IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is College a Waste?

Discussion in 'Education' started by nysleek, Aug 14, 2015.

1. nysleek

nysleek New Member

I have been doing a lot of studying when it comes to building businesses and becoming financially free. And, all of the millionaires that I have studied have all said the same thing. College is a waste of time unless the career that you are going after requires a license, (lawyers, accountants, doctors, nurses, psychologist) When you first hear this is sounds really bad. However, it does not make sense to go $50,000 in debt to get a job where you make $30,000 a year. Logically, it makes no sense. Plus, the people that know how to sell and know how to create things are the people that seem to have the most money and freedom. When you look at the logic and ignore "conventional wisdom."

2. Asad Moughal

Asad Moughal New Member

Knowledge is often a great weapon to have and college is definitely where you will find some. Ideas are often floating around and with the right mind- set and environment i'm sure someone can grasp it, but this all starts by going to college and pursing a degree. This will not only empower you, but will make it more easier to find a job!

3. Invincible

Invincible New Member

I think when reading about the most successful college dropouts such a as Mark Zuckerberg, Bill Gates, Steve Jobs, many youngsters don't think about the other thousands of dropouts who failed. It is very absurd to assume that dropping out of college will help you.
    These people had a really clear vision as to why college is a waste of time for them, this obviously does not apply to everyone. I strongly recommend every youngster to think it through rather than just reading the success stories.

KenBrace likes this.
  4. Michael85

Michael85 New Member

Instead of college you could spend 4 years starting and building your business and invest money you would had spent for tuition.

5. jaz2012

jaz2012 New Member

I don't view college as a complete waste. Some careers do demand that you have a degree. People say that college opens more opportunities for you as far as jobs are concerned. If you don't have a job that requires a degree, I still don't see the harm in taking a few classes to enrich yourself. You can even meet new people who have different ways of looking at things.

6. mykelrhievenz

mykelrhievenz New Member

No because if you finish your course in college more work to come rather than who did not finish or come to college.

7. Nakia

Nakia New Member

College is not a waste, you just have to find a lucrative major. One that is in high- demand.

8. Shadowkatt

Shadowkatt New Member

College is not for everyone that is definitely a point. Saying it is a waste of time is not true in the least. College for those that have the drive to succeed i it is a wonderful thing for broadening ones horizons and meeting new people. The experiences you have are also worthy of note as well given that it is these that allow you to put any knowledge you gain to good use. There is so much gray area with this that there really is no definitive answer.

9. daniel njonge

daniel njonge New Member

The answer for this question is based on the situation one might be.I am university student and during my long holiday I really searched for a job in my hometown but didn't get any.For that moment I found it a waste but coming days after I graduate I hope it won't be a waste to be in a college or in university.

10. Kaushik Angara

Kaushik Angara New Member

No, going to college is not a waste. In fact, you must be lucky that you are going to college. The situation is pathetic outside. People are dying to get a degree and experience what college life really is. One must be gifted to attend classes, hang around with friends, participate in group activities and at the same time get a valuable college degree.

People might argue that they can learn whatever is taught in college without attending college but they cannot experience the real college life without attending it. The thrill of the last minute project submissions, the exam tensions, the fun at the birthday parties form an important part of student life. Indeed, college is second home.

11. Skysnap

Skysnap New Member

I think a lot of what we think is waste or useful depends on circumstances. For example, if your circumstances permit you to study then you can and achieve success. However if you are not good with education, then you have to find other ways to success in life. Be it through business or some service. College education just helps us to face the real world with skills. If not college, you have to learn those skills on your own.

Kaushik Angara likes this.
  12. Focused

Focused New Member

I think that college is definitely not a waste of time. Even if you do not use your college degree on a day to day basis. Employers like to see the completion of a degree. General Studies course can open your eyes to things you never considered prior. College career centers can afford you opportunities on the strength of the colleges name and their reputation. Advisers are able to meet one on one and give you expert advice- for free!!! College is not a waste of time, by any means.

