IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Is dance a sport?

Discussion in 'Sports' started by Gaga, Mar 8, 2019.

1. Gaga

Gaga New Member

I dance my whole life. I am not a professional and dancing is just hobby to me. But when I tell people that my favorite sport is dance, they say that dance is not even a sport. And I don't understand why they think that.

I think that dance is definitely a sport and that dancers should get more credits for what they are doing. I can tell you that it is not easy at all, you need to move your whole body and you need to be fit, if you want to be good at it. It takes a lot of hard work and commitment.

What do you think? Is dance a sport?

2. Gergana

Gergana New Member

I don't think you get less credit if you say dance isn't a sport. Depends on the dance style I suppose. But I dance ballet, and although you have to be very athletic, it is definitely not a sport - it's an art form. I think the main idea is about what you consider more important in what you do. In sports, that would be precise rules, game, competition. In ballet it's about telling a story and expression, and although you need to be in great shape, that doesn't make it sport, but an art.

3. BlaMeese

BlaMeese New Member

As someone who has also danced, albeit not professionally, I would have to say that dance is not a sport. It is definitely physically demanding and takes hours and hours of practice to succeed, but it is still officially an art form.

I will say that I am little surprised that it isn’t a sport, because it seems to fit the definition you find on google. I think in most people’s minds it’s in the same category as cheer. It’s not a sport, but it looks a lot like one.

4. Sarah Lee

Sarah Lee New Member

I have a daughter that has been competitive dancing for the last five years and I am here to tell you that yes, dance is absolutely a sport. I was not happy that she wanted to dance. I did not want to be a dance mom. That is literally the last kind of mother I am. However, she has worked so hard. The amount of time practicing and the skill level that she has attained, the moves, the dieting, the work-outs, the routines, the listening to the same musical score over and over just to get her timing right. Then there are the injuries. So many girls with bruised feet, bleeding toes, sprained ankles, torn ligaments, muscles, and stress fractures. Dancing takes an incredible amount of discipline, time, and money. I have no idea why it is not considered a sport, nor do I understand how little funding or support within the educational system there is to help encourage our children who have the desire to be twinkle toes. It really is an incredibly beautiful sport!