IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Why Is Mathematics Difficult?

Discussion in 'Education' started by jonathscliq, Aug 19, 2017.

1. jonathscliq

jonathscliq New Member

This question will always arise every now and then. A question that knows no international boundry. There must be a reason why it is such a global issue. I was going through some of my primary textbook recently and I kept asking myself this question.

In your opinion, my is this subject so peculiar in terms of readily understing its concepts .Is it solely as s reult of inadequate practise of the subject, or is there a particular style of study that should be adopted in it's teaching and learnig?

2. Damianus

Damianus New Member

Mathematics is somehow difficult if you don't go over the concepts regularly. I just had the same thought when I was in school. Things changed when I decided to do regular revision of the concepts I learn in class. Passing my exams was no longer an issue.

3. Successlots

Successlots New Member

Mathematics like every other subject taught in school needs serious concentration.
    In my opinion, the subject is not difficult as people make it to look like. A student who wishes to excel in Mathematics must give himself to constant study, following the concept/steps in the examples given and practicing relevant questions. Several factors are responsible for failure in this subjects. The method of teaching plays an important role. It determines whether a student will assimilate what is being taught or not. The teacher must make the class interactive by ensuring that each student understands the steps taken to arrive at the final answer.
    With this in place, the rate of failure in the subject will be greatly reduced.

4. Belinda M. Teodosio

Belinda M. Teodosio New Member

I get your point but actually you don't need a serious concentration because even you concentrate but not able to analyze the formula and that is useless. I have classmates before, that during Math class, they listen and concentrate but in the end of the class the truth is they don't understand. Mathematics is the most easiest subject why?, because you don't have to memorize as long as you know to analyzed the problem, you will get it correctly.

You've also said that a student must have a constant study in Math in order to excel, but for me there's no need to do that. During my highschool days I give more time studying English since the module of teaching in school is English and all our exams in all subject is instructed in English. Although my English is not an American standard English, but studying English can help me analyzed the Mathematics. I do not study Math but I practice Math, I think that is the right term. But I totally agree with you that the teacher plays an important role since the score in exams of the student reflects to the performance of the teacher. This is just my opinion.