IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Should flu shots be mandatory in the healthcare field?

Discussion in 'Medical' started by b_carter1980, Nov 22, 2016.

1. b_carter1980

b_carter1980 New Member

I work at a hospital and every year we are required to get a flu shot. If we do not get a flu shot by a designated date we are subject to disciplinary action - up to, and including, termination. Now I have an issue with this. Actually, I have several.

For one, I don't think flu shots are even effective. I've been getting them by mandate for four years now, and out of the four years I still contacted the flu...twice! Reason being, it only protects you against certain strains of the flu. So why bother?

My other reasoning is because I don't work directly with patients. In fact, I work in the sub-basement far away from patients. Since I'm in such a confined area I don't see the purpose of having a flu shot. For me, if I'm sick I'm staying home. I would hope the same could be said for my co-workers.

Finally - well, for the sake of this post - your body naturally develops an immunity to the flu. We are growing, evolving beings. Our immune system is an amazing work of art. It protects us from exposure to elements we don't even know exist! I'm quite sure our immune systems can protect us from the flu - at the very least cut our affected time in half.

Now if you're dealing with patients all day I can see the benefits, but to have everyone mandated? Even vendors that don't work directly for the hospital? I think that's a bit ridiculous. Nevertheless, I got mine today. Three hours later, I'm starting to feel like crap! *yay me*

2. lc87

lc87 New Member

I completely agree with you, but I guess they adopt that mandate for everyone who works at the hospital to minimize the chance that their more vulnerable patients will contract the flu. Unfortunately, during the cooler months of the year, viruses can live longer on things like doorknobs and other commonly touched surfaces. If you happen to cough or sneeze anywhere near the main foyer or entrance, then I guess there'd be a higher likelihood of passing it on to someone else, even if you work in an isolated part of the building.

With all that being said, I think termination is a bit harsh for something as simple as failing to get a flu shot. I'm sorry you'r not feeling well, though. I hope you get well soon.

3. BethSztruhar

BethSztruhar New Member

I work at a hospital and they don't even ask us if we want the flu shot. Right now guess what....I have the flu.

4. macgirl68

macgirl68 New Member

I don't think it should be mandatory. I for instance have not had a flu or cold for about twenty years now. I worked in an ER at that time and it being a petri dish had me sick constantly over the first two months. After that I developed one very strong immune system.

Personally, a flu shot would be more harmful to me than not getting one. The only reason I say this is because I will get mild flu symptoms from the shot vs. experiencing no flu symptoms if I don't get the shot. I want to make it very clear I am NOT an anti-vaxxer and never will be because I actually have an understanding of epidemiology (something anti-vaxxers must lack just simply to be one).

5. NeilTarquin

NeilTarquin New Member

Flu shots should be given as mandatory for health care providers because workers in this area are fully exposed to nosocomial infections. No matter how many times we take the shot, we still must have that. The first people that needs protection is a health worker.