IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Does "God" Really Exist?

Discussion in 'Religion & Spirituality' started by Dinbanks, Apr 16, 2015.

1. Dinbanks

Dinbanks Member

I used to think that there was one supreme being that controls everything in the universe because that's what I was taught in my Christian upbringing. In my thinking outside the box and quest for knowledge beyond what I have been taught, I have come to the conclusion that there is no one singular "God" in charge but rather each and everyone of us are actually "God's". What do you think?

2. Cindy Moten

Cindy Moten New Member

I believe in one god one name. He placed his holy spirit within us to abide in him. I read the bible as i am sure many of us do. As we are different we will all understand the content of the scriptures differently. I don't like debate because at the end we all have our difference of opinion. We shine bright because he made us. We shine bright because we allow his spirit to rein in us . From my up-bringing I only know one God exist and he died for us all and because of Jesus we are all still here! I'm thankful and i know we can't force others to believe. We can live his word and show others he does exist! Proof is in the way we live and how he always comes through for "us his children"

3. Underdog

Underdog New Member

Well, first we'd have to define what "god" is, but making the assumption that you're talking about a "supreme creator that watches over all of us" there's simply no reason to believe in such a thing existing.

acoloradogirl likes this.
  4. Rex

Rex New Member

I believe the possibility exists, except not in the religious sense. I'm an agnostic, so I don't believe in a God the way religions depict him, but I believe it's too early for science to truly say that a God doesn't exist. We still have so much we don't know about the universe and its mysteries and we've yet to fully explore even the smallest (and closest to us) fraction of it. I still believe that a religious God doesn't exist, it just doesn't make sense to me. The way all the religions explain our existence seems just too vague and passive for a "true" all-knowing God to say.

5. taylor0314

taylor0314 New Member

Hello,
    I have been a Christian for 14 years now and I love to have conversations such as these to better assist others with their religious believes and questions related to Christianity. According to the Bible there is only one God, because in the ten commandments it states that you should only worship one God which is He. (Our one God) You should worship no other than I, said God. That one commandment gives you a huge hint that there is only one God. God also states that he sent his one and only son to save the world from sin, that phrase is also singular only meaning one God. However, everyone has their own opinions on things like this. I will respect your belief, but mostly every Christian Bible states that.
    Anyway, hopefully you understand where I am coming from.

arrhen fej likes this.
  6. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Pompous Maladroit Moderator

I think what @Underdog was saying exactly that - you have to define what 'god' is. The 1st commandment only says that one should not worship any other gods other than the 'Lord', which implies that either there are others and He doesn't want the competition, or that other things CAN be worshiped as gods, thus we must define what we mean when we say 'god' - because not all of us are Christian.

@taylor0314 - How does the holy trinity fit in with the singular meaning of one God? And doesn't the bible say that we are all God's children (Deuteronomy 14:1, Acts 17:29)?

7. ZeeMan

ZeeMan New Member

I personally believe that any sort of spiritual being does not exist. At times in the past I have tried praying to the god my parents follow, but after looking at it logically I can never bring myself to it. I know in my heart that whatever I do affects my own actions and just because I don't pray to some nonexistent being changes nothing. Sometimes I find this fact depressing, but after rethinking it I realize that it is truly fact.

8. AdrianeJerden

AdrianeJerden New Member

I have supernatural experiences with GOD everyday single day. HE is the source of my life, love and everything excellent in my life. We humans are spiritual beings and without GOD this universe does not exist. All the things around were planned carefully and created by an Awesome and Unique GOD. I love and need HIM all time. HE is the Being I love MOST above everything. GOD deserves the best of me forever.

Sasha Simmons likes this.
  9. mrindependent

mrindependent New Member

I believe in God. He is worthy to be praised! The other false "gods" you heard about are nothing more than falling angels that try to deceive you.

10. Underdog

Underdog New Member

Worthy? I guess we value life differently, but I personally wouldn't hold an entity that lets people starve to death and allows for all kinds of diseases to exist "worthy" of anything.

KenBrace likes this.
  11. preacherbob50

preacherbob50 New Member

Now, let's see, whom should I reply to? It seems that Underdog does get my attention once again because he offers a bit of a challenge.
    His query regarding God "letting" people starve and suffer does pose some bit of study. I believe I have to rely on the old, "freedom of choice" enigma in order to prove that God has nothing to do with how we treat each other. He allows us to make our own choices and with those choices we do find that the rain does indeed fall on the just as well as the unjust.
    Who creates war? Mankind
    Who can feed all of the hungry population of the U.S.? We can but do not.
    Who has so polluted our earth and atmosphere which poisons humans from the first time they breath air? We do.
    Who has found so much solice in alcohol and drugs that the very DNA of said person has so dramatically changed that the offspring are deformed or mentally insufficient to sustain a normal life? Yup, we do.
    Who has diverted major waterways in order to save a small fish or feed hydroelectric plants rather than irrigate the land so that people could eek out a living and feed the nations. It couldn't be that mankind has anything to do with it, does it?
    Who are the rapists, killers, murderers, thieves, (I dare say politicians and lawyers) drug lords and prostitutes? People are.

