IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Your favorite deep quote?

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by digitalsatori, Apr 16, 2015.

1. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Pompous Maladroit Moderator

What is your favorite quote that really makes you think? The one that keeps you up at night; that quote that, when you heard it, stopped you in your tracks; that quote that changed your life.

I have a few (as I'm sure most of you do):

"There are no ordinary moments." - Dan Millman

“The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently.” - Nietzsche

"Think of the rivers of blood spilled by all those generals and emperors so that in glory and triumph they could become the momentary masters of a fraction of a dot." - Carl Sagan

aimayaram likes this.
  2. Briana White

Briana White New Member

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them." - Mark Twain

"You can't stop the waves, but you can learn to surf." - Jon Kabat -Zinn

"Death is the only pure, beautiful conclusion of a great passion."- David Herbert Lawrence

There are so many more on the walls in my room to choose from, but those are a few of my favorites.

3. Leky

Leky New Member

"Ad aspera ad astra"

4. Akoria

Akoria New Member

I have a few:

"You just can’t be nice all the time. Sometimes you just need to do the right things, not nice things."
    "Women are more attracted to men who pay attention to the little details about them without having to be reminded." (Deepest and truest of all quotes)
    "Never leave a person that touches your soul more than your body"
    "Be with people who make you happy, do things that make you laugh, go to places you can't even pronounce. Live life as though it is your last day"

Those are just a few quotes I live by everyday".

5. ClaraBell

ClaraBell New Member

I have several favourite quotes, but Shakespeare quotes are the ones I turn to most often. I remember as a young woman feeling jealously for the first time; my father wrote this quote on a piece of paper for me and I have kept it ever since:

"O, beware, my lord, of jealousy;
    It is the green-eyed monster which doth mock
    The meat it feeds on; that cuckold lives in bliss
    Who, certain of his fate, loves not his wronger."
    Othello (3.3)

When you really think about that green eyed monster mocking you for being jealous, you soon learn to change your attitude to things.

6. sabrina

sabrina New Member

My Favourite Quote is "There is a difference between giving up and knowing when you have had enough". Giving up is the lack of persistence. It is the ability to try something once or twice and due to failed results you decide to stop. Having enough is knowing that you have tried every possible way to make something successful but it just wont succeed so there and then you realize you have had enough.

7. lizzips

lizzips New Member

My favorite deep quote is, "God, grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change, courage to change the things I can, and the wisdom to know the difference."
    Also, another famous song quote is my favorite by John Lennon of The Beatles: "Give Peace a Chance."
    Another favorite quote of mine is by Neil Armstrong, "That's one small step for man and one large leap for mankind."

Victor Kimani likes this.
  8. MistyMisty

MistyMisty New Member

"Do not ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, then do it. For what the world needs is people who have come alive." -Howard Thurman.
    I find this quote to be so powerful and so true. Doing what you love to do with all of your heart is much more beneficial than trying to figure out who to please, and how to go about pleasing them. Do what makes you happy, that's what it's all about.

9. swalia

swalia New Member

"The purpose of life is a life with a purpose.
    This quote is like a mission statement for me. I try to live a meaningful life with a purpose. I believe that I am on this planet for some purpose and while I am here, I must serve others in whatever capacity I can.

10. Dachiraju Gautham Raju

Dachiraju Gautham Raju New Member

Quote on Celibacy

If you put butter before the fire, automatically it melts. Similarly, a woman is considered an fire and man is considered butter. So this is natural.
    But a person who is not agitated, he is called sober.

This quote always rescues me from the pangs of female attachments and helps me remain a Sober.

11. Cloverz

Cloverz New Member

I have a number of them! :D

This quote is from one of my all-time favorite novels, "The Kite Runner" by Khaled Hosseini. The entire book was filled with beautiful and meaningful quotes. I struggled to pick my favorite, by here it is:

“When you kill a man, you steal a life. You steal his wife's right to a husband, rob his children of a father. When you tell a lie, you steal someone's right to the truth. When you cheat, you steal the right to fairness.”

Another personal favorite was made by Paul McCartney from the Beatles:

"You can judge a man's true character by the way he treats his fellow animals."

It's simple, but has so much meaning and emotion. I love animals dearly and when I first read that quote, I teared up from emotion. Animals aren't like human beings. They love you no matter what and I think that's very special.

12. aimayaram

aimayaram New Member

I like this quote by Mahatma Gandhi: "First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win."
    It's always funny when the underdog wins. It's generally what makes a story successful. Look at Harry Potter, the scarred insignificant boy, who destroyed Lord Voldemort. This quote also has the idea of relentless training, with some deep faith in your victory, which I find very inspiring.

13. terryse2015

terryse2015 New Member

Here are some of those inspiring ones that readily comes to mind...

Opportunity dances with those already on the dance floor - H. Jackson Brown, Jr.

Let us never negotiate out of fear. But let us never fear to negotiate. - John F. Kennedy

Worry is like a rocking chair, it gives you something to do, but gets you nowhere. - Van Wilder

14. Eliot

Eliot New Member

Commit to the Lord, whatever you do, and your plans will succeed. Proverbs 16:3

15. odette3282000

odette3282000 New Member

Whatsoever thy hand findeth to do, do it with thy might; for there is no work, nor device, nor knowledge, nor wisdom, in the grave, whither thou goest. I returned, and saw under the sun, that the race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, neither yet bread to the wise, nor yet riches to men of understanding, nor yet favour to men of skill; but time and chance happeneth to them all. ECC. 9:10-11

16. BloomingThrough

BloomingThrough Member

One of my favorite quotes would have to be "He who angers you controls you" This quote reminds me to never let anyone get me to that level of discomfort. Usually when someone makes us angry we tend to attack eachother verbally or physically. If I allow them to get the best of me, and to behave out of character then they've simply won over on me. It just reminds me that I am in control of my life, not anyone else.

17. luri

luri New Member

My all time favorite quote is from Veda, a Book of Hindu Scriptures. It says...

If the world was not so beautiful, why would Gods come to live with us.

In Hindu theologies, there are stories of Gods and deities coming to earth to live with humans, live like humans. The quote has a deep and profound meaning. It puts importance on living life in full circle, celebrating life, and being happy.

18. Reese

Reese New Member

Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated. Confucius