IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do video games or movies/TV shows make children more violent?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by SeaGato, Jan 3, 2017.

1. SeaGato

SeaGato New Member

This is a big topic with two opposing sides. Do video games or movies and TV shows make children more violent?
    I do not think either the games or movies and TV shows make a child more violent for a variety of reasons. There are also a variety of reasons why some might say I'm wrong. One of these are children imitate what they see, and they start to believe what they see is okay.
    What do you think about the violence in video games and on TV, and what effect does it have on the youth?

2. shirumuiyuts

shirumuiyuts New Member

I believe it does play a part.I have two nephews and as they've grown up I have come to realize their violence towards each other has grown alongside their exposure to especially television.I tend to think subconsciously they tend to interpret what they see as reality,and since most violence on television especially in movies or other programs portray violent characters as being strong and in control,qualities that young boys tend to gravitate towards,it propels them to be violent as the try to imitate what they see.

3. Corena

Corena Member

I have heard this controversy man times over. I can see why people would say that violent video games and movies/tv shows make children violent. And i can understand why people want to blame the way the children are growing up now on video games. However, I wonder if they ever stop and look at the way kids are being raised these days, not just what games and movies they are watching.

I grew up playing violent games and watching violent movies. The gorier they were, the better. I am still that way about my favorite games and movies. For example, grand theft auto is one of my favorite games. I use to cut people's heads off on it all the time because, watching the blood squirt everywhere to me was so humorous. However, as a grown woman, I am not violent at all. On another note, I have also never cut anyone's head off. Although, I was aloud to play the gory games and watch the gory movies, I was also taught respect, compassion, love, and self control by my loved ones. What I watched my family do, is what I came to believe was okay and the way you are suppose to live.

I now have two sons who also love playing those kind of games and watching those kinds of movies/tv shows. I have also been very firm in the way I have raised them, and on many occasions, I have been told by older men and women, how respectful and sweet my boys are, unlike most kids these days. Neither one of my boys is violent at all. They are very upbeat, calm, sweet, and respectful boys.

So no, in my opinion, games and television do not make children violent. I think violent tendencies in children is more due to the way they are being raised, not some game or movie that the child knows isn't real, just fun. Children are being raised to think there are not consequences for their actions since parents these days are too afraid to make their children mind and give them real consequences for their actions.