IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you really know who you are?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by luisalex96, Jan 16, 2016.

1. luisalex96

luisalex96 New Member

When I was in the first year of university, a teacher asked us to answer a simple question "who are you?", I didn't know what to response so I said my name to her and I said also that I'm a human, a man. She told me that things are what I am but no Who I am, She gave us a week to think the answer and write it in a project of our life. Finally my answer was "I'm a being, I'm a sum of lot of events that gave me the chance of exist, I'm the sum of my knowledge, my experiences and my values, I'm a thing with a purpose, I'm the sum and coexistence of all my dreams"... I'm still thinking what is the answer because I felt that I was incomplete and disappointed with my answer. I hope someday answer it in a way that I feel comfortable. o_O

So what about you? Do you know yourself?

2. Julius Ceazar Reyes

Julius Ceazar Reyes New Member

Learning from you're mistakes will teach you to know who you really are. Give time on yourself to realize how important it is to accept, evaluate and to forgive. I know some of us are too perfectionist when it comes to decision making, but if you truly want to make a right decision, you must know how to experience a wrong decision also.

3. KirbysMomma

KirbysMomma New Member

I feel like at the age of almost 43, I finally know who I am. I am a caring person who always puts others first. I am a wife, a mom, a dog lover, a music lover, a writer and a believer in God Almighty. Twenty years ago, I might not have known what I would become, but honestly I am proud of the person I have turned out to be.

4. Michael Allen

Michael Allen New Member

I believe "I am the sum of my life experience".

A question to all, "Do you have one opinion or one belief that is original to you?

If you were born alone in the wilderness without any outside influence, would you still think like a Liberal or Conservative? Would you be of the Muslim faith, Christian or Zoroastrian? Would you believe the earth was flat or round? Would the answer to the last question be the Earth was flat. Or would that thought even enter your mind without some experience that would prompt you to consider such?

We experience so much stimuli from the world around us that shapes our reality.

Think about it. Have you ever had an original thought?

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  5. TJMarian

TJMarian New Member

I have a feeling that deep down inside, we all know who we really are, but sometimes we choose not to accept it, or society tries to ingrain into our heads that what we are is different, or wrong, so we try to change it. You are so much more than you choose to be, no matter how great or small you seem like. Human beings are biological machines, and our main function is response to stimuli. As a person we often get caught up in our moral beliefs, and our religious convictions to realize that not only are we capable of performing the most selfless acts of kindness, but we are also capable of performing the most terrible acts of cruelty as well. I believe that in order to understand the human experience to our fullest capacity, we must remember that we are both Christ the messiah, and Satan himself, and can claim no true affiliation with either good, nor evil. I feel like to personify the self is to feed the ego, and we must accept that.

6. maika

maika New Member

Sometimes I feel like I don't know who I really am because I'm always questioning myself. Most of the time I don't trust myself, I know what I do is correct but I'm always in doubt. I tell myself to do something but I end up not doing it because I feel like I can't do it. I don't know what I want or what i want to be, i feel like I lack confidence and until I gain that I feel i will find myself.

7. Marcelo Faria

Marcelo Faria New Member

I believe that we can never completely know who we are. Our experiences only show us what we do in some circumstances at some time. We cannot possibly know what we would do in any given situation we did not live. Of course, we can suppose what would our reaction to everything be, but I think it will never be an accurate answer. So, we only know who we are in a limited way.

8. Belovedad

Belovedad New Member

This is a really interesting question. I don't think one will find the true answer to that until the their moment of death. As you grow you evolve so you will never stay the same for too long. So the question itself is really vague from most perspectives. I think most of us know our beliefs and values and that's it. When it comes on to knowing your true self, it's a different situation.

9. ChristinaV83

ChristinaV83 New Member

I believe that you learn yourself as you go in life. Each and every experience that we encounter helps enrich our awareness of who we are and we evolve and ascend as we go.

10. R.Schulz

R.Schulz New Member

"Who are you?"

I am me. I am who I choose to be today, I will be who I choose to be tomorrow. I agree with all the comments above. You learn yourself over time. There's no accurate or in depth answer.

I think about this a lot. Every person strives to be original, to be unique. But is it possible? There are so many people on this planet and possibly beings on others. While we're not copies of each other, you'll eventually run into someone who tells you that you remind them of someone else. I like to think that I am unique, but is it so? It makes you wonder.

11. lickmydonkey

lickmydonkey New Member

No, I believe almost every individual goes through a phase of self doubt. We can never know who we are unless certain situations reveal that to us. We are always learning. Some of us change for good. Some for bad. Some never change at all.

12. NormaD

NormaD New Member

No, I can't say that I really do know myself, but I'm having a great time getting to know who I really am. Ever since I started on my journey to find my purpose and passion in life, I have never been happier. But, I've also realized that the more I find out about myself, the more there is to find out... It kind of feels like I will never get to a point where I can say that I know myself fully. But that's good news to me. My life is unfolding wonderfully and I love the fact that there will never be an end to that.