IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Can Netflix Compete

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by galmal, Apr 12, 2015.

1. galmal

galmal New Member

Two yeas ago, netflix came out with Orange is the New Black and House of Cards. Both were interesting and different and got critical acclaim. Since then, netflix has really jumped into original programming with both feet. Some of the shows I really like - others not so much. But I find it interesting that they are able to produce quality shows with "name brand" stars - like Kevin Spacey. They are now getting into movies and animation.

So, should the networks be concerned? For years, the networks have refused to embrace new technologies - like streaming. It seems like they're finally realizing that not everyone watches TV on a big screen, in their recliners. Do you think that netflix has the networks scrambling? Do you think netflix will be successful in the long run?

2. james H

james H New Member

I find no reason for Netflix to make their own movies and shows. I don't really care if they do a few, however I don't want Netflix to make ALL their own content. However, in today's world, more and more people are getting Smart TVs, which can browse netflix, Cable companies cost too much, and it's just a big hassle. For 9 bucks a month, if Netflix starts to get more shows I'd like, I think they'd definitely dominate the market, and to me they already are.

3. hatterasfish

hatterasfish New Member

I think Netflix will be successful in the long run. The only area that they are lacking in is keeping up with the new TV shows. They eventually add episodes to popular TV shows to their website, but I think they would be a lot more popular if they added new shows the day after they air like Hulu does.

ctfranklin28 likes this.
  4. xXTHEICEXx

xXTHEICEXx Member

Netflix is okay, they do add some good shows like House, Burn Notice, Orange is the new black, but there is often times when they add shows and or movies that are bad, but Netflix has a lot of subscribers. I'm pretty sure they're going to be good in the long run.

5. SlickBlasian

SlickBlasian New Member

It's not just Netflix, but Hulu, YouTube especially and other streaming content that will surpass television stat wise in the long run. Cable costs too much and commercial breaks can be irritating though they should be around.

ctfranklin28 likes this.
  6. xXTHEICEXx

xXTHEICEXx Member

I prefer having Netflix or Hulu or anyone of them because they're pretty much cheaper than cable. Comcast is way too expensive for no reason plus they have hidden fees too. But some how Comcast is holding themselves up by over charging their customers for basic cable.

7. rahman quadri

rahman quadri New Member

I don't think Netflix can really compete with cable that gives us brand new episodes of your favorite shows. while Netflix is cheaper and gives you most of your shows with no commercials, you will end up finding Netflix boring watching the same shows all day long. Cable gives us much more overall, and I think it is worth the expense.

8. xXTHEICEXx

xXTHEICEXx Member

Netflix will always have new shows every week, and they always have plenty of stuff to watch like a lot of stuff. I am currently watching Everyone loves Raymond and I've been watching the show for about a month now with I think 9 seasons? Im not sure.

I don't think Netflix can compete with Comcast. Comcast offers more than channels, don't forget phone and internet service too. Also Comcast has been around for a long time too.

9. ctfranklin28

ctfranklin28 New Member

I think Netflix (and by extension, Hulu and others) will do OK, while television will become decline in influence. I don't think it's going anywhere for a little while, but I think that Netflix found a way to successfully disrupt TV's influence. Before, if you were anybody, you were on television. If you wanted a successful show, it was on television. Because of this, TV execs thought it would continue forever.

Netflix came along and offered a way to get that same experience at a much cheaper price in a way that is more convenient and accessible to their audience. This occurred at the same time that customers were getting tired of the saturation of TV (too many channels, higher prices, etc.). Netflix picked a good time for the right audience.

Even if Netflix were to decline or go out of business, they have shown that the "TV model" will no longer be as it once was.

10. silverhammer

silverhammer New Member

One place Netflix falls short is accessibility for the blind and hearing impaired. One reason I still have cable is because I can't navigate Netflix on my own as a visually impaired person. Unlike broadcast and cable networks, Netflix doesn't have to abide my the laws in regards to accessibility both of their platform and their shows.

ctfranklin28 likes this.
  11. ctfranklin28

ctfranklin28 New Member

Thank you so much for sharing your perspective on this! I would have never considered this!

Your post actually made me conduct a little Google search about this to see if anything had been done. I just learned that Netflix will be adding audio descriptions to Netflix and there are advocacy efforts underway (petitions, etc.) to help make Netflix accessible to everyone.

Thank you again for letting me know about this! I will do what I can to help anyway I can!

12. xXTHEICEXx

xXTHEICEXx Member

I think Netflix will be around. It's a great service to have if you don't have many channels like I do. I have basic cable, channels 1-19. I watch netflix almost every day, if it was not for Netflix then I'll be bored most of the time watching the same thing everything. Netflix gives me a lot to offer with many shows like Orange is the New Black, Everybody Loves Raymond, Burn Notice, 30 Days, Psyche, Family Guy, Bob's Burger, The Office, and much, much more. They also have some great movies too, and they have cartoon and anime shows that some of okay. I want to try out Hulu and see what they got. Maybe when I get tired of Netflix, I'll switch over.

13. ZeeMan

ZeeMan New Member

As a user of Netflix myself I really due believe that it will come on top in the war between it and cable companies. The way it allows you to watch any show from any point in time makes it quite remarkable. As Netflix comes out with original content cable companies are probably wetting their pants. I am sure that Netflix will be victorious in the battle against cable!

14. mrindependent

mrindependent New Member

I think Netflix can compete. I look at Netflix more than i look at cable TV. Netflix is just cost effective compared to cable and even bootlegs. lol

15. xXTHEICEXx

xXTHEICEXx Member

What if netflix offered internet and phone service too?
    And the prices for netflix, internet and phone was ten dollars each; in addition, with a one or two of fines.
    30-45 dollars every month, if Neflix did that, then they would compete with Comcast.
    Would you think people would switch over? Maybe if they did like they're own cable...with cheap prices.
    Comcast wouldn't stand a chance.

SmartLilLady86 likes this.
  16. butterfly1

butterfly1 New Member

I really think that Netflix will be successful in the long run. They have proven a model that works. They have disrupted an archaic system. Independent film makers can now cut out the middle man (the networks) and have their art viewed by the masses due to Netflix. We can watch shows when we want them without commercials. People can binge on one series and move onto the next on a Saturday morning. It is all about freedom. We did not have that before. They will be successful and there may be more companies popping up just like them.

17. Wikdfury

Wikdfury New Member

Netflix does a great job and they are dominating the streaming market but they do have their faults that can't compete with regular television. The main flaw with Netflix is that they are not current. If you want to watch actual TV series' you will not want to wait a year for the season to be available. For this reason I do prefer Hulu to Netflix but even still, cable has more variety of new release shows.

18. jazzarcher

jazzarcher New Member

Netflix gives you the ability to watch shows or films you want when you want. I don't like the fact you normally have to wait a week for the next episode of the series you are watching on cable TV. On top of that if you use Hola or edit your DNS settings you get access to a wider range of shows.
    I believe it will be successful for a long time because it is so much more convenient and cheaper.

19. dwt

dwt New Member

I definitely feel that Netflix will be successful in the long run. What's really boosted them is the fact that you can watch on your mobile devices. So not only can you queue movies and all of your favorite network series, they provide their own programming. I think it has left the networks playing catch-up, and to compete, eventually they'll be offering some of their programming exclusively through sites like Hulu or their own website and apps.

20. SmartLilLady86

SmartLilLady86 New Member

Honestly I don't like Netflix anymore. Hulu is my new addiction, I love how you can watch your favorite t.v. shows. On top of that, they have most of the same movies that Netflix offers, so yea I've definitely been won over by Hulu lol.