IMPORTANT: Please read our Guide To Quality Writing before you begin posting!

Dismiss Notice
Please note that we are only approving writers from the US, UK and Canada at this time.

Outdoor Activities: Do you prefer swimming at the Beach or in a Pool?

Discussion in 'Outdoors' started by thisnthat, Apr 19, 2015.

1. Browncoat

Browncoat New Member

I prefer the beach. When I try to swim lanes at the pool, I am always worried about banging my head against the wall (while doing backstroke or elementary backstroke). If it is a family friendly pool, I get nervous about little kids peeing in the water.

In fact, just last weekend we were at a water park. After going down a bunch of crazy water slides, we decided to relax at the pool. We got there just in time to see the maintenance guys scooping out a piece of poo with the net. Gross!

2. Mandi

Mandi New Member

Even though I am lucky enough to live right on one of the Great Lakes with easy access to many beaches, I much prefer a pool. Sand is a pet peeve of mine! It gets everywhere!! I do enjoy a day on the lake on a boat, minus the sand ;).

3. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Member

I like pool swimming beccause I had an experienc at the ocean once that scared me silly. I felt something swim by me, so I went right out of the beach and sat on the sand the rest of the day till we went home. I like the pool nothing in it but water, lol. Our family did a lot of clam digging when I was a young girl and I fell in love with the waves lapping on the beach & the fresh scents of the beach with all it's wildlife flying around, but as far as swimming goes it's the pool for me.

Oneka Laurent likes this.
  4. chingam116

chingam116 New Member

• Why go to the pool when you can go the beach? I love some swimming pools though the big ones that are made up of different pools and have loads of long winding tube slides that splash into the water and you're allowed body boards and the like that's awesome! But I would rather spend a day outside on a nice beach where I could have a few cold beers in a quite more secluded spot on the beach somewhere and watch the sun go down than be inside an enclosed swimming pool staring at a wall! LOL It's like choosing between going out and having a burger or staying in and having a steak! Oohh that's my next VS right there! :D

5. Oneka Laurent

Oneka Laurent New Member

Heti Damani I agree that indeed one needs to consider safety, and one's phobias when choosing a spot to swim. The last thing one needs is a panic attack in water.

I like the beach. Living in Dominica going to the beach is like a mini adventure. Myself and family would make sure we pick a spot that is close to the river so as to rinse off before heading back to the comforts of our home. Many of the rivers offers natural pools. The fresh, cold water is very therapeutic. The ripples created by the rocks as the water flows is a natural Jacuzzi. ha ha! However I would only go to the beach as long as hubby is there. He's my life guard!

6. Kaitlyn Massey

Kaitlyn Massey New Member

I agree with most of you that I enjoy swimming in a pool more than a lake or the ocean. The second best option for me though is to find a spring/blue-hole. If the water is crystal clear, you get the best of both worlds. There was also a crystal clear lake near Frostproof, FL. I don't remember the name of the lake, or exactly where it was, but you could see clear to the bottom, and the water was still so you could see all the fish and anything coming towards you. It's still not as good as a pool -- my friend had to run and splash to scare off a water snake even in the clear lake ~ it was scary!! But, at least she could clearly see it coming!

7. BloomingThrough

BloomingThrough Member

I would prefer swimming at a swimming pool because of the fact that it's closed in. A beach is very open and anything can be in it. I'm really not a great swimmer so I find that a swimming pool is just enough water for me. I love the simplicity of sitting on the side of the pool, or inside the water and know what I'm getting myself into. The swimming pool provides the different numberings 3ft, 6ft, etc. and it fits my comfort zone. I love going to the beach though and the scenery that it has to offer.

8. spike1206

spike1206 New Member

I prefer swimming in a pool rather than an ocean or lake because of its privacy and proximity. Swimming in the ocean or lake are fun activities, but neither offer the privacy or proximity of a pool. For me, I have a pool in my backyard, so its as close as it gets. In a pool, you don't have to worry about any unwanted creatures or infections (amebas in lakes) because the chlorine/salt kills it all and no animals reside in your pool (hopefully!). Also, pools are crystal clear and you can see everything that's going on and it just feels more relaxing to me.

9. Safi

Safi New Member

I prefer swimming in a pool then in the ocean. Swimming in the ocean is much more adventurous.The waves,the extent of the free water makes me excited.If I had an ocean in the proximity,I would gladly have my swimming in each and every moment.
    The only disadvantage of swimming in the ocean is the uncontrollable leaves,sand,insects,crabs and scorpions which are rather scaring.Lastly as much as swimming is fun,I feel for my hair.I have to get it fixed again.

10. pwee

pwee New Member

Both. I love swimming whether in the beach or in the pool, it doesn't matter. I will go to the beach in the summer but I will prefer to swill in the pool when its rainy season. During the rainy season the current in the beach is strong so I prefer the pool where it is more safe.

11. plenc

plenc Member

Swimming at the beach is mostly splendid, every second spent is entirely eventful. Swimming is a propitious exercise because all parts of the body is engaged in the exercise, this lead's to proper relaxation of the nerves and muscles. People who participate in swimming exercises are found to be highly productive and very alert in emergencies.
    Fresh air helps the brain think and respond faster, because enough oxygen is supplied to the blood and in turn the brain. The experience of watching great waves rattle across the beach is actually fascinating, swimming at the beach is very interesting because it provides the opportunity of meeting other experienced swimmers. So Hey one thing that you don't find in pools is the waves, now who don't like waves, besides i wouldn't want to restrict myself with a human bound boundary rather i would like to enjoy the gifts of nature. The waters of swimming pools are often chlorinated and urinated by people but in case of beaches, common we know nature is the best. There are lot many other advantages a beach has over swimming pool, when my brothers and i were kids we could have fun building sand castles, if we get bored of swimming we can go surfing or boating or anything because there is no boundary.

12. nosleep3134

nosleep3134 Member

I prefer to do my swimming in a hot tub. The beach to me can seem like huge litter box literally full of other people droppings.
    though swimming is not in my nature it always a good feeling to get my hair wit so when i say "Im going for a dip in the pool"
    Im a cannon ball to the bottom and then im out. Swimming pools aren't used much by me except a good excuse to take my shirt off.

13. Gee Wanjiru

Gee Wanjiru New Member

I prefer the beach. There is something about the beach that seems to act like a magnet for me. I am in love with the waves the way they obey the wind and dance back and forth, up and down. I like to just stand at the wave when it is predictable and have it push me with it. You should try it, it is such an awesome feeling. Make sure though you are not in too deep into the sea, just close to the shore.

I am not such a good swimmer but I find it easier to swim at the beach. Some beach boys at one of the beaches I go to told me that the sea/ocean water is less dense than the pool water. I do not know how true that is though.

I love to walk on the sand barefoot, with the wind blowing on my face and hear the ocean roar. At the beach I get to collect shells and learn a lot about marine life. Talking about it makes me miss the coast.