IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Music while studying?

Discussion in 'Music' started by Cara101, May 31, 2015.

1. GenkiWORld

GenkiWORld New Member

Whether or not music helps students focus, understand and collect information better depends entirely on the kind of student that person is. Not all of us have the same learning styles and how we learn affects our studies too. For example, I’m a quick learner and I can’t stand total silence while I’m studying. As a result, in order to improve my focus and study time quality, I have to have music playing on the background.
    However, someone else will find it extremely difficult to study with any music, or noise on the background. For those students, total silence works best to focus and organize their ideas. Yet there is another group of students that can’t stand being in a room studying while listening to music, or studying in total silence. These students learn best at public and fairly active places. They are the ones that will take their study time to a Starbucks, or other public facility.

You have to identify your learning style and which method of studying you will benefit from the best. Perhaps music is not for you, regardless of what those studies have suggested.

2. iJas

iJas New Member

I have tried studying while enjoying my favorite tunes, with less than productive outcome. The music seems to put me in a good mood, but not much progress in my studies.

It's like studying with your best friend, always ends like one big, chatty therapeutic celebration! May not have gained any knowledge on the subject, but you have learned more about those around you. Sounds like a WIN to me!

3. Marrose

Marrose New Member

When I was still a student, I always play music whenever I'm studying. And I prefer listening to rock music or heavy metal as I tend to doze off whenever I'm studying for an exam or when solving engineering problems. Unlike other people who get distracted by music, I get to concentrate more when there's music playing on the background when I'm studying or doing homework.

4. alehandroh4

alehandroh4 New Member

I think if you know how to play music it's a lot harder to study while listening to music, because you start analyzing the song- listening to the instruments, the lyrics, etc. But on the other hand, if it's completely silent I think it is easier to get distracted by the smallest things, so having some sort of constant noise like music or the TV in the background as long as it's quiet and doesn't fluctuate in volume might help a little.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2015
  5. ariff15

ariff15 New Member

I have often heard students say that they listen to music while study. Many studies shown that music help stimulates the brain and that listening to the right music can help you concentrate and retain information.

I have tried this method and it doesn't really work for me because i got distracted easily. I will listen to one song and it won't be long before i end up listening to the entire album, forgetting what I'm supposed to be studying. If you are not easily distracted, this method might help.

6. nightwalker

nightwalker New Member

Yes, exactly! This feature of the human brain totally depends on how you can manage multitasking. I totally like the fact that you've respected other people's likes and dislikes and considered it while writing this message.

Speaking of myself, I'd like to say that I love Mathematics and listening to music while solving a question completely soothes my mind.

Music with guitars and drums are an alrighty for me.

7. Haydian

Haydian New Member

My thoughts exactly @fatema. I only study with classical music only, it relaxes me cut out distractions and helps me to accomplish when I set out to do. When I put my earplugs in and relax with my books everything seems clearer, and I start understanding things I never understood before. I can imagine myself studying without classical music playing.

Not only does classical music help with studying but it is also very relaxing to the mind and it makes reading and writing much more pleasurable.

8. Vinicius

Vinicius New Member

Formerly, I thought it was a bad idea listening to music during my university activites, in special, when i was studying Physics. However, a friend suggested me to hear classical musics to keep my concentration. I had never heard any classical music. But It worked with me! Now, i cannot study without music. I recommend Age of Mythology soundtrack, it is a tranquil music to study. These songs bring a peace that is important in times of study.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2015
  9. Barbara Martins

Barbara Martins New Member

I would not say that television is bad for me because I like to watch TV Shows and some other kind of program. However, I think the TV programs has decreased in quality and variety. When you go to watch something, you will probably find programs about violence, sexy or a reality show. I prefer to watch comedies or movies, but they are not the major of the programs. Although, the TV has all those problems, I still spend a lot of time watching television. That happens because I do like soup operas.

10. Barbara Martins

Barbara Martins New Member

Studying and listening to music at the same time? No, it does not work for me. When I am studying I like to be in a such quiet place. I need it to concentrate me. However, being honest, the problem is not just the fact that I am studying, but listening to music is not a hobbie that I like too much. Actually, I do not use to listen music at all. Now, you might be asking "How can someone do not like to listen music?". I know, it is weird but I do not! Usually, about 30 min after I turn on the player I am kind of stressed, and I need turn off. Maybe I did not find the right songs yet!

11. Leca

Leca New Member

I have heard a lot of people saying they have to listen music while studying. I do not agree. I think the person will lose focus on the studying and focus on the music instead.i personally know persons who swear by listening to music while studying and their exam grades are less than satisfactory. I absolutely cannot listen to music while studying. So I agree with the studies that states, the human brain is very hard to multi task between audio and sight.

12. lena

lena New Member

Personally I have tried it severally especially when I am stressed up, but it does not help in any manner because you can never concentrate on the studies. At times you even find yourself dancing with the rhythm of the particular music that is playing. It is so hard hard for a human's mind to multitask though it works out for others.

I wish it could be a solution for all because music is so awesome and makes you feel live at all times. An issue arises with the kind of music that you are playing. It can be boring if you just choose to listen to any type of music. You always need to be selective for you to feel and enjoy your music.

13. JohnClicker

JohnClicker New Member

Of course music helps to concentrate, U just have to choose the right one.

YES classical music is great, and of course rock music won't help, it is design to make you sing and dance, to remember old times.

But there is another kind of music that makes U concentrate. To understand, think how your brain works, its threw brain waves, electric impulses, so imagine that you listen to a music that stimulate those electric waves in a way that makes U concentrate really hard, and that song is neuralbeats. For an example visit http://www.linkbucks.com/OfLo

14. glorious grace

glorious grace New Member

I guess it depends on a person. Usually the music lovers wants and learn more if they are listening to music but others they want a peaceful and quiet surroundings