IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Name a scientist you know.

Discussion in 'Science' started by Francene, Apr 13, 2018.

1. Francene

Francene New Member

What scientist do you know of? I know you probably know 2 or three but for this thread, just name one scientist you know or even respect. It doesn't matter if someone mentioned the name already.

2. AlisaTR

AlisaTR New Member

George Washington Carver was an African American scientist and agricultural pioneer. When I was a kid growing up, I read this story about Carver as an African American scientist who had invented peanut butter and I had loved peanut butter, so I was fascinated.

It turns out that while Carver may have invented hundreds of recipes involving the peanut, including shampoos and soaps and cheese, he might not have been responsible for the actual peanut butter invention. Nevertheless, he was a chemist of great renown.

Born into slavery and raised in Missouri in the Civil War era, George Washington Carver reportedly had a very difficult beginning. There is little that has been said of his father, who is believed to have been killed shortly before he was born, and his mother was believed to have been kidnapped and sold by unscrupulous men during the Civil War itself. Raised as an orphan by a German-American immigrant couple, Carver went to extreme lengths to acquire an education. He had a natural knack for science and botany.

His accomplishments striving against the odds are indisputable. As an adult, he spent a lot of his time researching the the use of potatoes and peanuts as alternatives to cotton to prevent soil depletion and as a source of food so that poor farmers in the south could become self sustainable.

There are many other scientists of equal and greater renown, but if I am asked to speak of only one, I would speak of George Washington Carver for I live by the quote attributed to him, which states, "When you do the common things in life in an uncommon way, you will command the attention of the world."

3. dennoh319

dennoh319 New Member

Albert Einstein was born in Ulm in the year 1879. At a rather young age he was perplexed by the universe and especially by light which probably contributed to his greatest works such as the photoelectric effect and his legendary theory of relativity.
    He even contributed to the development of the nuclear bomb .Even so ,he went against its use in the second world war .
    He is remembered to this day for his iconic work in the creation of the theory of special relativity.His invention of the law of the photoelectric effect earned him a nobel prize in the year 1921.
    He even applied his genius theory of relativity to generate a large scale image of the universe .His theory of special relativity has led to the development of theories on how to travel through time.
    To me Einstein is just as iconic as Isaac Newton,THE FATHER OF PHYSICS .