IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Do you think alcoholism is a mental health disorder?

Discussion in 'Health' started by Alice Ochieng, Jan 29, 2020.

1. Alice Ochieng

Alice Ochieng New Member

I believe alcoholism is a mental health disorder that needs to be taken seriously in treatment ,many times alcoholics are not seen as sick people who need treatment and instead labeled with so many unwarranted names.

Alcoholism is classified as a disease just like any other disease,it has a cause, it progresses, it has prognosis and is treatable /manageable. I do feel that every hospital facility should have a professional who can handle issues of alcoholism .

2. melissapatrick2008

melissapatrick2008 New Member

Unfortunately, the only people who will see alcoholism or drug addiction as a mental health issue is when they have been through it or have had a loved one go down this long, dark road. Speaking as someone who has suffered from drug addiction, the main reason I began using drugs, was mainly due to the fact that I could NOT get help with my mental health. When the doctors refused to help I decided to take matters into my own hands, and because I am far from a medical professional, I didn't realize the true damage I was inflicting upon myself.

Hopefully, within the next few years, we as a society can come together and realize that the addict in front of us could easily be one of our very own loved ones. That is when the majority of people will want to recognize these awful diseases as part of the mental health community.

Alice Ochieng likes this.
  3. Alice Ochieng

Alice Ochieng New Member

You are very right Melissa, many people only realize that alcoholism and drug addiction is a mental disorder only when there loved ones are affected and this are going out hand.

4. Alice Ochieng

Alice Ochieng New Member

You are very right Melissa, many people only realize that alcoholism and drug addiction is a mental disorder only when there loved ones are affected and this are going out hand.