IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Is there such thing as BAD art??

Discussion in 'Art' started by Mya Taylor, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Mya Taylor

Mya Taylor New Member

The saying goes one man trash is another man's treasure but could one man's trash also be another man's trash. Should everyone's 'art' be considered art? If someone draws a blue line on a canvas and declare it as their art, is it art or just a blue line on a canvas. And if it is art then what classifies it value can the proclaimed artist now sell his art on eBay for $400+?

Wendy Goldy likes this.
  2. Wendy Goldy

Wendy Goldy New Member

Well i dont think so because in my opinion, art is art! but yes you are right. Your example of the blue line on the canvas is true. Up till now i still haven't understood why some people will consider everything as art. The art needs to have a defination. what is that art about? What is the value of that art? Those are the things to be normally considered and not just drawing anything out of nowhere and considering it as an art.

3. Wendy Goldy

Wendy Goldy New Member

4. Elliot

Elliot New Member

Yes, there is absolutely such a thing as bad art, just like there's such a bad thing as bad writing, bad photography, or bad pizza. Some things just suck. What we define as bad is really going to vary based on our views and opinions though.

You mentioned a blue line being counted as amazing artwork and being sold for hundreds. You are not wrong. This was extremely common, especially back in historic times. People valued symbolism and found different shape patterns intriguing. It eventually got in a lot of interest by others and caused many pieces of artwork to become increasingy popular, many still being well-known today.

That being said, I think it's clear that if you draw a blue line on canvas now you aren't going to be booming in cash (sorry to disappoint!). Like Wendy said, art has value and every art piece has a purpose. We've recognized that there are features in art that can be expressed more strongly than just shapes. The theme, emotion, shading, proportion, and color are all factors considered far more in the art world now.

Anyhow, to answer the original question, I do belive there is such a thing as bad art. But because art is defined and seen differently to everyone, opinions will always vary. I think it's clear that people found some value in the blue line drawing if they were willing to pay hundreds of dollars for it. To each their own.

5. frootloopsrcool

frootloopsrcool New Member

I think that all art is GOOD art, in that it exists and there's some sort of message in it. Calling something "bad" art is an opinionated statement, which is fine to say, since you may not like something, but it would be more correct to say I don't like that art, rather than saying the art itself is bad because that's simply not factual.

6. Elliot

Elliot New Member

Eh, in the technical sense I suppose you can say that. In an art school or degree that you're trying to pursue, don't expect people to be afraid to say your art is bad. There are genuine reasons why someone's artwork might suck and it's a reason why it's so hard getting money out of it. You're controlled over what people tell you to do if you want to make some career out of it. So sure, it's opinionated, but there might be some value out of the opinion. If someone says your pizza is bad because the crust is soggy and burnt, your pizza probably isn't the greatest. The same goes with art.

If you're going to claim an artwork is bad, there needs to be a reason behind it. That's why constructive criticism is so critical in art. Don't say art is bad simply because you feel like it's bad - explain how it is. That's the only way bad artwork can go from being good. And if you think it's bad simply because it's not your type of art? That's fine, too. Like Froot said, art is all based on opinions and that's what makes it so special.

7. emmawrites

emmawrites New Member

I'd say that its value is more due to the price. While there's not much talent in painting a blue line, the finished product can look good in a house, but even so I think most buyers purchase art because the idea of there being a high price "sounds good". It's a shame, though, that this is what "modern art" is considered -- something as simple as a black circle on a page.

8. Allain Zenith Sabandal

Allain Zenith Sabandal New Member

I don't think there's such a thing as 'good' or 'bad' art. It is the way an individual perceives and interprets a piece. One could do an artwork that does not represent any object yet many people could understand the message behind it and associate it with different themes and emotions.

9. Anant Verma

Anant Verma New Member

There are subjective standards in art that determine whether art is good or bad. I think that everyone deserves the chance to decide on their own whether a work of art is good or bad.

10. Barns

Barns New Member

It really all depends on your perspective, or the way you perceive the so called, "Art". I do think that one man's trash can be another man's treasure, but i strongly believe that there will always be someone that has a higher evaluation of it. That is a part of what makes the world such an amazing place as everyone is entitled to their own opinions. Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder, don't you think?