IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is it Possible to live without TV?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Germain MUHIRWA, May 29, 2015.

1. Clarandal

Clarandal New Member

Hey dear just to remind yo that we are in 2017, And of cause we can live without Televisions as long as you have your desktop, Tablet, laptop or your smartphone and a WiFi you can still follow news, watch movies, and get everything you want from Television regularly from YouTube or any other channels you follow.

2. AF1013

AF1013 New Member

If the OP is referring to traditional TV you get through a cable or satellite provider, than sure. I only watch the occasional movie on the Sci-Fi channel and the occasional episode of RuPaul's Drag Race and MTV's Catfish on my regular, ad-saturated cable TV. Instead, I have Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, TubiTV, and YouTube as my main sources of entertainment. If on the off chance the question refers to NO screen entertainment at all, then my personal answer is "No way!"

3. tusziget

tusziget New Member

I think it is possible to live without tv.I have not watched tv for a long time.
    I can find everything,that interests me on the Internet.I can even watch tv if I want to,online.
    I think,that the internet offers much more infos,than the tv.You can search everything,that interests you online,immediately,but with tv is different situation,even if there are possibilities to choose the preferred program.
    The internet offers much more infos.This is my personal opinion.

4. Kitakita

Kitakita New Member

Yes it is possible to live without watching Television as long as I have my cellphone and laptop with me and of course with internet for it do be useful. With internet I can watch or read what's going on in the world. I also tried not watching TV way back when I am still working in call center. I wasn't able to watch TV because I don't have much time for that. It's really different when you're working at call center and your schedule is night shift, wasn't able to watch TV is not a big deal after all.

5. Wlof

Wlof New Member

I, as many others, am living proof of that. The time I would spend watching TV, i spend actually on computer.

6. ikechukwusamson

ikechukwusamson New Member

I agree with you i- writer, it is very possible to live without TV because we are in 21st century, everything has been modernized , such as smartphones,laptop, iPad and other , not to talk more of the internet ,you can get anything you want from TV through all those things at the comfort of your home , not to go in search of a movie inside the market.

The movies that are shown can be easily browsed anytime anywhere with those stuffs I mentioned earlier, So yes in a way someone can live without TV.

7. Haroon Rasheed

Haroon Rasheed Member

Ofcourse, it is possible to live without a television.Everything in this world has a different value in the eyes of people.I think so that television has a different but also a unique and ultimate value in the childhood of everyone.The person who is two or more decade old has a specific value of television in his mind.He knows about the great inportance which a television owned.

8. KhalilaRose

KhalilaRose New Member

Cable TV? Definitely possible to live without. TV shows and movies? I know I couldn't live without them. I don't have cable at home, and only watch shows on streaming sites like Netflix. Even if I did have cable, I think I would still prefer to watch a show on Netflix because the frequency of ads on cable is unbearable for me. It's so bad on certain channels that you'd be watching 10 minutes of advertisements for every 5 minutes of the show itself. I could be exaggerating, but even 5 minutes of show for 5 minutes of advertisements is ridiculous. Even breaking news can be found online these days so I can see cable TV becoming irrelevant in the future.

9. anor0428

anor0428 New Member

I agree, nowadays, most of the tv shows can found on the internet. Live streaming, current episodes, past episodes, news and even movies are just a click away. The only problem I see is that when you have a slow internet connection, it'll be pissing if you are watching and the video keeps on buffering every once in a while.

For me, yes it is possible to live without television, it is only a matter of adjustment. :)

10. Azrile

Azrile New Member

It depends on what you consider TV. Is it the actual item, because if so, then I have not watched a TV in almost a decade. I find no real reason to watch TV or have that particular piece of furniture in my house because usually I can watch everything on the internet more convienently. Even when I was younger, I found it absurd that people would quit what they were doing and rush home to watch a certain show that came on at 9pm so that they did not ´miss´ it. With the internet, we also now do not have to get wrapped up in watching a horrible show. You can simply wait for recommendations from trusted friends, and then begin watching a new show. Similarly, even news is better on the internet because with youtube and twitter you can often get unfiltered news about the topics you want to know about without having to watch 30 minutes of whatever topic the news executives thought was appropriate.

11. CyLes

CyLes New Member

Its possible. If we don't have any access to the television we may be mad for a day or more but no longer then that. We have seen many people without television set in their home more happy then us. They are still living. We may find it difficult for some time but after some time thing will settle on their own. The television may be replaced by other means like radio, Internet and many more. Finally about our habit, we may find ourselves busy in playing games, reading books, communicating our knowledge.