We do have so many freedoms guaranteed by God. If He had not made such a promise to mankind, I dare say that I and many like me would not have been ALLOWED to be born for somewhere along the line, I too have been guilty of something.

One last thought, if you will allow. If you witnessed a robbery but did nothing to stop it, would you also be charged with the robbery? No, I think not, but it is also the parameter you chose to refute the existance of God. You saw it, you did nothing to stop it........you too are guilty even though someone with the freedom of choice, did it.

12. digitalsatori

digitalsatori Pompous Maladroit Moderator

Then why would he care if we sin? Why would he care if a man sleeps with another man, or if my girlfriend and I have sex before our wedding night, or if I slowly torture and gas an entire race of people? He GAVE us this freedom, but he's going to punish us for exercising it?

I have to disagree on this point. If I were omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient and I let something like that happen, I would expect be held at least partially responsible.

13. kuyarobi

kuyarobi New Member

God does not exist. He was conjured up by primitive sadistic men that thought the world was flat and women were second class citizens. Why did they make this up? Well, I think that before modern science was theorized thousands of years after delusional men had thought of "evidence of existence", they needed answers to how the world works. Why not just make a story up of an all powerful being, and capture the hearts and minds of lonely souls that are looking for answers.

That is how god came to be. A figment of mans imagination where control was the dominant factor. It was never about enlightenment.

14. Julius Mathias

Julius Mathias New Member

God does exists no matter if you believe it or not. He was there, His there, and His going to be there. The bible says that there is one God and that what I believe too. Not because of what I have read, but what I have seeing in my life. No matter what people say there is no God, He will still be there.
    Some of my friends have ask me if I have seeing God. This is what I asked them. Have you ever seeing air? If you have not, how do you know there is air? One of them answered, I haven't seeing air but he believes cause we breathe air. Good answer. I said. Then I answered his question. I have never seeing God. But I believe he exist because am alive.

Sasha Simmons likes this.
  15. MrZekrom

MrZekrom New Member

As a Christian myself, of course, I believe that God exists. I do feel that there's somebody always there right beside me even when I'm literally alone, and I do believe it's Him guiding me in anything I do. I grew up from a family with a strong faith in God. This faith in Him is what motivates me to continue my journey, despite the obstacles and challenges I have to pass through.

16. SMcIntyre

SMcIntyre New Member

"God the observer" doesn't help your argument any, if anything it makes it worse.

We're not talking about just another person standing around watching things happen, we're talking about a supreme being that has the ability to intervene as He so chooses. Nothing prevents God from:

• Stopping wars.
    • Feeding the hungry.
    • Cleaning up pollution.
    • Eradicating drugs.
    • Restoring water flows, and providing for the animal population.
    • Stopping the rapists, killers, murderers, thieves, drug lords, and prostitutes.
    He has the ability to correct all of these injustices, an yet He chooses not to.

One last thought, if you will allow: If you saw a group of five-year-olds playing with loaded guns, and you did nothing to intervene, can you really claim to be innocent when someone gets killed?

17. hope7

hope7 New Member

I believe God exists. At one time I questioned the existence of God, because of all the evil in the world. But the Bible says there will one day be a new heaven and earth where evil, sickness and death will be no more. He promises us eternal life. If God didn't exist, who would have made every creature on earth with its own complexities and DNA. Look at the beautiful islands and the night sky. The oceans and the mountains, the intelligence of humans and the gifted talents and uniqueness of each person.

18. abhinahi77

abhinahi77 New Member

Please, do not take me in wrong sense. I am a religious and spiritual person myself and do believe in a higher entity or should I say higher than the highest entities. But, your words really excite me to ask couple of things:

1) There is so much emphasis on "HE/HIM" , I presume atleast one thing that the supreme creator is actually a HE and not SHE as you have had experience with GOD every single day.

2) I would love if you could tell us more about the supernatural experiences that you go through everyday.

19. Underdog

Underdog New Member

Like said before; if an omnipotent, omnipresent, omniscient being decides that his creation can just suck it up since they fucked it up, I don't really see why this being would be worth of any praise. Did your parents never correct you when you did something wrong as a kid?

Bible must be the least trustworthy source of all. Or do you also believe that Spider-Man keeps New York City safe? Or Batman? If now, why not? There's lots of books about both.

20. kyuminette

kyuminette New Member

I believe that God really exist and the creator of heaven and earth. Everything will not be possible without God that is why we need to give time to praise him. We must follow and obey God , it is very important in our spiritual life in this world . We will not exist if there is no God , our talents and abilities to write is also a gift from him.