too restrictive and I had difficulties attending social events or going to restaurants with my friends because my options were so limited. Also, I think quitting animal products cold turkey was quite difficult for me because I was still craving meat and dairy and eggs. Right now, although I do eat animal products, I think I would like to incorporate more vegetarian meals into my diet. I think there are so many benefits of being vegetarian or vegan, as it is not only good for the animals but for your health and for the environment. Therefore, although I would definitely like to eat more vegetarian foods, I wouldn't restrict myself so much like I did before.

18. icanbe

icanbe New Member

I don't usually use labels when it comes to the food I eat. I consider myself a person that just eats plant based foods along with my husband. I actually went vegetarian about 17 years ago. I started by of course trying to find replacements for foods that I love like hamburgers, hotdogs and turkey. What was fascinating about this journey is that there are companies out there that do a very good job creating "mock" meat. It's amazing how if you apply the same seasoning, that you really can't tell whether you are eating a veggie burger or a traditional hamburger. If you decide to go vegetarian, you will find that you can recreate any meat dish you love and feel guilt free when you eat it!

19. pwee

pwee New Member

I tried to but failed. I try to eat more healthy foods just vegetables and fruits to detoxify but failed. Burgers always seduce me and I can't resist. I can't really stop eating junk foods and meat but I try really hard to eat more fruits and vegetables.