IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Feeling Like You Read Too Slowly?

Discussion in 'Education' started by Joy Smith, Jun 22, 2019.

?

Do you speed read or take your time when reading?

1. Speed read

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Take my time

100.0%
  3. It depends on what I am reading

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. None

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. IDK

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Joy Smith

Joy Smith New Member

I'm personally one of those people that does not continue reading on to the next sentence of a text until I have reached 100% comprehension of the current one. Unfortunately, this did not help me much in school with standardized testing and in-class reading. Most people just speed read. Now while this may help one to breeze through the content faster, you may also lose some important details in the process. So lately I have been using a website called acereader.com which allows you to read articles and stories of all different levels and calculate your WPM (words per minute). Then you answer about 4-5 questions to show what you have learned. It has actually helped me to know where I stand with my speed and keeps me reading over the Summer before school starts again. A tip for the more slow readers out there; Instead of reading one word at a time, read in chunks of about 4-5 words at a time and watch how much you accelerate through the pages of a book. :)

-Joy

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  2. Nickesha Bailey

Nickesha Bailey New Member

Hello Joy, I too find at times that my reading have to be done over and over. There are times when I just quickly run through what is there, and then I would be like; what was happening here? then I end up having to go over all again.
    I think this has to do with you wanting to get the information faster than your eyes and brain can process it. Reading nowadays is filled up with so much social media jargon, that there are literally times when I have to do a double take just to understand some of these new additions!

3. anthonyhurtadox

anthonyhurtadox New Member

I've always read too slow but that's okay, I figure what's more important is what you read and whether you are able to integrate it as part of your life. It's actually better if you get a condensed overview of a subject and then read about the details later, so you have a foundation to connect the new information to allowing you to integrate the knowledge.