IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

What is the best antivirus to go on a new computer?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by deepmartin, Feb 21, 2016.

1. deepmartin

deepmartin New Member

So I just finished my new computer and I'm looking to get some anti virus. I used to use avast all the time on my old PC. Anyone know of something that's really good or just better then Avast? Or is Avast pretty good?

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Shivam Roopam

Shivam Roopam New Member

There is no real "best". Each Av suite has its positives and its negatives and goes by user feel. On paper, AVIRA, BitDefender, Panda and TrendMicro blocked 100 percent of malware samples in real world protection test Aug 2015. This is the best indicator of how well an AV suite is.

In Heuristic testing March 2015 (AV suite blocked undocumented malware using behavior algorithms) Bitdefender had a 99 percent block rate with few false alarms (AVIRA, PANDA and Trend Micro were not part of this test).

In AV-TEST – The Independent IT-Security Institute testing the top 5 Suites were: BitDefender, Panda, McAfee, FSecure, and BullGuard/Avira were tied for 5th. So the takeaway on paper is that in testing, BitDefender consistently beats out the competition. What makes a good AV suite though? To me, it is how well it does its job, affects computer performance, and how much doing all of that cost. I used BitDefender for a year, and was not satisfied it lived up to any of those things. I personally use the paid upgrade to AVAST, which is about half the cost of BitDefender, has just as good test scores and has a very low system impact, and has some extra features is appreciate.

3. Rahul Taware

Rahul Taware New Member

I find Quick-heal the best antivirus available in the market. If you live in India Net Protector is best antivirus option. If you don't want to pay then install Quick-heal, even if not registered it still protects your PC from viruses and don't let it get damaged.

4. mylenix

mylenix New Member

I am personally using Malware-bytes Anti Malware, it's been working great so far. It detects and alerts you of any threat, not excluding the most minimum. It's scanning process is quite fast and runs smoothly.

5. Memelordjuli

Memelordjuli New Member

Malware-bytes is great. It is free, but you can pay for an upgraded version. I have the free version, and scans on my laptop usually take about half an hour. Ive ran other anti-viruses/anti-malware on my same laptop and they can take hours. It removes PUPs, malware, and anything else it finds wrong.

6. zeldor711

zeldor711 New Member

I used to use AVG (the free version) but now like so many others I use Malware-Bytes Anti Malware. It seems to pick up on nearly any virus or other infection (not even sure what the Pro version could improve on)! It is constantly being updated and has good support . It works really fast and is very easy to customize, being able to select and change folders to scan.

7. yowsef24

yowsef24 New Member

The best anti-virus for your computer will be Eset nod32 as this antivirus is so reliable that in my 5 years of experience using this product I didn't experience having a virus on my personal computer. The activation fee is reasonable enough for your computer security. I am referring through my experience with this product that I can assure you the safety of your computer as long as you always update it through internet.

8. rbj8611

rbj8611 New Member

In my opinion, a combination of both AVG and Malwarebytes does a great job of protecting computers. I've been using AVG alone for at least close to 10 years and it really hasn't failed me yet, especially given the amount of "digging" I do on the internet. If I have any complaint about AVG it's that it gives a lot of false-positives, but that's not even necessarily a complaint, I guess.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Member

As for me I like free stuff. I found a free anti virus from Microsoft and let the library that I borrow netbooks from and internet computers with about it and now they have installed in some of their netbooks. Microsoft Security Essentials is free and works fine with no alerts that drive you crazy. One thing I've found that's free to is Norton safe web check. I've read positive things about Microsoft Defender too, but not tried it.

10. Aree Wongwanlee

Aree Wongwanlee New Member

From my personal experience, there is no one single anti-virus program which can do the job all by itself. Some programs can detect some viruses better than others, yet may not detect certain viruses which are detected by others. I learned this from my work in cleaning viruses from my clients' computers.

Currently, I am using Bitdefender. It works quietly in the background. So far so good. If I find something abnormal about my computer's performance, I am prepared to make full use of all anti-virus programs available to flush out the virus.

11. badcannon

badcannon New Member

Let me tell you one thing I do not know which operating system you are going with if you are going with windows 10 then I would recommend defender that is preinstalled on windows 10 machine because it is just the best on windows 10,You just have to activate it You get free updates ,when I say updates I mean security,definitions updates ,it is better than any other paid antiviruses.Well after reading all this and you still want to pay for an antivirus then I recommend ESET security system it is best in the market and also cheap compared to other antiviruses like the one you stated above avast.If you are going for Windows 7/rt/8/vista ESET is still good or you can go for defender as well.

ESET Home page:http://adyou.me/ryVR

12. shark1234

shark1234 New Member

Bitdefender Antivirus Plus is definitely the best in the antivirus ,as it not only keeps your computer and essential information secure but is also very light (meaning it will use very little resources) in it's functioning.

It also provide features like:-

1. Antimalware
    2. Autoscans USB
    3. Scans incoming email
    4. Gamer mode
    5. Bootable rescue CD
    6. Password Manager.
    Apart from that, it's also very good at not throwing up false warnings so that's less nuisance for you as well.

13. vinsenspy

vinsenspy New Member

There are several different security software programs I have used in the past including McAfee and Kaspersky but same as yours Avast is the one of the best antivirus now which I am using, you can just scan and you have to upgrade to fix everything. I understand that some people here are using AVG, I wouldn't mess with AVG again if it was the last antivirus program on this earth. I am sorry for the term but I really think it is garbage. You download that AVG internet security on the previous version as of today, it will screw your computer up and throw a blue screen of death on it and eat it up. The only way to remove it is to restore the system not unless you want to reload your PC. You got to go in safe mode to do that, it is not worth destroying your computer with the hassle. You have the best one, it's Avast.

14. Ehsan

Ehsan New Member

The best Antivirus software for PC, Mac, Android and IOs I can recommend is ESET Nod 32. Usually AV software use too much memory, especially when logging on to the system. ESET has engineered in that department pretty well, and you won’t even notice that the software has loaded. I have been having a rather smooth experience with ESET.

The threat detection and then deleting it, and checking the system for any kind of malicious activity is so instant. Try it and you will be amazed how this software works. I have been using it for over 5 years and it never made me think to move on to any other security software.

15. kayjay77

kayjay77 New Member

Hi Shivam.

You vigilantly noted as a very nice reminder that there is no really best way of protecting our computer against viruses. This is important for us to know because we increase the chances of exploring all antivirus software and methods that may be the best choice for the computer that we are using at the time. Too, yes, AVAST has so many great reviews that it is practically impossible to ignore not only the great upgrades and quality, yet the significant price range as well; very nice.

16. drdrizzle

drdrizzle New Member

AVG is way better i have been using it for 10 years now and it does good job for me

17. Joshua Bautista

Joshua Bautista New Member

Go for a combo of Malwarebytes for malware and Kaspersky for virus. I never had problems with my pc with that two applications