IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

High Blood Pressure is a Serious Matter

Discussion in 'Medical' started by choosesuccess, Aug 25, 2015.

1. choosesuccess

choosesuccess New Member

Millions of people suffer from high blood pressure on a daily basis and this is a very serious matter. There are thousands who don't even know that they suffer from this condition and it can be very dangerous to continue to go on with life without seeking the proper treatment for this illness.

High blood pressure can cause so many other things to happen with your body including stroke and even death. It is very important to make sure you go to the doctor on a regular basis and get the proper screenings for high blood pressure especially if you have a family history of this condition.

I have several family members and friends who suffer with high blood pressure and they are currently treating it with medications, diet, and exercise. This is a serious matter and should be taken lightly because there are so many things that can go wrong if left untreated or not diagnosed.

2. Susan

Susan New Member

I was recently diagnosed with high blood pressure. I went to the ER for vertigo and they were shocked at how high my blood pressure reading was. They took me in immediately
    and had me lay down for an hour. It went down a bit but not to where it should have been so I was prescribed blood pressure meds. I am currently taking two a day. I take them first thing in the morning. I feel better then I have in a long time. I have no idea how long it was that high for but I am glad it is being taken care of now. High blood pressure runs in my family.

3. RedVixen64

RedVixen64 New Member

High blood pressure is often referred to as the 'silent killer' because very often there are no symptoms. I'm lucky in that mine has always been normal apart from when I was pregnant with my second child. I think everyone should get it checked regularly, especially those in their 50s and 60s and those with a family history of the condition.

My mother had high blood pressure and was on medication from the age of 50 and now my sister is following in her footsteps. I take my health very seriously and make sure I have all my health checks.

4. MamoniMaity

MamoniMaity New Member

High blood pressure is indeed a serious matter. People often tend to ignore the condition as there are apparently no symptoms. However, the condition may lead to life-threatening and fatal incidences of several medical emergencies. One of the commonest among them is stroke. It can lead to paralysis of any organ or even sudden death of the patient without leaving any time for adequate medical care or attention.

5. phantom7

phantom7 New Member

I thought it was a joke when seven years back in 2009 a nurse told me that I have high blood pressure. I did not mind until in this year after the loss of my mother to high blood pressure and diabetes. Two weeks after my mother died,I got so depressed and developed vertigo. When I went to the clinic,they tested my blood pressure and it was 180/120. I am only 28 years old and not obese. I now swallow 1 nifedipine tablet in the morning daily.

6. phantom7

phantom7 New Member

I thought it was a joke when seven years back in 2009 a nurse told me that I have high blood pressure. I did not mind until in this year after the loss of my mother to high blood pressure and diabetes. Two weeks after my mother died,I got so depressed and developed vertigo. When I went to the clinic,they tested my blood pressure and it was 180/120. I am only 28 years old and not obese. I now swallow 1 nifedipine tablet in the morning daily.

7. Bruce

Bruce New Member

I was diagnosed as having high blood pressure in May of 2012 and given 4 medications plus asprin to take daily to keep my blood pressure under control. Knowing drugs don't cure I searched for alternative ways to lower my high blood pressure. The first thing was to learn how to read the labels on food products for sodium content and to eat much less sodium. I now use the product Nu-Salt. Tastes the same as salt.:) Then I took up yoga class at my public library. Joined the YMCA again and started lifting weights and jogging. And I began playing singles in tennis again 3 to 4 times a week three sets.

lolu0259 likes this.
  8. bella556

bella556 Member

I have high blood pressure and take medication for it once a day. I see my Dr. every few weeks to check out and make sure its ok. I have other family members that have high blood pressure and they have passed away. One thing I will be doing is to ask my doctor about a diet and to change my eating habits so I can lose weight.

9. rz3300

rz3300 New Member

My whole family has issues with blood pressure, and sure enough this was one of the traits that I got. I went ahead and bypassed the being tall or blue-eyed gene, and settled on the ones that really set me back. Of course I am kidding, but there is some truth to it. Regardless, though, going to doctor is never fun for me, and it is just a reminder of my need to go that extra mile just to keep up. I try, and then I try some more, but I have really not seen much progress.

10. lolu0259

lolu0259 New Member

High blood pressure is a global health issue now. I believe it can be curtail by not living a sedentry life style. High sodium diet increases the risk. Fatty foods should also be reduced. Exercise and probably taking lemon in warm water could help too

11. Amy Terry

Amy Terry New Member

When I was in nursing school I was told that high blood pressure was more directly linked to heredity. If family members have or had high blood pressure you are already pre-disposed. I was also told that salt does not really affect blood pressure numbers, however, lack of exercise, poor diet, and smoking does. I checked my numbers this morning my systolic was 140 and my diastolic was 100. It has been said that HBP is a silent killer because it often times has no symptoms but I can tell when my blood pressure is up because I get a horrible headache that gets worse when I lie down and nothing can make it go away. I have started walking 1 mile a day and plan on increasing to 2 miles soon, I am eating a healthier diet, and I will be doing good if I could quit smoking. I am taking baby steps to increase my longevity so I can be around for my son, but I am unfortunately already pre-disposed to HBP.

12. vrenelli

vrenelli New Member

I had a stroke 6 years ago due to high blood pressure. @RedVixen64 is right in saying that it is a "silent killer". I had no idea I had high blood pressure. I was on my was to work when I felt that my chest hurt... it was difficult for me to breath. I hailed a cab and told the cab driver to bring me to the hospital. I had my stroke attack while I was in the cab. Luckily, the cab driver had the presence of mind and he didn't panic. I was only 38 years old.

To those young people out there: check your blood pressure always. You never know. As they say, "Better safe than sorry".