13. MA Fresia

MA Fresia New Member

Presuming there is such a thing as higher education, and I am for the moment going to do that, I think it has always been education for its own sake. The love of the subject matter, the desire to have some depth or breadth of understanding, are the reasons for pursuing higher education. Obtaining a degree to further economic development I would think is an Industrial Age and Post-Industrial Age sort of thing. Degree requirements replaced traditional apprenticeships. Perhaps some of the purity has been lost in the motivation for seeking higher education and been replaced with the practicalities associated with a monetary system. I don't think compensation or applied learning is incompatible with pure motivation. It may tend to marginalize it as you've pointed out. I know of an annual report from a certain state university that lists the salary of a single professor at $650,000. The same state who salaries this single professor from the tax base has not adequately funded vital needs for the underserved or underprivileged for over 20 years. The single salary of this professor over two years would have housed over 200 impoverished people for one to four years. That is the kind of self-interest and blind greed that can happen when money becomes the object in education.

You're right about weighing the logic for average earners. It does not make sense to turn education into a high-priced degree factory for the sake of making money alone, and then have graduates suffer economic hardship when the expectation of a certain salary is not realized for whatever reason. That would be quite a disappointment.

Another disappointing aspect of marrying education to money is that in the professions or vocations you mentioned, there are many sad examples of candidates chasing money rather than devoting themselves to a higher calling for the sake of bettering the lives of others. Professional ethics boards sometimes regulate or govern blind greed as a counterbalance to market driving and market forces that might be more contrived, but it is a shameful necessity. Doctors, nurses, psychologists and attorneys in the helping professions should be there entirely because they wish to help humanity, not primarily because they are promised five or six figure salaries and haven't an ounce of caring. It becomes a question of is it ever appropriate to incentivize when life or health is at stake? Can you pay people to care? Will they make the right decisions if you do? Experience has borne out that those who are there for the money usually make the worst candidates. Those who don't give a fig for how much money they earn and are there to help or heal usually make the finest. You don't want someone making vital life or health care decisions on the basis of "How much money am I going to make on this case?"

Selling widgets is of course an entirely different story, and you are correct that many who excel in that regard forego formal or higher education. Those who are naturally creative, inventive, or innovative in many cases do not feel the need for it. Knowing how to sell or create things can be a matter of life experience and environmental exposure, and that, too, is an education. Mom and dad did it, or training was on-the-job, or by osmosis in some other context. Those experiences are valuable and many employers credit life experience as much as a degree and higher education. I think there was a line from a movie once, to the effect that a student could get everything a Harvard or Yale education offered for $1.50 in late fees at the public library. I don't know if that is true in terms of the boys club network that avows "membership has its privileges," but it may be true in terms of pure knowledge.

If you don't care about networking amongst the fraternal orders, becoming financially free can be a matter of lifestyle choice as much as salary. If living the agrarian life is not out of the question, self-sufficient small acreage and a pastoral life can mean a great deal of liberation from the common monetary systems. I know some who tend toward the slightly hermetic and who think it is a vast improvement over certain elements of society. Even for urban dwellers and the citified, I'm sure one hundred acres of buffer, peace, quiet, and disengagement on occasion does not sound like the worst freedom to buy with your time, talents, and whatever money you own to. Freedom is a highly individual concept.

On the positive side, economies of scale have been known to open for those in even the lowest earning echelons. If you were, as you mentioned, to find yourself in a $30,000 job after paying $50,000 a year and owing $200,00 for a four-year degree, you can be fairly confident there would be a thrift store and Everything's A Dollar retail outlet near you. That seems to be the way of the world in terms of market adjustment-- not that I am an advocate of the way of the world, but it is a hopeful note in an otherwise abysmal proposition for a life circumstance.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  14. MA Fresia

MA Fresia New Member

A lot depends on the cost of the education. If the cost of getting someone to certify that you read six books a semester and took three multiple choice tests is $50,000 a year, it may not make sense at all. Doing the equivalent of sitting in for a $50,000 book club discussion may not be a valuable or practical thing to do depending on where you are situated. If you could use your library card check out record and produce an essay on your readings to return to the book drop, it might amount to the same thing in terms of certification. There is the credentialing for cash and then there is the education. They are two different things.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2016
  15. jfrey328

jfrey328 New Member

I don't think it's waste. It's unfortunate, but the bachelor's degree has become the new high school diploma. A lot of jobs require a four-year degree in any subject. This helps employers narrow down their pool of applicants.

