IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you read reviews first?

Discussion in 'Movies & TV' started by Fallarts, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Fallarts

Fallarts New Member

I love watching movies. However, I feel really disappointed when a movie that received much media hype ends up being just another flop. For this reason, I make sure that I read movie reviews first. I wait for a few days after the movie is released, then browse spoiler-free reviews. The sites I usually go to are Rotten Tomatoes and IMDB. I also read blogs every now and then to know other people's verdicts on films. If the film is very well reviewed, then I watch it. If not, then I just wait for it to be released on BluRay, so I can watch it at home.

Do you read movie reviews first, too?

Johattan, cr381121 and Cynthia like this.
  2. geraldr777

geraldr777 New Member

I never read reviews, i just watched the trailer. Not reading reviews actually works better, it helps you accept the film with an open mind. I love good movies at home and i also love watching great movies in the theater.

3. kuyarobi

kuyarobi New Member

I do read reviews all the time. I do understand that opinions differ from each individual and I take everything "with a grain of salt". Their opinion is just that, an opinion and I will have mine after watching it.

For example, The movie "The Postman" starring Kevin Costner got bad review on www.rottentomatoes.com, and was later deemed as the worst movie ever made. I didn't read that review before watching it. I thought the movie was great!! I loved the post apocalyptic concept an how a single drifter with a bag of mail was able to forge and new unified government. I thought it was brilliant and heart lifting.

So movie reviews is just one person opinion. I need to form m own before passing judgement.

4. ans2008

ans2008 New Member

I always read reviews because it's really important to know the quality of what you are going to watch and to know if it is worth watching.

5. abbey

abbey Member

The first thing i do is to read reviews and comments of those that have seen the movie as i believe this is a lot more true than the media hype. I have seen movies with very high ratings that were just a waste of time, i wont like to make that kind of mistake again.

6. GreekInno

GreekInno New Member

I won't read any reviews.I will check the rating on IMDB or RT though.I don't like going in complitely blind.There are way too many good movies out there for me to waste time watching a possibly bad one.

7. abhinahi77

abhinahi77 New Member

Being a movie buff myself, reviews play a major part while selecting movies. The criteria doesn't apply to latest movies only. Even choosing old movies which couldn't acquire the same popularity as some of their counterparts did, reviews come very handy to get an idea about how the movie could be and whether it will be worth the time spent watching it. I can not stop blessing IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes for the amazing work they do.

8. Briana White

Briana White New Member

I read reviews sometimes. I actually try not to though. No matter what, it usually ruins the movie experience for me in some way. I'm either expecting too much or nothing at all.

9. hooper24

hooper24 New Member

I read reviews all the time. After reading reviews you always get a better understanding thing about the movie. After reading the reviews it is really easy to decide that is it worth to watch a movie or not. It is not worth to spend money on a movie which does not have a good reviews.

10. Sergio Louro

Sergio Louro New Member

I always read the reviews because it is very important to know the quality of the context to know if it's worth watching.

11. ELMEC

ELMEC New Member

No, never! I just whatch the trailer! Because the review will influence me when I watch the movie

12. butterfly1

butterfly1 New Member

I actually do not trust movie reviews. The problem is that often times I do not know who is reviewing the movies. I can think of many occasions where I saw a bad movie review, and I saw the movie anyway, and I loved it. I would only listen to a movie review if I know who is reviewing it and the person has my similar tastes.

13. Underdog

Underdog New Member

For movies, not that much. I tend to check up on IMDB before deciding on any, but unless the average goes below 6 I don't really put that much weight on it anyhow.

Also depending on the movie (or should I say, the topic of the movie) the reviews might be highly biased for one way or another.

14. Shane

Shane New Member

I also love movies. However, my favorite genre is horror. In judging movie whether they are excellent or not, I never got the sense to review them first. Observing the cover photo is the single thing that fascinates me. This is indeed a tedious idea. I barely base the movie's content in their DVD's overlay. Seldom, the response meets my anticipations. Seldom, disappointing.

Thank you for sharing your thought. You gave me an idea to choose properly.

15. adige1431

adige1431 New Member

I read reviews first on just about everything. I read the reviews on movies, electronics, restaurants, you name it. I even read a few comments on YouTube while my video is loading. I don't let the reviews make my decisions completely though. I will usually read a good number of them, I sort of calculate an average opinion from there, and then proceed. I also have to factor in the fact that most people I know don't like what I like, or view things the way that I do, which makes up the largest percentage of my decision making process.

16. studziak

studziak New Member

I like watching films, but I'm very dissatisfied when one of them was too boring. For this reason, I usually read reviews about a next film. I don't want to know plots, so I usually use confidential websites, where I can find only users' opinion and nothing more. It's very important for me, because I don't like waste my time.

17. saintjohn47

saintjohn47 New Member

If you really want to know if that movie is something to watch then you have to read a review. I personally read reviews from IMDB and Rotten Tomatoes as you have mentioned. Other reviews are just over rated or not accurate. Moreover, if you want to read reviews from fellow viewers then you can ask in Yahoo Answers. I find yahoo answers helpful as well. On the other hand, I have to agree with other members feedback about movie reviews from Rotten Tomatoes are just off.
    Movie reviews can be acquired also in YouTube, Forums, Blog and Social Media sites. Just be sure you are at the right place if you want to read a good, honest and accurate review.

Cynthia likes this.
  18. Cynthia

Cynthia Member

I just watch the trailers on YouTube first however, they can also be deceiving because only the best or intriguing parts are highlighted. It is at this juncture that I name the top two movies that disappointed me the most...wait for it.....drum roll.....HURT LOCKER and EDGE OF DARKNESS.

19. Jade Mae

Jade Mae New Member

I do read reviews also before watching a movie. Reviews makes me to be either excited or to just leave the movie. Reviews helps a lot because it would help our expectation on that certain movie. I am reading reviews from Internet Movie Database (IMDb) and Rotten Tomatoes also. These sites give enough and satisfactory reviews.

I also consider the ratings of that movie. If the movie has poor rating, I would rather not watch that movie. That would be just a waster of time but if it has a very good rating, honestly , I would definitely watch it. Ratings and reviews helps viewers determine their movie list. :)

stargazer likes this.
  20. DeanMartin

DeanMartin New Member

It really depends on how desperate I am. Most of the time, I search for movies based on a certain actor, so I'll check out if Will Ferrel has done any movies lately, and probably find one. If there are no new movies that have been released with actors that I like, I'll sometimes browse movies and read reviews. If a movie is really popular though, I'll usually just watch it anyway.

Sttitus likes this.