IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Laptop or Desktop?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Fallarts, Apr 17, 2015.

1. rojuslap

rojuslap New Member

Last edited: Aug 29, 2020
  2. faithb

faithb New Member

I guess it depends on who will use it. As what you've mentioned, you're a gamer so your desktop computer is perfectly fine.

It's not the case for me. I prefer a laptop over a desktop computer. As a student, it is more useful and convenient. I can just easily bring it along with me wherever I go. I can do my paper stuffs and research at school, at a cafe or anywhere I want to work. During my free time, I work on the things I need to finish. For students, it is more productive to carry a laptop around.

3. MrZekrom

MrZekrom New Member

Although I use both, I'm more comfortable using a desktop computer than a laptop. I don't know if it's just me, but it's easier to manipulate a desktop compared to a laptop. As others have said here, if you need a portable computer then go on with a laptop. But if you're a stationary user, then a desktop fits for you.

Julius Mathias likes this.
  4. Julius Mathias

Julius Mathias New Member

I actually had both but then I found myself using desktop more than laptop. I think this is because now I can do everything I did on my laptop now on my smartphone.
    I have even sold my laptop. My Lumia 1520 has office which I use everyday for my business. I have been upgrading my desktop every 3 months for the last 2 years.
    So I prefer desktop more than laptop.

5. VidanGraphic

VidanGraphic New Member

I preferred laptop, because it does fit in easily to me wherever I go. No hassle on connecting and disconnecting the cables. Simply turn it on and start the work. Make sure to charge the battery. Make sure to change the battery when it is really on the draining situation. Above all make sure to have an extra battery when you carry your business in different places. But it's just my opinion , i think the desktops are for office work .

6. John Christopher

John Christopher New Member

I prefer a laptop over a desktop. Of course it is mobile but I like the idea of being able to work just about anywhere besides a desk.

7. zarag8w

zarag8w New Member

I actually have both a laptop and a desktop. I can't say I have more preference in one over the other. When I'm at home, I actually like to use my desktop because the monitor is much bigger. I can open a lot of screens compared to my 15" inch laptop. Plus, it runs faster than my laptop. However, as I also need to work outside the house/office, the laptop definitely offers the mobility I require. In this sense, the laptop is the winner.
    Anyway, there was one mention here about the inability of a desktop to connect to wifi. Actually, one can just buy a USB wifi adapter. Install the DVD that comes with the package, and your desktop should be good to go to connect to available wifi. At least, that's what I did to my desktop and I have no trouble accessing WIFI.

8. Shane

Shane New Member

I am currently using a laptop which is Asus. I prefer a laptop because it is comprehensive and hassle free to purchase the other demands compare to PC. I was experiencing a freezing laptop though, but it is fixed. Earlier, I thought PC is better. I am planning to buy a brand-new laptop soon. My little sister told me it should be PC, but I'm not an avid gamer. I am also engaged regarding the innovation of the Apple Pink Macbook Pro. The design is girly and durable.

9. kikofran

kikofran New Member

Use the laptop to 5 years.
    Can I take you wherever I want, I just need to have the battery and the charger. So I prefer the laptop.
    But for those who do not need to move the computer to various places is better desktop.

10. yoyo88

yoyo88 New Member

I would have to say my laptop I carry it around with me everywhere it's so convenient ! The only time I use my desk top now days is to record . I love that I can toss my laptop in a bag and work pretty much anywhere . Having children this proved to make my life less stressful .

11. Kimo

Kimo New Member

For Home users the question of laptop or desktop can be more an issue of having a place to setup the computer in a permanent place. Laptops are more mobile and can be placed many places but usually are limited to the amount you attach to them becasue of space limitations. For the business user the issue is security. Most companies give employees desktops because as they are ususally fixed in one place. Whereas the business traveller may have a laptop the inserts into a docking station at work which gives them the benefits of a desktop(bigger monitor, network printing etc).

12. kyuminette

kyuminette New Member

My laptop has already been with me for 10 yrs that is why I prefer laptop. Its easier for me to work while at the same time I can do my business. I'm travelling sometimes because of my business and my laptop is always been with me . It was my long time partner and my best friend . when I feel bored I just open my laptop and connect with internet and read something from any sites. Specially with my writing sites , laptop makes me feel comfortable by doing my job .

Last edited: Apr 23, 2015
  13. lion

lion New Member

The portability of laptops is handy. Even though I never took mine out of the house, it was still nice to be able to move it from room to room, lay on my bed with it, and even take it outside.

But I have a Desktop now because they're so much cheaper for higher specs, since I like to game. Good gaming laptops are really expensive and the benefits of a laptop weren't worth the additional money. Furthermore, Desktop PCs are much easier to upgrade when you require better specifications.

I might get a laptop at a later date if I get a job where I need to bring one into work, though.

14. Goodwin17

Goodwin17 New Member

I completely prefer a laptop over a desktop. In fact, I haven't had a home desktop computer in over a decade now. I feel that a laptop reigns supreme due to its lightweight portability. I love how I can work on my computer from my back deck or my living room. And you certainly can't travel with a desktop computer. If I go on vacation or even if my husband goes to the local riverfront park to fish then I can take my computer with me. Since there's Wifi access in so many locations these days, I can check my email from just about anywhere.

15. bluemarion

bluemarion New Member

I personally think that owning both can be really useful at various times. Sometimes, I might have back problems where I'm unable to sit in front of a computer monitor because the chair can be very uncomfortable. When I really need to lay and use my computer at the same time I feel really thankful for having a laptop because it serves my needs while I'm laying on my bed, however, if I didn't have a desktop it would of been hard too because generally desktops cost less money for offering a greater performance than laptops.

16. dannixx55

dannixx55 New Member

Of coarse I would choose a laptop over a desktop because a laptop has more advantages. I mostly like laptops because they are more portable and their weight and size are smaller than a desktop. Desktops take a lot of space which adds up to why I prefer laptops more.

17. DeanMartin

DeanMartin New Member

I've strictly only owned laptops over the last five years. I just like the freedom to be able to pick up and go wherever I want to, whether it's the couch or to the library. I hate the idea of being chained to a desk. I'll visit my parents a few times a week and I'll see my Dad sitting at his PC for hours at a time. I don't know how he does it.

18. Pedro Soares

Pedro Soares New Member

Of course laptop`s, it`s what we can carry on for every where, its light, no need to be always plugged in, the down side is not the best graphics to play and the big screen...

19. W Scribe

W Scribe New Member

Currently, my laptop is connected to a 52" television. So does that technically make it a desktop since I don't move it? I also have a few external hard drives connected to it. So far it works well for me and no other family members complain about it.

20. mou3ad15

mou3ad15 New Member

Personally I do travel a lot every week, that's why I need a laptop computer so I can take with me everywhere to watch movies, check my websites, etc...

That doesn't mean that I don't like the desktop computers, they are good enough for games lovers and for someone who doesn't need to move it everywhere he goes.