With this being said, you should go to college for something lucrative like computer science or engineering. You'll go into debt, but it'll be worth it.

16. Terry

Terry New Member

Соllеgе is а mixеd bаg. Yоu will find thаt аbоut а third оf yоur instruсtоrs hаvе nо intеrеst in tеасhing. Thеy аrе thеrе tо dо rеsеаrсh аnd thеy tеасh bесаusе thеir соntrасt rеquirеs it. Yоu will find thаt аbоut а third оf yоur instruсtоrs mеаn wеll, but thеy hаvе rесеivеd nо trаining in tеасhing sо dоn't knоw hоw tо dо it. Аnd yоu will find thаt аbоut а third оf yоur instruсtоrs аrе nаturаlly tаlеntеd аt tеасhing аnd yоu will еnjоy thеir сlаssеs аnd bе inspirеd. Sо, fоr twо thirds оf thе сlаssеs yоu tаkе, yоu wоuld hаvе bееn bеttеr оff just buying thе tеxtbооk frоm аmаzоn аnd stаying hоmе.

But, соllеgе dоеs fоrсе disсiplinе. Yоu'rе pаying gооd mоnеy, sо yоu will fееl оbligаtеd tо put in thе timе аnd еffоrt nееdеd tо lеаrn. Yоu might nоt hаvе thаt sаmе disсiplinе аt hоmе with yоur Аmаzоn tеxtbооk.

17. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 New Member

College is not a waste because of the value you can get out of it. There are ways to going to school without getting $50,000 in debt, if you are able to save up your money for your children that is one way and a better way to go to college or to have you children get some type of scholarship. College is not for everyone however, but maybe worth the time and effort if you give it a go. College can be also a great way to meet new people if you go to a different city from where you live.

18. 2Robert

2Robert New Member

In my оpiniоn thе wоrth оf соllеgе is nоt еаsy tо dеfinе. Strаight аftеr grаduаting I соuldn't gеt а jоb, blаming my соursе fоr nоt prеpаring mе prоpеrly wаs аn еаsy sсаpеgоаt fоr mе. Hоwеvеr, аftеr stаrting my businеss аnd rеаlly аpplying mysеlf I rеаlisеd thаt а lоt оf whаt I lеаrnеd аt соllеgе wаs invаluаblе. Nоt оnly did I lеаrn impоrtаnt skills rеlеvаnt tо my industry but I wаs аblе tо асquirе сliеnts thrоugh my соllеgе соntасts аnd оnе оf my соllеguеs hаs wоrkеd fоr mе fоr thе twо lаst yеаrs.

Likе sсhооl, соllеgе is whаt yоu mаkе оf it аnd whilе I bеliеvе thаt nоthing trumps rеаl-wоrld ехpеriеnсе, соllеgе саn bе еssеntiаl fоr dеvеlоping а fоundаtiоn оf соntасts, knоwlеdgе аnd ехpеriеnсе if yоu tаkе it sеriоusly.

19. womforums

womforums New Member

Going to collage can be extremely good for your job prospects if you get into a really good course, like one of the STEM fields. Nowadays a lot of people are getting utterly useless diplomas like Arts or even worse gender studies. The people you will often see complaining about collage fees are people got tricked into these useless diplomas and have just found out they are useless after studying for years.

20. QuickSilverD

QuickSilverD New Member

I did go to college because that is what I "was supposed to do" but right now I can say it has benefited me much, I am not working in my area and frankly just thinking about how much money was spent on it makes me nervous. so from my perspective college was kinda of a waste, as in if I could rewind time, I am not sure I would even bother, would probably try to get some more practical skills.