12. zebis

zebis New Member

Yes, it's very much possible to live without Television. I myself, I hardly watch Television when my Samsung Galaxy S7 is with me to keep me company. I hardly think towards watching Television because I spend most of my time on my mobile phone. Besides I can read up the latest news and all that I would have watched on the Television online. And moreover, back in the days when there is nothing like technology, ours fathers survived it. So yes it's very much possible to live without Television set.

13. IslandGirl

IslandGirl New Member

I think that it is very possible to live without TV. People in undeveloped countries do it every day. And even people in the USA who love TV can live without TV and still have access to TV shows. I don't know if this was meant to be a trick question, but having computers, tablets, and smartphones with internet access can still give most people all of the TV shows that they want without having an actual television.

14. Andro9ja

Andro9ja New Member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2021
  15. grimes77

grimes77 New Member

The last TV I owned was in 2001. I watched 9/11 happen on it. After that, I went to computer only content. Ironically I hated smart phones... and still have a slight disrespect for certain aspects of them. I recently got a used Note 3 and ported it to note 5. I can watch Youtube very easily on there, or any other video with amazing quality for what I am used to. Why would I need a TV in 2017? To me it's like having a fish tank; if you can afford it and want your house to look nice, why not. So yes, it is totally possible to live without "A" TV. But, to live without watching video would be the real question. How boring would that be?!

16. Jsmith

Jsmith New Member

Yes, it's very much possible to live without TV. It depends individually like some said that old habits is hard to be stopped. Yes I believe in that saying but dropped watching TV easily when am little.

I check up on new movies or news on youtube with my mobile phone or computer or better still read it up than watching it. The internet is better for me than sitting at a position, adjusting my eyes in order to grab something happening on TV hung on a wall. And besides I spend most of my time playing video games with my computer or mobile phones games and spend all most all my on the internet.

Now that am 20 years, living in my own apartment with a television set. I consider as a waste of money and space since my computer and my mobile phone does most of the work rather than wasting my time on a program showing on TV. One of the reasons I hate watching TV is that most of the programs I like watching have scheduled time it is shown on TV, so I opted to watching live on youtube. So Yes, it is very much possible to live without TV.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
  17. ACEP

ACEP New Member

Technology is evolving every day and we cannot stop it, there are a lot of Pro's and Con's in the technologies but still, it depends on how you use it.

Television, it is indeed a must have in our home. But how if TV doesn't exist? Can you live without it? My answer is yes. I can live without Television, there are better ways to unwind which can help you live a healthy life. Without television, there may be an urge to do something better for yourself or for your family, it may be a hiking with your friends, trail running, or making pizza dough from scratch. It may also help you eat less, some people love to eat in front of a television, but without the television, you'll move more and eat less. More time with your family, without the television you may interact more with your family. :)

18. Kelly King

Kelly King New Member

Over three months ago, I decided to stop watching television. Instead of feeling left out, I now feel more in tune with popular culture and with the world in general

Although before now I can stay without TV,but I moved from the family house and started living on my own for the first time in my life. One of the first decisions I made was that I wasn't going to have a TV set, and I've not regretted it for a moment.

So not having a TV gave me one less reason to stay in and succumb to isolation. It has also saved me a fair amount of money. As well as the cost of the actual equipment itself, there's no hefty monthly subscription to a cable or satellite provider (most of the programmes that I would want to watch are on channels you can't get on Freeview). And I don't regret not having it.

19. silentzero07

silentzero07 New Member

For me it is not possible because even though you have computers to be a substitute for a tv its just not enough to make you satisfy because what if there is a blackout and there is no way to watch a movie, news or whatever in the computer with the use of the internet?Oryou don't have an internet?What will you do? Of course for me it is not that easy to not watch television because as what I've observed most news or movies is the internet is not reliable or enough for you. The things on the internet is not the same on the television because television is organized while in the internet it is very hassle, especially when you encounter any viruses, low of internet connection and other things that could be a circumstance while using computer. Living without television is not that easy to say that it is possible because it is where we start when the computer or the internetdoesn't exist yet.

20. Ronah7385

Ronah7385 New Member

Yes, it is very possible without television. Specially in our modern day today. There is internet connection. We can easily browse to websites to watch what we want. We can easily browse YouTube to watch videos that will help us to get information. I think in the mere future televisions will going to be crashed out.